• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 bits

I put something together very similar to your setup, but the t/o bearing wasn't tall enough in the end. When I push the clutch pedal in all the way it doesn't dsiengage the pressure plat and I checked to make sure the fork was moving as far as it could. I pretty sure Doug had the same problem and ended up getting a taller t.o bearing. I ordered some extensions from John Parker so those should fix the problem. Heres a pic of my setup that failed. http://www.pbase.com/image/20112406

DavoS40 said:
I put something together very similar to your setup, but the t/o bearing wasn't tall enough in the end. When I push the clutch pedal in all the way it doesn't dsiengage the pressure plat and I checked to make sure the fork was moving as far as it could. I pretty sure Doug had the same problem and ended up getting a taller t.o bearing. I ordered some extensions from John Parker so those should fix the problem. Heres a pic of my setup that failed. http://www.pbase.com/image/20112406

Which TO bearing did you use? How tall was it? Was it the same part as mine?

Hey guys, the problem with mine was two fold:

The ford TO bearing was not tall enough upon my first attempt so the fork was making contact with the pressure plate, stalling the motor.

attempt 2 resulted in the TO bearing bottoming out on the fork causing it to sieze and stall the motor.

Attemp 3: Some goofy ass tractor TO bearing, welded a plate to the bottom made it tall, works great but rattles.

Can't remeber the part # and it's still in the car right now, I don't think it was tha same company but looked identical to yours. I would just get the extensions from JP they were only $26, defianetly worth not having to pull your motor or tranny later(like me).
Dave

I too got the spacer set from JP, using a stock throwout bearing for the 5.0.
Just got the tranny in today and should be finished up tomorrow morning!
I'll let you know how it goes....

noah244ti said:
I too got the spacer set from JP, using a stock throwout bearing for the 5.0.
Just got the tranny in today and should be finished up tomorrow morning!
I'll let you know how it goes....

I should be installing my T5 today or tomorrow (Thurs) and I too have the spacer set from JP. Noah, please post how the clutch/clutch fork works in your 240 when you get it in. It all looks to me like it should fit fine, but the problems Doug had worry me.
Dave B.

just a ?. how would you work it. when you have this type of fork

ignore the pivot point poking through it went nearly 3 weeks ago

large.jpg

Sorry, I would have replied earlier but I was out testing my new tranny... hehehe...

Dave, The clutch works perfectly! I'm using the stock pressure plate (for now) with a carbon/organic disc supplied by JP.

My original plan was to have the front section shortened of my m46 driveshaft too, but once I noticed that all my U joints and center support bushing were shot I opted for the one piece. I jot my measurements from Doug (thanks) which were 66 3/8" center to center of the yokes and 3" diameter...
No rubbing whatsoever in the DL tunnel. I know Doug was having some problems with his scraping because his rearend was a little to one side before he adjusted his panhard rod.

27465346.jpg

1/4" thick plate steel welded to the bottom of the crossmember. Couldn't have been easier.

27481434.jpg

I'm using the stock ford tranny mount. Works great and helps keep the engine from rocking as much as it did with the stock tranny mount.
Move the crossmember to the farthest back setting and it all lines up perfectly!

27481490.jpg

I gotta say. the gear ratios on this tranny are absolutly perfect! (I have the 3.35 1st model)
and was a bit worried about the gearing being quite a bit higher than my M46, not a problem at all.

Oh! and the best part... hehe... The (super) short shifter!

27482090.jpg

Just woundering if the 66 3/8" driveshaft length is thay for a 242, 244 or both? Nice setup Noah I'll probably make my crossmember identicle to yours, it's very simple and clean.
Dave

The driveshaft will fit all 240's.... I got my measurements from Dougs 242 : )

Davo, Let me double check the DS length before you go have one made. I wouldn't want to be responsible for your's being wrong... You do need the rear flange (that bolts to your rear end) from your DS to bring into the shop. they wont have one of those.

One other minor problem... the reverse switch on the t5 is reversed, the lights are on all the time and turn off when going into reverse. No biggie though, I'm stoked its done!

Ok... old auto tranny is out and I'm going to start reassembly with the T5 now.

Noah,
Question about the Ford pilot bearing. The old auto pilot bearing came right out of the end of the crank (probably like your manual one did I suppose), but I'm finding the Ford bearing much tighter going in. I think it'll go if I persuade it, but before I use a hammer, I want to check if this is what you found.

Oh, and I think I'm going to shorten the front shaft and keep the two piece setup for now. I actually have the driveshaft I pulled from the donor 240 (where I got the bell housing and pedal box, etc.) The manual trans driveshaft is beefier than the auto trans one.

And that crossmember setup looks to be just right. I was looking at it under my car thinking that might be a possibility. Thanks for paving the way Noah.
Dave B.

Last edited:
I didn't have any problems with my t5 pitot bearing going in at all, it was about the same as my m46 pilot bearing...
When I went to order it I told them it was for an 89 stang, but they should all be the same.
Maybe try to throw some grease on the outside of the bearing to help it get in there.
Good luck and post pic's as soon as its done!

mine required some love taps from a hammer (with a board spread across it so it recieved force evenly) no issue on both my 21 and 23ft motors.

Doug

Nice pistures and info boys! when t5 time comes I'm definately gonna be consulting this thread!

Thanks!

Unregistered said:
mine required some love taps from a hammer (with a board spread across it so it recieved force evenly) no issue on both my 21 and 23ft motors.

Doug

Ok, the love taps worked great. The pilot bearing went in easier than I thought it would.

T5 trans is in.... but I might have a PROBLEM:
I'm not sure yet, but I think I might have a problem with the clutch fork. With the clutch cable adjusted with just a little play it looks like the fork is too far forward. (See pics below... clutch fully engaged, clutch pedal released)

Let me know what you think. The car is a ways off from driving so I don't know if the clutch will completely disengage or not. I cannot get the pedal to push all the way to the floor.

If it won't work I'm faced with two options that I can think of...
1. Remove everything and install a longer pivot for the fork.
2. notch the bell housing (?)
Dave B.
040104-003-lo-res.JPG

040104-004-lo-res.JPG

Attachments

• 040104-003-lo-res.JPG
    040104-003-lo-res.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 040104-004-lo-res.JPG
    040104-004-lo-res.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: