• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jimbo's Green Wagon: 1972 145S

My step grandfather collects cars up in Minnesota and he said he bought a restored 50s Studebaker out of nostalgia, being that It was the same year and model as his first car. when he finally drove it he said he hated it & he had forgotten how absolute **** it handled and he sold it pretty shortly after that

It's good know what you like and what you don't. No point in messing about with something that isn't going to make you happy. I've never been an American classic car guy and that won't ever change.

The suspension and steering is tight, and the thing is woefully unengaging in every corner.

Great car to look at, easy enough to work on, but absolute **** to drive in any situation other than 55 mph on scenic byways.

How's it different from the 142?

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I'm not impressed with this car in any capacity.
Yep, the engine makes OK power. Actually, for a B20, I'd imagine it's pretty good. My dad's 230k mile v70r in limp mode will outrun this thing, get better MPG, and be more reliable.
The suspension and steering is tight, and the thing is woefully unengaging in every corner.

Great car to look at, easy enough to work on, but absolute **** to drive in any situation other than 55 mph on scenic byways.

Didn't you sell this once then buy it back again?
I'm beginning to think you are ADD!! :rofl:
Yes, it is 60's technology. It is not going to handle like a VW Golf (or even an 80's Rabbit). It's an OHV inline 4, developed from a tractor engine. It was never intended for off the line sprints. The gearbox is geared for Swedish logging roads, not keeping up with 80 mph I-95 traffic.
It will be fairly reliable, as far as 50 year old cars go. Consumables are still fairly inexpensive. You'll get from here to there eventually, but probably shouldn't be in to big of a hurry.
But as a daily driver, it probably shouldn't be. A Sat / Sun, go to Home Depot for some 2X4's, or for a weekend drive is what it is best suited for. Enjoy it for what it is.

Yes, it is 60's technology.

It's an OHV inline 4, developed from a tractor engine.

The gearbox is geared for Swedish logging roads, not keeping up with 80 mph I-95 traffic.

ahem... CHARM

but yeah if you're trying to go fast, a 140 ain't it.

Use the car to go do something with a "vintage" appeal, like a drive in movie or drive in burger joint.

Go to an antique shop. Get some lumber, build something.

Look at this guy. Has a window cleaning business and uses his 145 as a ladder hauler

XbduAeIl.jpg

9LbpghLl.jpg

Last edited:
Ian is right on the money. This would give the wagon a great purpose. I honestly think 140s are better as slow car. I want to own a 144 and never once considered a need for it to be fast.

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I'm not impressed with this car in any capacity.
Yep, the engine makes OK power. Actually, for a B20, I'd imagine it's pretty good. My dad's 230k mile v70r in limp mode will outrun this thing, get better MPG, and be more reliable.

So, just out of curiousity, how is that any different than a VW bus from which you derive your screen name?

Sad to see you exiting the 140 game

1: it's ADHD and severe depression.
2: Speed is not the issue. I fixed my fueling issue, and it actually has some usable torque now. I just wanted something that didn't need to go to redline in every gear to keep up with traffic.
3: I understand old cars have charm. I've been working on old stuff for money since I was eligible to pay taxes.

I should clarify, Monday night the car damn near left me stranded after the "high rpm stutter" I mentioned earlier had gotten so bad that it would run well for 45 seconds, die off, run again, die off, until it died completely and I got it running right before the AAA tow showed up.

Turns out, the fuel filter the PO had installed only flows fuel one way, and when I reversed the fuel lines to move the filter closer to the pump (distributor side of the engine) instead of right by the manifolds, the filter didn't want to flow that direction.

So, just out of curiousity, how is that any different than a VW bus from which you derive your screen name?
Buses are cheap to repair/work on and there isn't any real image of sportiness or performance associated with them. You get in one and expect that the joy of driving comes from just driving like a normal person and not dying.

Sad to see you exiting the 140 game
Lol. Nobody's gonna buy either car, as evidenced by the single offer of $1000 I got on the 142 6 months ago.

The 145 is probably going nowhere unless things seriously go sideways by the end of the summer. I doubt I'll get rid of it unless a Vanagon doka/double cab/crew cab comes up for trade.

As it turns out, my "high rpm stutter" was caused by a questionable fuel filter. The fuel filter the PO had installed only flows fuel one way, and when I reversed the fuel lines to move the filter closer to the pump (distributor side of the engine), the filter didn't want to flow that direction.

Took the car for a 50-mile drive last night. Actually enjoyed driving it knowing it wasn't going to leave me stranded.
rTbJTN2l.jpg

hCs3rBUl.jpg

Got gas and discovered my fuel economy had nearly doubled. Incredible the difference not needing to drive at WOT in traffic does. I do really ****ing like the car. It needs an exhaust though.
EH5wbqml.jpg

We need to start calling you flip-flop

Glad you're back into a state of enjoyment with the car. It looks great. The 71/72 front end is the best Volvo has ever made

Buses are cheap to repair/work on and there isn't any real image of sportiness or performance associated with them. You get in one and expect that the joy of driving comes from just driving like a normal person and not dying.

Bingo, apply that mentality to the 145, and voila, you have yourself an enjoyable, much safer, compact version of a VW bus

Took the car for a quick drive out to Bill Kidd's Volvo in Towson/Catonsville for some pictures:
GMGKIur.jpg

2teejVh.jpg

luLoZnL.jpg

x46q6q6.jpg

It's so easy to fix this though.

It was, at least partially. Fuel filter was apparently installed backward. I have recommended to him via text to install a 3.73 rear axle from a manual pre-1975 164, since it would drop highway rpm to around 2800-2900 rpm at 70-72 mph with the M41. And maybe to eventually do the K-Jet install for a system that's less tempermental than carbs.

Never heard of this. What's it all about???

Fuel distributor and airflow sensor assembly, ECU, wiring, O2 sensor, and idle air valve from a VW Golf or Jetta from the mid-late 1980s. You can either use the VW airbox, or use the fuel distributor/airflow sensor on top of a 1974-75 B20F airbox. Air intake boot can either be the hard plastic boot from a B20F, or you can use, again, the rubber VW boot, which is an improvement over the plastic boot.

A friend of mine did it on his '67 122S that had a B20B/Bw35 combo in it. Did swap the head to a B20F part and used a B20F intake manifold, of course. I think he used the Volvo injectors and lines, but the VW parts can be used as well, just have to use the holders for the Volvo head.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, this project ended predictably.

The car was re-homed last week to a huge 145 geek in Philly who is giving the car a good home. He plans on driving it on weekends and ultimatley giving the car a full restorationg with the help of his 12-year old son.

Of all the places for it to go, that is the ideal scenario.

A bittersweet end to a degree, however I'm ready to move on to other projects.

Back