• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Charisma.

QaWeQlAl.jpg

Beautiful

Thanks guys!

Got the wideband cables ran and gauge mounted. Coolant tank components showed up, turbo coolant lines arrive today and then I can finalize the coolant tank. I have really been dragging my feet finding a company to balance the turbo components. I just got off the phone with a place in north Portland called Diesel Fuel Injection Services that ill be taking the parts to for balance, they told me it would be about 3 weeks.

2trdWchl.jpg

Well I got the coolant lines, trying to decide the tank orientation and line routing. What do you guys think? Tank parallel to the car or perpendicular?

8ti3fz9l.jpg

TwkLc8el.jpg

vilXY3ll.jpg

itd0Ic1l.jpg

Well, the hood decided for me. To get the height right and have the cap clear the hood it made more sense to run it perpendicular. Used rivnuts on the sheet metal for the mount. Got it all mounted and welded the -6an and 5/8 hose barb fittings on. I still need to add a barb for the 1/4" line to the top of the radiator. I am a little concerned about the rigidity of the short braided line from the turbo to the coolant tank, I am running a fairly solid engine mount so there is not a lot of movement, hopefully it will be alright.

Im still waiting on my air filter to ship. I need a 3" bend for the intake. I think I have all the material and silicone couplers I need for the charge pipes. Not a whole lot left that needs to be done now.

VKu8nPwl.jpg

z1s4jPsl.jpg

UzqQcmgl.jpg

Last edited:
I want to drive it now.

Also blow thru MAF scares me a little.

Also also let me know whether you want me to put some squirts in your wagon.

She runs! I forgot I still had half a tank of 87 Oct, so she pings a bit over 10psi. Going to put some miles on it set to about 8psi, then fuel up with 92 and see what I can turn it up to. Haven't driven it a lot yet but a few things were immediately noticable out of boost throttle response is pretty damn good, and it builds boost quickly .
o1j8KoPh.jpg

I ain't scared, been there done it. Worked fine. :) I also have a few spares haha.

It works fine until it doesn't. :-P

You are at a much higher risk of damaging your AMM with this way. From a practical and theoretical perspective. It will work fine, it just wont be as reliable.

Dude the thing spools up so well. From what I could see, boost was already at 7 psi by 2500 in 2nd gear!

Ps does it have the colder plugs in it yet?

EDIT

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/_j4Dwst-JEM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Dude the thing spools up so well. From what I could see, boost was already at 7 psi by 2500 in 2nd gear!

Ps does it have the colder plugs in it yet?

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with how low this thing starts making boost. I have 92oct in the tank now. I still have a vac leak or something else going on. AFRs swing from 13 to 17:1 at idle and low load. I replaced the lh o2 sensor, no change. Runs a touch lean in open loop at about 15:1 but its consistent. Even driving the AFRs look better with the o2 sensor unplugged than when plugged in.

I'm running 10psi now and it's making boost at as little as 2k rpm and its at 10psi around 2,800 depending on the gear. Doesn't really start to pull until about 3500 though. Seems to Rev out about as well as you can expect an 8v with a B cam to.

Yes I installed some BPR7ES plugs.

hSsBNj2l.jpg

IOC48Zdl.jpg

I did the oil drain different than pictured earlier in the thread.
nrTV6zal.jpg

This is what is at the block.
1lBPIw7l.jpg

3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust.
hDDGMF8l.jpg

zOzR4r6l.jpg

vGQwY05l.jpg

Last edited:
I ain't scared, been there done it. Worked fine. :) I also have a few spares haha.

Actually might be better in this application to keep as much dirt out of it as possible. I know this one firsthand lol

setup looks great! Can't wait to go hit forest service roads

actually might be better in this application to keep as much dirt out of it as possible. I know this one firsthand lol

setup looks great! Can't wait to go hit forest service roads

i cant wait to join you on those roads

M47 has been pretty noisy but yesterday on my way home from work after a few pulls it got super noisy and started puking ATF out of somewhere. Good thing I bought a backup. So looks like I'm doing a transmission swap and locker install this Sunday.

I'm trying to get this thing in as good of condition as I can afford by the 24th. So if anyone has any ideas on what to check for the AFR swings, please let me know. AFR swings from 13:1 to 16.5:1 about 5 times in 10 seconds only in closed loop. On cold start the car idles stable and at a decent afr. If the o2 sensor is unplugged the warm idle is stable at about 15:1 and the car seems to actually drive better. Low load afr is about right and it richens up with boost on set and runs about 11:1 at wot in boost.

I do have a CEL for low EGR flow. Because removed all the EGR stuff. I did this after the +T and after first noticing the afr swings.

Made an air hose adapter and pressurized the intake. Found and fixed 2 big boost leaks. One of them being the EGR pipe at the intake manifold and the other being the MAF cover pushing up and blowing air out. After the repairs the only thing that changed was idle vac increased from about 15inHg to 17-18.

Cleaned the MAF, no change. Swapped the MAF, no change.

I checked the o2 sensor voltage swing at idle and at elevated rpm and the cycle rate was a little slower than some say it should be. About 5 cycles in 10 seconds instead of the stated ideal 8 cycles in 10 seconds. The wide band afr swing closely matches the narrowband swing. This is a brand new bosch o2 sensor it was swapped in an attempt to resolve this problem. I have noted there are a couple of small exhaust leaks. None major but they might add up to being a problem. Ordered some gaskets for the turbo, and I may consider moving the o2 sensor up stream of the 2.5" vband.

I pinched off the IAC hose and idle drops to about 600rpm. Unpluging power from the IAC results in a high rpm idle that fluctuates several hundred rpm approximately once a second.

I have verified the throttle switch clicks just off idle and the car is cutting fuel on decel.

I have pulled all the vac lines from the manifold one by one and no noticeable change was made.

The FPR does not smell of fuel.

Replacing plug wires, cap, and rotor this weekend as well.

ypP6i1nl.jpg

Last edited:
Back