• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HX35W how find the best ?

WTF99

I look for a HX35W but I find lot of turbo with same name but not same parts numbers.

You can me tell which are the good / best HX35W and their number please

PS: TLOA please check your PM ;-)

Is because is many variations of HX35W I ask here if one can me give how I can make the good choice?

Thanks for the link but Stav a good write the article but that not help me.

Of course a setup can not be reduced just at the turbo but if Holste make 650 variations of HX35 or 35W is crazy

I change my question maybe is more easy for you to me help (if you want) if I give you the numbers from HX35W can someone tell me if it is good or bad ?

Thanks a lot for your help because is very important for my I'm don't have lot of money I can not make a wrong choice

Assy: 4035253
Cust: 3960478
Model: HX35W

Good Bad ... PERFECT ?

Detailed info about Holset turbos is very hard to find, Cummins is very secretive about stuff like this.

You should reread this post from thelostartof from the other thread it's spot on.

What is your goal for the car? with that in mind you should size your turbo. I have been wanting to do an HX30 on a redblock for a while. An hx35 on a stock car is a waste of time and will make for a very laggy setup. Now if you have a worked head, big cam, big intercooler and MS then sure and HX35 makes sense but at that point going to a custom manifold will pick you up another 20-30whp over the 90+ and really help the engine wake up and make use of that size turbo.

Is afrer read the message from TLOA I have maje the choice to gonof the HX35W

My setup:
EZK FUEL chip TLOA
470cc injector
3" AMM
Cold air intake
DO88 big pack
JT tuning 3" superflow 1 silencer

Soon:
Cam Stage 3 from classicswede
Custom manifold deom Sweden Exhaust with divided T3

That I not understand because my level in English is bad is I can make a HX35W of my car the ar work great and I can make a other HX35W and change nothing more that the turbo just with other number and the car can bad work. It is exact or not ?

Is a little Russian roulette

How much work do you want to do?

Is this a daily driver or drag car?

The internal waste gate on an HX35 is gonna be useless, it's a turbo designed for a diesel engine. You would want a non internally waste gated turbo and add a external waste gate so you can have more control over boost pressure.

With the HX35 most of your power is gonna be at the top end, not much fun driving around town.

Does your car have working air conditioning? If so do you want to keep it that way?

Not too much work LOL

Actually is my daily but with one modification and one more and one more I believe I finish to not the drivel all day LOL

I have a electronic boost control and I have make the choice for the 35W because here have the internal wastegate for not have to buy a external for 250/300€ and the custom manifold cost egaly more I have make the compromise

Of course with the 35 I can not have all the power at 2000rpm but at 2000rpm I believe i have more that with the 13c ?
I don't drive everytime with the turbo in charge is for this I can make compromise for have the power from middle to high.

I have the A/C I can remove it if really necessary or if that give me more power because the FKIC is more cold.

For sure I don't build a car for race I don't make race but I build it for have a car for she give me pleasure and I start to go with she can me make a little kick in ass LOL

I thank you for your interest and your help but don't search to think to much at my place just reply qt my question.

Yesterday I have think be calm don't make too much and today i ready to place the order for a HX35W and custom manifold and tomorrow no idea what I make but the limit of all project is the money.

I hope this thread is view by owner from hx35w please can me give the number from your turbo ?

I hope you don't me find aggressiv I really appreciate the help and And the details on the behavior that the engine will have but it suits me even if at the beginning when I did not want to take this direction

Reply from Stav of FB

There’s quite a lot of HX35 variations.
Turbine wheels, aside from a few unusual ones, are all the same size, and most are 12 blade, but some higher flowing 11 blade ones also exist.
Compressor wheels vary a lot, most common is 54 and 56mm inducer ones, 6 7 and 8 blade. Most I’ve ever seen from any of them is about 600 at the crank, and while the larger ones with less blades are supposed to make more power, I’ve seen similar numbers from them all.
There are HX35 wheels as small as 50mm though, which is much less power- Probably no more than 450 even pushed very hard.

And of course you can build hybrids using larger wheels from HX40s and aftermarket manufacturers.

How much money are you willing to spend on a turbo? That's what we need to know.

You won't like the HX35. It'll be extremely laggy, the internal wastegate is too small so you'll have uncontrolled boost creep (either port it to the max or go external gate). There will be little to no boost below 3500 etc.

You'd be much better off getting a chinabay turbo if your under that tight a budget. Or an S60R K24 or TD05-20g. Things along those lines.

What hank said^. I had a similar setup, and although fun, no fun till around 3800rpm.

With todays technology, a smaller ballbearing turbo of good quality will go a long way and suit your needs.

You'll want to find an hx35 with the smallest turbine housing. Oddly holset goes by cm when describing their turbine housings. I haven't kept up with any changes, but a 10cm turbine housing used to be the smallest size. So if you are searching on ebay or other forums, use 10cm in your search terms. Also the hx35 is a twin scroll design, to to be used optimally a header/turbo manifold setup for twin scroll would be ideal, however that would get expensive and probably out of your price range.

The HY35 is another option, having a smaller turbine which i believe is 8 or 9cm. It's also not a twin scroll.

HX35 usually has a 12cm housing. The HY35 has either a 9cm or 10cm housing.

My worn LH 8v was quite fun with a HY35 at 1.3 bar, 10cm (54 in 56 out). I drove against BMW 435i to 190km/h, I kept up perfectly with him (and he was quite surprised how fast the 1000euro Volvo was). Response was decent with a simple t3 flanged 940 manifold.

1 bar 3000 rpm 4th gear.
Easily hit full boost in first. 3500+ was near instant response in second gear and up.

Very nice turbo for stockish 8v's.

Last edited:
HX35 usually has a 12cm housing. The HY35 has either a 9cm or 10cm housing.

My worn LH 8v was quite fun with a HY35 at 1.3 bar, 10cm (54 in 56 out). I drove against BMW 435i to 190km/h, I kept up perfectly with him (and he was quite surprised how fast the 1000euro Volvo was). Response was decent with a simple t3 flanged 940 manifold.

1 bar 3000 rpm 4th gear.
Easily hit full boost in first. 3500+ was near instant response in second gear and up.

Very nice turbo for stockish 8v's.

You're right, the 12cm twin scroll is the common smaller housing. The 10cm i got confused with was a custom one that i was looking at for a while made by timsturbos. It was a normal, non twin scroll housing that he had made. Not sure if he still sells them though.

That being said, i did just find this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...164571&hash=item287c77fb58:g:~YIAAOSw4sNcGG40

I've been thinking of the HX30 for a long time now, but recently i came over a HX35-8 with 8cm^2 turbine housing, which is very interesting.
Specs can be found here.
The only downside(for me) is that it's not supported with internal wastegate as it come with a 4-bolt flange.
Because i was thinking of using the 90+ manifold for a more original look as the MOT/goverment here in Norway are quite strict.
i'm planning to get
-Bosch 550cc@3bar injectors
-Walbro GSS340
-3" AMM
-E intake
-A good turbo for 250-300 WHP, considering HX30,HX35-8,Turbonetics
Already got
-Big alu cooler
-TLOA chips

Last edited:
Back