• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1970 145s carbs

Pietercc

I'm trying to get my grandfather's 145s back on the road, and I'm trying to figure out which carbs I have. It is a dual carb car, everything factory, I'm just new to carburators, coming from my 760t, I know I have a lot to learn.

SU HIF6 will have a tall cylindrical dome on top, to house the piston that regulates the vacuum at the jet:
800600001fzx1280reb.jpg

The Stromberg 175CD will have a much shorter dome, housing a rubber diaphragm that does a roughly similar function:
3000543_5990.jpg

I'd also guess your 1970 145S has Stromberg 175CD (mine did) as already stated.
Probably not the most desired carb, but supposedly they worked ok when new.
I prefer SU carbs.

Don't be intimidated by carburetors. They're remarkably simple once you figure them out.

Regardless, I've got a box of spare Stromberg parts for shipping cost if you want them. PM if interested.

Do some reading on how carburetors work, understanding the venturi effect among other concepts will help. The carburetor you will likely find on an older American car are going to be different than the SUs or Strombergs (also found on British cars) but the operating principles are similar.

Look up "constant depression" or "constant velocity" carburetors to figure out the operating principle of the Stromberg or SU carbs. It'll make it easier to tune them if you know what they are doing.

Back