• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Improve your 240's Wipers

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
Maybe everyone else has already figured this out, but I still thought I'd share.

My 90 245s wipers were ridiculously slow. Borderline dangerous in anything but a light shower. When I bought the car, there were boxes of spare parts that came with it, including a better looking OE Volvo wiper motor. After being unable to see the road last night on the way home, I pulled into the shop and removed the old wiper motor.

When I put the new one in, I was disappointed to see that the wipers were only marginally better...still painfully slow.

Then I noticed that this new motor had a spot for a ground lug. I didn't realize before now that the motor grounded through the body.

xw9fDHvl.jpg

I hooked up an extra ground wire and voila! Speedy, smooth wipers! I've owned 6 240s and never had windsheild wipers work this well.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HSyWU1MkhJM?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've definitely replaced a lazy motor once. Wonder if this would have helped it. They've always been pretty slow on my 240s.

This looks like a good idea.

I'm curious, how was the motor grounded before you added the ground wire? All the 240 wiper motors I have seen were grounded by a brass tab under one of the mounting lugs. Those tabs can fail, and when they do, the motor generally stops dead, because it is isolated by the rubber mounting grommets.

I have never seen a ground lug like that on one of these motors, including the ones I just looked at (this is likely because my cars are extra old). It is easy enough, though, to put a ground wire on one of the screws holding the cover plate on.

This looks like a good idea.

I'm curious, how was the motor grounded before you added the ground wire? All the 240 wiper motors I have seen were grounded by a brass tab under one of the mounting lugs. Those tabs can fail, and when they do, the motor generally stops dead, because it is isolated by the rubber mounting grommets.

I have never seen a ground lug like that on one of these motors, including the ones I just looked at (this is likely because my cars are extra old). It is easy enough, though, to put a ground wire on one of the screws holding the cover plate on.

Yeah, my wipers actually stopped once before. The tab looked OK, but there was a lot of crap built up. I tried to clean it up, but it had little to no effect. Adding the separate ground strap made all the difference.

Don't the newer 240's have a ground strap on the motor? My 92 did and my 77 does not so I will be adding a ground as well.

Later motors have the ground strap.

I just use early SWF motors and clean the ground tab and add a strap...

More importantly, if the seals have failed and wiper post grease has washed out and they are binding, no amount of messing with the motor will cure that...

There are a couple different wiper motors. An early style that grounds through the mounting tabs (up until around 88'-89' iirc) and the later style with the separate ground lug.
2E0F14BE-B673-4658-82F6-03016E5304AB_zpsp5wyln8a.jpg

20140411_155316.jpg

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=293022

I pulled one off a 93' in the yard and replaced my older style motor which was quite slow. Looking back, I wonder if it was actually the motor, or if cleaning the grounds would have yielded a similar improvement.

That's awesome. Mine aren't fast either, this is a really good idea!
I think that same night when it was downpouring over here, I almost considered getting some rainX, and I really hate that stuff...
(ppl spray it on their windshields while driving, and it gets all over everyone else's)

Funny thing, I installed a front view camera in the grill a week ago, and I could actually see like 80% better through the little 5"x4" screen. (Now I think maybe I should get a bigger screen and mount it over the plastic radio hatch grill thing.)

I've disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled these wiper motors to good effect.

Not too difficult.

As for a ground, I fabricated one with thick gauge wire and round grommets on each end.

Not slow at all.

My '89 had a ground strap on it when I bought the car. When I replaced the motor, it came with a new ground wire, but I reused the old strap. It's a pretty critical thing to implement if you ask me. My wipers didn't really work without it.

Back