• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230+T5 3k rpm shake

F6ZZ4841BA for the yoke and I needed a Neapco 1-0134 U joint.

I didnt pay $180 for mine either it was cheaper at Shaftmasters in Detroit but I think I grabbed there last one.

Last edited:
Can I get a TL:DR for what other driveshaft parts are most commonly used in this swap in a 240? I am compiling a wish list.

What's the diameter of that thing anyway? at this point it looks like the clearance may not be that different from the V6 one due to the fact that the bulk of that damper is ahead of the u-joint.

I'm with you Harald. I'm curious how it'll fit in the 140, might look for one at the yards, test-fit in mine.

Also, the 2.3 Ranger yoke...is that the 1.5" OD or is it the smaller one? The 4-cyl Mustang trans had a smaller output shaft and bushing than the V6 and V8 boxes, didn't know if the Ranger had the small one as well, or if they stepped it up.

Also, even with the Yoshi adapter, the Mustang shaft is still a bit short. The Mustang is 45.5" c-c, add 3/4" for the adapter. The correct length is 47" c-c, to get the correct installed depth. Sure, it'll work but it does add a bit more stress to things.

@smoothdurban
What’s the approx diameter of the 4-cyl damper?
Also with the tail of your transmission as low as it is, did you have any issues with firewall clearance at the back of the cylinder head?

@oldschoolvolvo
Sorry just saw this Its tight between the firewall and head but it isn't near touching. How much closer would it bring the head if you change your drop angle from 2? to 3?? I would say I wouldn't change that much.

A T5 swap in a 240 really only needs a Foxbody Mustang driveshaft + Yoshifab adapter.
https://yoshifab.com/store/240-to-mustang-drive-shaft-adapter.html
The 2.3L Ranger damper (F6ZZ4841BA) apparently is the cure for the T5 rattles, but is a tight fit in a 240 tunnel.

It is super tight. I mean the clearance is in mm. But clearance is clearance. It didn't rub during my 10 mile hell run last week.

What's the diameter of that thing anyway? at this point it looks like the clearance may not be that different from the V6 one due to the fact that the bulk of that damper is ahead of the u-joint.

I didn't measure it but is is a lot larger then the V6 slip yoke. I had to drop the x member then install the DS and then reinstall the X member and lift the trans.

When I had the v6 slip yoke in I could pull out the DS with out dropping the x member.

Last edited:
Apparently I never measured the diameter of the big damper. But I did find this on my project thread from last year:

U45iKzI.jpg

Looks like a 1350 on the yoke, vs 1310 on the driveshaft as well? That part number for the joint is for a bastard joint I'm guessing?

That does give me something to keep an eye out for.

It almost seems like everyone is using yoshifab driveshaft adapter.... any chance that a dampener could be added in between??

I know someone had mentioned a buick or Lincoln driveshaft (dual cardan universal???) that could really help with vibe issues... but I can't recall where to find that information.

t5 counter gear upgrade might be alright: https://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm

it seems like tons of t5 owners have this specific problem so I'm not sure it's just b230 t5 to me a slip yolk just seems strange in general.

there was also a post that I read online that mentioned a counter weight to create resonance shift. it's not a bad idea i had been thinking about that in regards to the engine but not the trans. my s70 had a pretty large counter weight bolted to it, which i removed but should probably put it back on. A few things to not I don't think we are using that strange t5 trans mount that was hollow and seemed like it'd be less likely to transmit vibration. I had a poly mount in t5... maybe we need a something else there...

vibrations-img1_0318.png

can a hydraulic mount of some sort help as a trans mount?

i really think that slip yoke is a big issue too much play and load... I was hoping i could find some kind of alternative for the tailshaft in general.

t5 counter gear upgrade might be alright: https://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm
My counter shaft was loose on my brand new T5 so they do appear to assemble them loose from the factory. I tried Paul's counter shaft retainer and peelable shims so I was able to set the preload correctly but I can't say it made any noticeable difference.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6043980&postcount=113

picture.php

I had a poly mount in t5... maybe we need a something else there...

I switched my poly mount out for a factory rubber one and I can say it did dampen some vibrations but it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the huge damper or Ben's hybrid torque rods.

I like the idea of the counter weight on the rear diff.

I am not sure if I have seen anyone mention this but one thing to keep in mind is that a shorter 2 piece DS setup has a different resonance point then a long single piece DS setup. That itself will change the resonance range, just like the damper posted above.
Also, some 240s came with a dampened driveshaft. I know my 240 turbo came with it.

Anyone here try using that?

Has anyone mentioned the OEM T5 counterweight that bolts onto the tail housing? I've only ever seen one at a junkyard, and I wish I had grabbed it. It could be interesting to experiment with different weights bolted onto the transmission itself.

I have one installed. It helped noticeably.

Sent another one to Mike K. Likely we will have to wait until Spring for his veredict.

Back