• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

I thought the trucks had the really ugly lookin ram style intake, you swap out an LS!/6 unit for induction?

What's bolt pattern on the charger wheels? Adapters, wobblyheaded bob nuts?

I think i already love this car

5x115,he redrilled the hubs as he stated. looks like we have a decent welder/fab guy on our hands.. because it's still a cheap build!! FTW

Wow. Been waiting for someone to swap an LSX nice like this in a 2xx. I'm loving ever detail, including the BMX pegs or extended studs lol

Looks good! This thing will be a beast! But those brakes don't look that much bigger?
That much bigger than what? I believe they're 13 inch rotors.

Awesome. The pan looks a bit of a hazard with how low it is.
I think he's planning on shortening the pan. In the end, it won't hang lower than the crossmember.

55superbeetle is the guy who built my dad's Subaru WRX powered 914. This Volvo is going to be awesome.

Thanks guys, I really didnt expect this reaction to it. It really is just going to be a slammed pile with a V8 drivetrain. I'm not really building it to do anything great, just want a fast, fun street car that my wife can drive too. For the suspension I used saab inserts, shortened the strut tubes, and slid on some old carrera sleeves my buddy let me have. I will figure out the rear when I get there but I see cut springs in my future.

As Thomas said the pan is going to get chopped so its a 1/4" higher than the cross member. I'm going to add kickouts so it will still hold the same amount of oil. As stated the bushings are just a cheap alternative to to buying engine mounts especially since I stole them from my friends rotting camaro project...

I finished up narrowing the ford rear tonight. After dickin around trying to figure out the best way to do it and even calling a few rear end shops I just decided to make it happen the free way. I just wacked a section out at the end of the tube, beveled it, and then made 3 tig passes around it. I really wanted to use a mandrel to keep it all straight but I did the best I could with a tape measure and a straight edge. I'm going to pick n pull this weekend to get another short axle and then I can put it back together. I was also able to borrow a friends plasma cutter so I will make quick work of transfering all the volvo brackets over.

af25571d.jpg

0bd297c5.jpg

2fa5d9db.jpg

6ad46f81.jpg

All Done
2b33c127.jpg

Hell yeah, making it happen!

That rear end is a perfect choice. It's way stronger than the Volvo one, has disk brakes stock, LSD stock, and after narrowing the long side (the diff is not centered in the rear end, so one axle tube is longer than the other) you end up with a slightly wider track than the stock Volvo rear end. Which eliminates the need for spacers on the back to get the wheels to sit right. Very smart!

The rotors and discs look the same as a 940 front, without an open spoke wheel to compare it with, I can't really say otherwise. Why would a non SRT charger have 13inch brakes though? Seems overkill.

The rotors and discs look the same as a 940 front, without an open spoke wheel to compare it with, I can't really say otherwise. Why would a non SRT charger have 13inch brakes though? Seems overkill.

Probably because the cars are really heavy. And maybe because Dodge knows people are going to put 150lb. 26" wheels on them, and so they need big brakes to slow all the rotating mass! haha I did a quick google search and came up with two rotor diamters, 12.6 or 13.6 inch for the R/T. That's probably why these cars came with those 17 inch steel wheels. Anything smaller wouldn't clear the calipers.

sweet build, im assuming you couldnt get the engine any higher without chopping the transmission tunnel? just going to limit your slamage a little with the dropped cross member. those sure are some pretty welds.

Yeah, most new large RWD cars run 12" rotors and 16" wheels on the standard spec brakes, so it does make sense, it's odd how they don't look that big though! That being said, the brakes that size on Commodores and Falcons aren't known for being super performance quality brakes unless you retro fit them to an old car that weighs a bit less, which doesn't make much sense as they aren't really a performance brake, just a good standard duty brake, much like putting 940 jumbo's on a 740.

sweet build, im assuming you couldnt get the engine any higher without chopping the transmission tunnel? just going to limit your slamage a little with the dropped cross member. those sure are some pretty welds.

Yea thats pretty much what set the engine height. I could have made a new tunnel and got it up higher or made a complete new oil pan but I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel with this project.

Thanks for the weld compliment, I'm decent but still not great.

Last edited:
Back