• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adding extra crank case ventillation?

Koston740

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has used the small steel plate located on the drivers side of the block under the intake manifold to run a ventilation tube through say a catch can for extra crankcase ventilation? And would I see any benefits from doing this?

Thanks everyone!

Interested in this concept as well. I have a B23f engine that I want to prevent another blown out rear engine seal that the PO encountered now that I've repaired it.

I noticed older engines (b21) has a breather tube coming out of the valve cover and I have seen oil caps with a breather tube in the middle.
I'm guessing used independently of each other and not used together.
See examples below.
Picture116.jpg

I have a complete cap and assembly that has the tube coming up through it that I want to use.
CrankcaseVacuumCapTester.gif

In looking through these threads it looks like it can be done (location may be different). Sounds like just put a small cone filter on end to vent to atmosphere it or run to a catch can.

Old threads ...... pictures and links deleted or broken: -(
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=120575
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=3783

Found some good to know information on this site:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineSealsBeltsVent.html#CrankcasePressureGaugeandTester

Hopefully this will start some dialog.

Anthony.

I'd run a pipe/hose uphill from that plate for a while before routing to a catch can. Might see some windage. Might not want to pull a lot of vacuum through there. I have not tried it.

I run a 5/8" hose off the breather box and a 1/2" or 5/8" off the B18 oil cap. Works well enough, I guess.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/123304113.jpg
Hose from oil cap runs down in front of the rad and turns towards catch can mounted on strut tower. Other hose comes from the breather box and plugs into another port on the back side of the catch can.

I'd run a pipe/hose uphill from that plate for a while before routing to a catch can. Might see some windage. Might not want to pull a lot of vacuum through there. I have not tried it.

I run a 5/8" hose off the breather box and a 1/2" or 5/8" off the B18 oil cap. Works well enough, I guess.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/123304113.jpg
Hose from oil cap runs down in front of the rad and turns towards catch can mounted on strut tower. Other hose comes from the breather box and plugs into another port on the back side of the catch can.

Good point, do you mean pulling vac from there may draw oil out??

I welded a baffle and a -10an fitting in my valve cover in addition to the stock breather box. Its all routed to a 1L catch can. My setup works quite well, I get very little oil in my catch can and it breathes quite well. With just the stock breather I could fill a 12oz coke bottle with oil with 10 minutes of track time.

will the b21 valve covers work on a b230 head?
It's not a bolt-on if you're using a 530 or 531 head.

I used to suck oil out of my engine with a hose from the catch can to the pre-turbo hose. So I switched to a system vented to atmosphere. Works for me, in that my car doesn't smoke and I'm not filling the intake with oil like before and the catch can isn't filling quickly like before. Sucked about 1L out at an autocross once. It got to the point where the pre-turbo hose had a puddle of oil in it because the catch can was lower, and it was full.

It's not a bolt-on if you're using a 530 or 531 head.

I used to suck oil out of my engine with a hose from the catch can to the pre-turbo hose. So I switched to a system vented to atmosphere. Works for me, in that my car doesn't smoke and I'm not filling the intake with oil like before and the catch can isn't filling quickly like before. Sucked about 1L out at an autocross once. It got to the point where the pre-turbo hose had a puddle of oil in it because the catch can was lower, and it was full.

But dont I need the vac if I open up that plate on the side of the block? also would venting the blow by affect my gas millage?

I made one yesterday with the older metal oil cap for my 850. Without making some sort of baffle system it brings out a lot of oil. So this weekend i will re-make it with another layer or 2 to baffle the oil from the air.

pictures

with the cc now and running ~15psi there is no oil at all in the cc after a few months now. seems odd, but i guess its not a bad thing.

towery, how were u sucking oil through the intake with a cc? wouldnt that capture any oil first?

so what is better.... venting through that hole in the block, venting through the oil cap, or venting through the valve cover?

From the block would seem best, since that is the source of the blow by ... hasn't any one tried this? or do I have to? :-P and @mullen1120, remember how loose the tubes from the catch can were? I can almost guarantee there was air seeping out at some point. well see if it fills up at all now bc that b**ch is tight.

I think theres been a few that have added fittings to that block off plate.

I personally did this

101_1598_tn.jpg

though I'll only be using the bigger of the two and I have the flange of the box cut off an sandwiched under it to utilize the little tab that keeps the oil pump drive shaft from popping up. Got the idea from Nathaninwa.

I think theres been a few that have added fittings to that block off plate.

I personally did this

101_1598_tn.jpg

though I'll only be using the bigger of the two and I have the flange of the box cut off an sandwiched under it to utilize the little tab that keeps the oil pump drive shaft from popping up. Got the idea from Nathaninwa.

I still want to keep the stock breather box, but do what you did to the hole to the left in the picture near the front of the block. ? how do you think that would work.

I don't see any problem with it. That was where I was going to add a fitting to for extra breathing, before I decided to eliminate the box.

I don't see any problem with it. That was where I was going to add a fitting to for extra breathing, before I decided to eliminate the box.

Do you think I could just run a tube from that front plate through the breather box (typo - catch can), and also run the stock breather box as well? or would too much oil possibly spit up from the tube into the catch can??

Last edited:
I welded a baffle and a -10an fitting in my valve cover in addition to the stock breather box. Its all routed to a 1L catch can. My setup works quite well, I get very little oil in my catch can and it breathes quite well. With just the stock breather I could fill a 12oz coke bottle with oil with 10 minutes of track time.

:nod:

I do similar on my T6. Baffled fittings mounted up high always make good sense.
PB271008.jpg

Back