• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

I used a chinese spal knock off though i have cooling issues and IDK if they are related to the fan or not.

I am hoping with a 360 waterpump I can squeeze in a thunderbird fan. Might try it now but I think it's too thick

Engine sits back a bit further, nissens 3row+ 740 turbo + 940 fan =s no fit. The one that i could get it to almost work was mounting the fan in the stock shroud but even that was no go.
I suppose there may be a tiny amount of variation between individual cars. Granted my 84 760T had a B23, but I was able to do it by using the stock fan shroud. I had to grind down flush the centering snout that comes through the water pump pulley. I also had to grind down the heads of the bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump...pretty sure I ended up with a solid 1/8 inch clearance! And that was w/ a 3 row...
101_0017.jpg

I used a chinese spal knock off though i have cooling issues and IDK if they are related to the fan or not.

I am hoping with a 360 waterpump I can squeeze in a thunderbird fan. Might try it now but I think it's too thick

are the cooling issues worse when youre idling/driving in heavy, slow traffic, or when youre cruising down the highway at speed? the fan makes a lot more difference on the slow side of things, unless its ridiculously powerful, like the fan on semi engines which wastes up to 70 horsepower. rather than some knock off fan, you're better off getting an oem fan that'll fit. tape measure plus junkyards are awesome. i especially like how at my junkyards, i can grab a part like a fan, with a 20 foot tail of electrical wiring for it, relays, etc, for it, without them paying attention to the tail. I paid $20 for an e-fan from a 92 740..not bad. there's GM fans, etc, that'll fit, thats what the tape measure is for..

I'll take some pics of my 940 fan setup, it's adapted to the stock clutch fan shroud with the stock rad & an NPR with a 1/2" or so clearance.

You guys are doin it wrong

i did the same i use the fan clutch shroud too :-P

the only important part is that the shroud is ducting air through the entire radiator, and that it looks good (which is important to me, but not others...heh!). I probably would have done that, but i got my e-fan at the same time as installing a turbo and intercooler, and the stock shroud wasnt even close to fitting. I cut down the 92 740 shroud to fit though. I'll have pics after i get the damn thing in the car. F my job.

I suppose there may be a tiny amount of variation between individual cars. Granted my 84 760T had a B23, but I was able to do it by using the stock fan shroud. I had to grind down flush the centering snout that comes through the water pump pulley. I also had to grind down the heads of the bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump...pretty sure I ended up with a solid 1/8 inch clearance! And that was w/ a 3 row...
101_0017.jpg

Well I guess if I ground it down i'd have about an 1/8th" of clearance too but that seems crazy close to me. I had about a 1/16" if I only attached it on 3 sides but that was too close for comfort for me.

are the cooling issues worse when youre idling/driving in heavy, slow traffic, or when youre cruising down the highway at speed? the fan makes a lot more difference on the slow side of things, unless its ridiculously powerful, like the fan on semi engines which wastes up to 70 horsepower. rather than some knock off fan, you're better off getting an oem fan that'll fit. tape measure plus junkyards are awesome. i especially like how at my junkyards, i can grab a part like a fan, with a 20 foot tail of electrical wiring for it, relays, etc, for it, without them paying attention to the tail. I paid $20 for an e-fan from a 92 740..not bad. there's GM fans, etc, that'll fit, thats what the tape measure is for..
I don't have issues at highway speed unless i am climbing a fairly steep long grade. My 2.5" thick knock off spal barely fits which makes finding an OEM fan that fits almost impossible. That's why i started this thread http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=3721986 so i can put a ford fan in. If you'd like to help me figure out my issue please post in there :)

the only important part is that the shroud is ducting air through the entire radiator, and that it looks good (which is important to me, but not others...heh!). I probably would have done that, but i got my e-fan at the same time as installing a turbo and intercooler, and the stock shroud wasnt even close to fitting. I cut down the 92 740 shroud to fit though. I'll have pics after i get the damn thing in the car. F my job.
I used the mech fan shroud too 940 fan with the cut should also rubbed

Gonna go grab a 960 fan tomorrow. That one looks the cleanest, and plus it plugs right up to a stock relay. Great read! So much good info on this site.

Well I got my 940 e-fan installed today and it's working great. My first attempt didnt go so well because I used the cut down 940 shroud and it just wouldn't fit. So today I tried again and adapted it to my factory shroud and with a few minor adjustments it's working great with a good 3/16" of clearance between the water pump bolts and the fan motor. I know it's pretty close but I think I can live with that. Thanks for everyones input.

Ass. Turns out the ECU in my '93 240 doesn't have E-fan control, so not all 9xx series ECUs have it as standard as I was told. I think I'll have to go with the BMW 50042 fan switch in a tee on the upper rad hose.

EDIT: Or I would if you could get a rad hose too with an M14 thread in it, which you can't apparently. Anybody know what car I could get a 2-speed fan switch like the BMW one out of, but with a 1/8 NPT thread to fit the rad hose adapters on the market? or hell, even a 1/8NPT to M14 adapter would work if I could find one the right way round.

Last edited:
Just use the switch in the radiator, if it has one. I put a colder switch in mine though. It works great and holds the temp solid with the 87 deg. Celsius tstat in there.

No rad switch, I'm using a 960 radiator, I didn't want to hack up the fan shroud and I figure it can't hurt to have some reserve cooling capacity if I'm turbocharging the car. I've found a rad hose insert that has M14x1.5 thread in it now, and I've got the BMW fan switch and pigtail from the scrapyard so I'll have it running as soon as the hose insert arrives. I know it's not really necessary, I just like the idea of having both speeds functional on my 2-speed fan and having it looking as 'factory' as possible.

Where did you find the rad insert? I need to do something like this also.

Edit: I see Revotec do one with the M14 thread.

It's the Revotec one I'm using, just waiting for it to be delivered. Combined with the BMW fan switch from a few pages back and stuck in the top hose, and a 960 rad/fan/relay setup it should all be pretty compact and reliable, and look stock. I'll post some pix of it finished when the insert gets delivered.

Back