• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230+T5 3k rpm shake

My counter shaft was loose on my brand new T5 so they do appear to assemble them loose from the factory. I tried Paul's counter shaft retainer and peelable shims so I was able to set the preload correctly but I can't say it made any noticeable difference.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6043980&postcount=113

picture.php

I switched my poly mount out for a factory rubber one and I can say it did dampen some vibrations but it wasn't nearly as dramatic as the huge damper or Ben's hybrid torque rods.

I like the idea of the counter weight on the rear diff.

Has anyone mentioned the OEM T5 counterweight that bolts onto the tail housing? I've only ever seen one at a junkyard, and I wish I had grabbed it. It could be interesting to experiment with different weights bolted onto the transmission itself.

Yeah so I was thinking that the dampening should be on the trans itself... It really seems like the source of the vibration. I went with a rubber isolater for the shifter as the bolts can rattle loose like was stated in previous posts.

Ben it seems a number of people have gone with 2 piece driveshafts to help alleviate drive line angle issues. But the vibration still exists.

It's been a while but I think when pinion angle is off its a different vibration that the trans itself. Others can chime in I'll be switching to a getrag in the future and will see how I prefer that.

Huh, I'll have to see if I have that damper weight kicking around still, the trans I grabbed had it.

I'm also using a factory 2pc driveshaft with the dampened rear half. The trans I'm prepping to go into the car now has that machined retainer as well, so we'll see how that all plays out.

Just finished up swapping in a two piece driveshaft with the Ford F6ZZ4841BA yoke. Also using a 740 support bearing in my 245 as well. Think I might need a rebalance with the new yoke and a bit of angle tweaking but THE NOISE IS GONE! It's like night and day, trans is a Z spec WC T5 with Paul's counter gear stabilizer plate that I rebuilt this summer.

Last edited:
Thinking the yoke...

Now the question...was it the retainer, the yoke, or both?

I'm doing just the retainer first, then I'll grab the yoke if it's still bad.

Already had the retainer in the trans when I put it in the first time so I don't think that's going to cure the noise alone.

Is this correct for which models it can be found on?

Ford
Mustang
1996-1998
6 Cyl 3.8L
4AT 4R70W, 5MT

Ford
Ranger
2004-2011
4 Cyl 2.3L NA Petrol
5-Speed Manual Transmission

Now the question...was it the retainer, the yoke, or both?

I'm doing just the retainer first, then I'll grab the yoke if it's still bad.

Its definitely the Yoke, it has a built in damper, if you have vibrations. You need a damper to change them. The retainer is a good idea for durability reasons but its not going to change the vibration issues that we see using a t5 gear box behind a b230.

That's kinda what I was figuring Ben. The only thing throwing a monkey wrench in that is I've been in a 240, with a T5 and B230, that the trans made NO noise, and it's running the standard V8 yoke, non-damped 240 2pc driveline, Trutrac'd 1031, and a flat flywheel. There's also been a couple that had no issues at all, while most of the rest of us, the noise level varies. I brought up the balancer yoke a while back, just have the V6 one on mine now which has the smaller weight on it, and it made a difference.

Either way, eh, I have a spare T5 now, once I swap the one on the bench into the car, with the nice retainer.

I see in this thread a lot about T5 vibration in 240s. What about in 700s?

Its really all about the engine / trans combo. 4 Cylinders resonate differently than a v8 or v6. This is why you get all the rattles and its why Manufacturers installed dampened slip yokes for different engine / trans packages.

Its really all about the engine / trans combo. 4 Cylinders resonate differently than a v8 or v6. This is why you get all the rattles and its why Manufacturers installed dampened slip yokes for different engine / trans packages.

Anyone know how a T5 trans sound behind a Volvo T5?

After all of this discussion I'm still puzzled as the transmissions in Ryan Randall's and Chris Miranda's cars are whisper quiet and perfectly smooth despite using non-dampened slip yokes.

After all of this discussion I'm still puzzled as the transmissions in Ryan Randall's and Chris Miranda's cars are whisper quiet and perfectly smooth despite using non-dampened slip yokes.

Lots of factors to easily overlook to contribute to that.

I'm with you Harald. Multiple engines in Ryan's, years of flat out abuse, poly bushings, you name it, but that thing is silent. My 140, rattles like it's gonna explode, despite fresh bits inside, good fluid, all that jazz.

Back