• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 low budget mods (engine)

pathfinder

Hi to all. Merry Christmas

It's year 1997, 940 B230FK, auto transmission

Targeting mild uprade around 200bhp and 280-300nm

Will the all standard 13C, injectors and fuel pump, exhaust... by using Rica fuel and ignition chips ...will this can get 200bhp?

Hard to find 15G turbo. Could the 13C be hybrid using billet fins 16T ? I think can't go over 16T with auto transmission...bigger like 19T maybe causing lag

As for ori fuel pump, any idea of its lph flow? And original injectors.. what is the cc ?

Thanks

Will the all standard 13C, injectors and fuel pump, exhaust... by using Rica fuel and ignition chips ...will this can get 200bhp?

Not really.

Hard to find 15G turbo. Could the 13C be hybrid using billet fins 16T ? I think can't go over 16T with auto transmission...bigger like 19T maybe causing lag

There are upgrade kits out there with the compressor wheel and a new housing, but by the time you bought all of that stuff to "upgrade" the tiny 13C, you'd probably be better off just getting a used 16T.

I'm guessing you're from Europe and I also had a hard time finding a 16T, so I bought one from swedishiron.com on here and it ran me cheaper with shipping from US to EU than getting a used one locally.
I believe he usually has 16T (or even 15G) turbos in stock. PM him.

And original injectors.. what is the cc ?

0-280-150-804 injectors are 337cc - source: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm#BOSCH

Other suggestion is to get an intercooler from KL Racing. That improved the noticeable torque much more than upgrading the turbo in my case.
But especially when you turn up the boost from the low stock 0,35 bar of the FK engine (I have a FT engine so stock was already at 0,55bar).

Also, I use chips from here, they're great: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355788

Thanks for reply

Im from Malaysia. 940 FK sold here in 1996-1997. Mine odometer is 380,000km . Quite high. i will do engine top overhaul and overhaul the auto transmission before upgrade the power

Got to be realistic, can't go for too much power. Considering it's age.

15G is rare now. Some turbo shops here suggest to use original 13C with billet fins. How many billet fins should i use for strong and fast response from low to mid range rpm power band?

Plenty of 14T over here, or better use 14T with billet fins?

As for original spec fuel pump and injectors, do u think they are enough for 200-220bhp at engine?

Do u know the original fuel pump flow in liter per hour?

Thanks

Had a stock 940... B230fk, 360.000 km.
Increased boost to 0.8bar by adding springs to the wg actuator.

Works fine on stock ECU. Wouldn't go much above that though.

Hi to all. Merry Christmas

It's year 1997, 940 B230FK, auto transmission

Targeting mild uprade around 200bhp and 280-300nm

The absolute easiest thing you can do is stick a manual boost controller on it and turn up the boost to ~12 psi. If you go much above this, you'll probably hit fuel cut on a stock ecu without chips. It does vary though, I saw 15psi before hitting fuel cut. You'll want a boost gauge as well to monitor what boost you're running.

The 15G isn't really that good an upgrade. The compressor is only slightly bigger than the 13c. The only real reason to use it is if you want a turbo to use a conical flange turbine housing that fits the stock downpipe, which is the most restrictive part of the stock setup.
You'll see the most improvement here if you get a 16T or bigger, with a straight or angled flange hotside, and put a bigger exhaust on from turbo back to suit.

Stock injectors and fuel pump are actually fine for ~200 hp at the flywheel. They provide enough fuel to run AFRs of about 10-11 at 15psi on a 15G (with V cam and custom chips).
I put it on the dyno when I had it on lower boost (9psi) prior to having chips made, it showed AFRs of mid 9s at the top of the rev range, and made 155 hp at the wheels, estimated 195bhp at the flywheel. At 15psi I'd expect that to be up to about 180 at the wheels so easily above 200 at the flywheel.
Also if you put bigger injectors on without changing the map via chips (or another method), then it will just run rich and you'll lose power and fuel economy. It's rarely worth changing injectors unless you're running out of fuel, or you want a better spray pattern for the same flow rate.

With a slightly smaller turbo and stock cam, you'll see a slight reduction from those numbers I saw, but probably not that much. If you want to see 200 hp at the flywheel, a decent intercooler and less restrictive exhaust will help a lot more than just throwing a bigger turbo on with no other changes. I'd say worth getting an MBC and boost gauge first, then IC and exhaust, as you'll see more of an improvement. You could probably get a 16T on there at the same time as doing the exhaust if you want to see a bigger improvement all at once and save effort on the exhaust.

I made 184 at the wheels with a boost controller set to 13 psi, chips (made and sold by me!) and no other mods. Stock injectors are getting fairly well taxed after that.

Injector size is not a tuning tool. You'll need to remap the car to work with the injectors you have should you decide to change them.

Even with everything else 100% stock the high performance intercooler is gonna make you feel happier.
After that just add manual boost controller and go to 12psi (0.8bar).

Thanks for reply

I think 200hp at flywheel is good enough. Need to up some power for enegetic long distance cruising on highways, which include hill climbing roads and need better power for overtaking. Never mind if power drop after 5500 rpm since it's not for racing. It should be good if can cruising steadily at 120 kmh- 160 kmh.

With 16T, do u think no problem with lag? mine is 4 speed auto. Laggy engine is not fun in city driving

About fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, if maintain ori specs, can i use fuel pressure regulator ? or no need fuel pressure regulator if already have chips?

Any sample pictures of your front mount intercooler?

- the B230FK has an airbox with a restrictive intake orifice. It's easy to open up an extra orifice to match the ease of breathing to that of the HPT (B230FT) airbox. While you are doing that you might just as well remove the sound deadening foam that lines the inside of the airbox. That foam can cause problems if it comes lose and cloggs the airmass meter screen.
- all turbo engines benefit from a good easy flowing exhaust system. 2.5" or 3" with absorbtion mufflers instead of the stock baffled mufflers.
- the B230FK has an non-adjustable wastegate actuator. You can raise preload by adding some washers between the mounting bracket and the turbo to space the actuator away. This raises preload. But it's easier to install an adjustable WGA from a B230FT.
- the MBC is the easiest way to quickly raise boost and power.
Another trick to raise boost is to add a bleed-off-T in the WGA-hose. or maybe 2 of those or 3? Depends on how high you want to go. (the more air you bleed off the higher the boost will be but don't go over 12psi on a stock ECU)

Last edited:
Thanks for reply

I think 200hp at flywheel is good enough. Need to up some power for enegetic long distance cruising on highways, which include hill climbing roads and need better power for overtaking. Never mind if power drop after 5500 rpm since it's not for racing. It should be good if can cruising steadily at 120 kmh- 160 kmh.

With 16T, do u think no problem with lag? mine is 4 speed auto. Laggy engine is not fun in city driving

About fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, if maintain ori specs, can i use fuel pressure regulator ? or no need fuel pressure regulator if already have chips?

Any sample pictures of your front mount intercooler?

Take it step by step.

Don't worry about the fuel system, you don't need to change anything in that system including the injectors with a 16T to start with.
It will be fine with a 16T.

My car is my daily driver and I'm very happy with the performance.
Obviously there is a bit of lag with the 16T, but it's perfectly fine for some spirited driving and overtaking when necessary. The upgraded intercooler did help a bit with the lag though as far as I remember when changing.
I usually use 3rd gear when overtaking from between 70-80, I have the manual M90 transmission though so I can't comment on the auto box.

My turbo doesn't even go into boost when cruising on a flat highway between 120 - 140, so it doesn't really matter what turbo you have installed.

Here is a good thread with info on the intercooler: https://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343520
Thanks for linking my thread, I almost forgot I made that one :lol:

Thanks for reply

16T maybe fun with M90 manual gbox.

Last i test drive my friend FK with tuned ecu.Auto transmission. 15G turbo from 850-T5. This setup is good, got low rpm grunt until 5500rpm.

what intercooler u use?

Higher compression ratio helps with city driving. When I was replacing HG, the head was skimmed 1,5 mm. No bad side effects. Boost is 0,8 bar, wg actuator is from Subaru/Kinukawa.

mean...FK low pressure turbo has higher compression ratio?
or bith FK and FT have same compression ratio?

Thanks for kind replies

Can anyone confirm, is it true the later model B230 FK and FT use forged pistons, rods and crankshaft ?

Back