• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

5.0L intake

BeaverMeat

The intake and MAF have been just laying there unsupported for about 19 years now... well, the MAF is supported by the wiring harness and coolant reservoir. The alternator supports the filter... it’s sh!t anyways. I think it’s about time to fix this sloppy intake scenario.

51158761806_3f3f1d8ee1_c.jpg

I dislike these “hot air” intakes... Not going to “upgrade” to a metal heat-soaker.

Been thinking of jamming an OE fox body air box in there... have the air suckulate from the bottom front corner under the washer tank. IDK.

Any suggestions?

What are the good high pressure zones under that 240 hood?

Hi
I moved the washer bottle to the rear (butt cheek) and drilled a 3 inch hole where it was to the space in front of the front wheel. There's enough room there to get a properly sized air filter in. Even used a grill to make a cover underneath it.
Tim

Look at my project thread, you can maybe use a KJET Turbo Airbox and make a custom top plate. Would require relocating washer bottle.

I made a simple aluminum bracket that bolts under the washer bottle and connects to the mounting brackets on the MAF.

And my simple bracket, I mean some 1" wide flat aluminum bar that I bent in the vice.

I made a simple aluminum bracket that bolts under the washer bottle and connects to the mounting brackets on the MAF.

And my simple bracket, I mean some 1" wide flat aluminum bar that I bent in the vice.

That’s my style.

Thinking about getting one of these “bucket” style intake boxes and drilling a hole in the fender well... or just have the filter in the fender well if it’s accessible.

f8_y92IUGmbYqeMAp2WxcG7uSz3fJllTJgZD23_vp0PJf9T5sPEsPXwP_TIu7CjM-ruXBZzK4JbuHsyPWZ3r

Staying away from a K&N as the oil is messing with my MAF. Plus I don’t like the bolt-on cover. There is a brand that makes one with clamps but I can’t recall who made them. They were popular with the Aussie Miata crowed.

5566d1202009035-yet-another-cai-thread-aussie-cai.jpg

Last edited:
Those just look like a fancy tractor air filter....

There are some large paper element filters, as well as a bunch of washable non-KN filters out there.

I think I have it cased. Go with a 240 Turbo coolant reservoir (if it’s compatible with the bigger diesel rad) and washer tank. Possibly an airbox too.

Last edited:
Came for the tunnel ram, was disappointed.

lol.

I’m going to the “looks factory”... look.

The K-Jet will work nicely. Larger than the stock Fox box. Will have to upgrade to a 70mm Ford MAF to match the 70 BBK throttle body. Then ad hoc some pipes with an adapter to the airbox. Slap on a cone filter and I’m done.

The only problem is the pipe to the airbox from the behind the grill is a tad too small for the five-oh flow.

I believe for the box to work properly all the air has to be fed from original location. I suppose I could enlarge the port and make a larger oval hole beside the rad and cram as much pipe as I can in there... or. I could enlarge the port and run a splitter to run second pipe to the fender well that is an equal length and diameter to the OE one.

:wtf:

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you're after here. Your current intake is working yes? You don't like it because it's plastic and sagging, but you don't want a metal pipe. If you're looking for more power, the only place you're going to get that is with lift or boost.. If the intake is functional then your 'problem' is solved. Move on to something else. If you just want to make it look prettyerer, and talk a lot about it without actually doing anything, then by all means, continue.

Back