• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Hours to swap out a rear axle assembly

If you hustle, this is 1.5-3 hrs tops. I can't even make a diff swap take that long when doing it at a rally race (on a tarp, in the dirt, car on jack stands).

Is the shop charging you flat rate at 7hrs? Or are they charging you actual time and just gave 7hrs as an estimate?

I have an old Chilton Labor Estimating Guide that says it's 3.5 hours to R&I (remove and install) the rear axle assembly on a 240/260. What it doesn't say is that 3.5 hours doesn't include R&I parking brakes/cables or calipers/rotors. The parking brake shoes are 1.7 hours and the cables are 2.9 but you only need to remove one side so figure ?, 1.5 hours. The calipers are another 1.3 hours (including bleeding) and the rotors come right off so we'll throw those in. That still adds up to 8 hours so 7 hours isn't ridiculous at all.

Typically those numbers are calculated based on an average mechanic with hand tools. A good mechanic with power tools can do the job quicker but expects to get paid book time regardless of how long it takes.

Yup. That’s the estimate I got. It’s correct. I got what I payed for.

First impressions. The BNE/Kaplhenke Spherical bushings and hybrid adjustable torque rods were worth it. So was going from 3.73 to 3.31... I can actually use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.. the 89 Mustang T-5 gearing was horrid with a 3.73.

And geez these TrueTracs are noisy when new. Got better after a few miles around town. Thought my axle was going to shatter into pieces.

Yup. That?s the estimate I got. It?s correct. I got what I payed for.

First impressions. The BNE/Kaplhenke Spherical bushings and hybrid adjustable torque rods were worth it. So was going from 3.73 to 3.31... I can actually use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.. the 89 Mustang T-5 gearing was horrid with a 3.73.

Cool. I've been waiting to hear your impressions on this.... I just took mine out for the first time in months today and was reminded of what 3.90 gears were like on the highway.

Back