• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 locker, a few questions for those who have modded one.

The more weight you remove from the governor weights, the higher the speed at which the diff will still lock. My comment was not specifically directed at you. It was put there because post after post contained statements/comments about the weights being there to unlock the differential at 25 mph. That is not what they were intended to do. Even an unmodified G80 will stay locked at much higher speeds than 25 as long as the power is increased. I've had stock units stay locked up until at least 60 in turbo cars. I couldn't tell if it was still locked above 60 because the cars all ran out of power, no more spin, they hooked. The 740 we autocross with a modified G80 can be seen in videos at 70+ mph laying 2 black lines across the asphalt. It makes 300 hp. Plenty of power to keep the tires spinning. It's not the intent. I would like the car to put it all down, not spin. The stiff springs/shocks don't allow much weight transfer so spinning is just something we have to live with until the wheel wells are flared and wider wheel/tire combos can be run.

That is very interesting. In that case providing that enough torque is kept on the axle, the rotating weight that is responsible for lock-up in the forward direction must continue to hold the hook end of the big mass and prevent it from being able to move outwards under increasing centriufugal force at speeds above the normal 25mph cut-off speed?

If the big mass was able to move outwards the diff would disengage, so the back-cut on the hook and rotating weight must then keep them held together....

I for one didn't believe this would be the case, but it could be a useful feature of the differential if it is. Once my own G80 has been modified this should become more obvious, but for the moment noticeable inside wheel slip is only starting to happen at just above the stock unit maximum engagement speed under cornering, so there is no lock up.

Mostly I'm only aware of ANY lock-up when moving slowly on wet grass or mud on the way back to the car trailer!

I was of the belief that the G80 lock-up would cut out at speeds above 30kph, and to avoid push-on oversteer for the same reason as done on the Porsche 928 electronically controlled hydraulic unit.

See 2.00 mins in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PoocIsiV2c

With the rear tyre sizes I usually run and only 1060kg of car to propel, I've never been aware of any lock-up being necessary at lower speeds on tarmac.... the rear of the car just squats, grips and bites and very rarely spin at all. I'd assumed I'd hear/ feel it lock on tarmac, as it IS noticeable as it locks on wet grass.....and very effective.

I might try to borrow some wheels with worn out/ skinny tyres just to see if I can keep the wheels locked and spinning above 25mph to test this out for myself.

The autocross video footage sounds like fun......

That is very interesting. In that case providing that enough torque is kept on the axle, the rotating weight that is responsible for lock-up in the forward direction must continue to hold the hook end of the big mass and prevent it from being able to move outwards under increasing centriufugal force at speeds above the normal 25mph cut-off speed?

If the big mass was able to move outwards the diff would disengage, so the back-cut on the hook and rotating weight must then keep them held together....

this is what i keep saying ... Look at the angle of the contact plane with respect to the direction of action (pawl arc when weight swings out) and that of the rotating flyweights - The thing is not designed to "disengage" until the wheel that initially had traction has less traction than the one that initially slipped (engaging the lock-up). The pawl does not govern the disengagement, it only governs the engagement.

Last edited:
I know this has been beaten to death, but I have another question. Does anybody know just how much preload the diff is applying to the clutchpacks when'locked'?? Is it so much torque that the clutches will never slip?

Imagine this - Say I cut 100% of the weight off of those flyweights, how much preload would be applied when locked? Is there any slip under normal use at all, or is it locked 100% of the time? At this point, it seems like it's a function of preload on those clutches, the condition of those clutches, and the fluid/friction modifiers used? Or is there also something else thats mechanically locking those clutches together?

What I'm wondering is, if I remove 100% of that flyweight, and then potentially attempt to measure breakaway torque, and from there start adding friction modifier to the point where the breakaway torque gets down to the level of a traditional track-oriented LSD diff (say in the ~40% lockup range), will it act like a traditional LSD at some point, or is there so much preload on those clutch packs that it's not possible?

I know this has been beaten to death, but I have another question. Does anybody know just how much preload the diff is applying to the clutchpacks when'locked'?? Is it so much torque that the clutches will never slip?

Imagine this - Say I cut 100% of the weight off of those flyweights, how much preload would be applied when locked? Is there any slip under normal use at all, or is it locked 100% of the time? At this point, it seems like it's a function of preload on those clutches, the condition of those clutches, and the fluid/friction modifiers used? Or is there also something else thats mechanically locking those clutches together?

What I'm wondering is, if I remove 100% of that flyweight, and then potentially attempt to measure breakaway torque, and from there start adding friction modifier to the point where the breakaway torque gets down to the level of a traditional track-oriented LSD diff (say in the ~40% lockup range), will it act like a traditional LSD at some point, or is there so much preload on those clutch packs that it's not possible?

you may have slightly misunderstood what cutting off the weight does. it doesn't mean it's locked all the time. and when it does lock up, it doesn't act like a 100% locked diff. I'd say it drives like a low preload clutch diff.

it means it can BECOME locked at any speed. as opposed to with the weight, it will only BECOME locked at less than about 25mph. at ~25mph the weight would sling out and it wouldn't lock up at all once that happened.

both rear tires off the ground, with the weight cut off, spin one tire slowly and it's an open diff. give it a quick accelerating spin and you'll hear it lock, then both wheels spin together, the same direction.

I haven't measured breakaway torque. I'll see if I can try that tonight. it'll be an approximation since I don't have an easy way to spin a wheel from the center, just from one of the lugnuts.

Ahh, nevermind then. Sounds like it's just as much of a waste of time as I'd thought it was before. Also sounds extremely dangerous, and not predictable at all. Thanks for clearing that up though!

Could try shimming it for more breakaway torque. Last time I had one out, I didn't have time to play with shims before we had to put it together for the race. It works good, though (when it works). Ours broke and spit the shaft w/cut governor weight out of the carrier. Probably is a good idea to weld that piece in place.

Hi. I have modified a G80 locker by cutting 100% of weight.Job done as shown in this thread http://turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0027. But my flyweight was smaller,the car is 940 from 1996 (different locker? weaker?).After no more than 100km the flyweight has been smashed into small pieces! It happens with normal, easy drive.After I removed cover the flyweight and the shaft were disintegrated. I really don't know whats happen?What went wrong? Or maybe this locker was just to weak? I deicided to weld it but I still want to have a limited diff so I'm looking for it. I found Gripper LSD locker but it's really expensive. So the question is: does anybody know is it possible to swap LSD diff from any other car without any difficult mods? Any suggest welcome.Thx

Hi. I have modified a G80 locker by cutting 100% of weight.Job done as shown in this thread http://turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0027. But my flyweight was smaller,the car is 940 from 1996 (different locker? weaker?).After no more than 100km the flyweight has been smashed into small pieces! It happens with normal, easy drive.After I removed cover the flyweight and the shaft were disintegrated. I really don't know whats happen?What went wrong? Or maybe this locker was just to weak? I deicided to weld it but I still want to have a limited diff so I'm looking for it. I found Gripper LSD locker but it's really expensive. So the question is: does anybody know is it possible to swap LSD diff from any other car without any difficult mods? Any suggest welcome.Thx

I did a bunch of research on this, and the general consensus is that a Dana 30 LSD from trucks like Ford Ranger's and Ford Aerostar vans, etc., SHOULD be a bolt-in. Haven't ever confirmed it though.

I did a bunch of research on this, and the general consensus is that a Dana 30 LSD from trucks like Ford Ranger's and Ford Aerostar vans, etc., SHOULD be a bolt-in. Haven't ever confirmed it though.
As long as the dana 30 LSD is from a 3.73+ ratio, it will work in a volvo 1030/1031/1041 axle. The dana axle uses a different carrier for 3.54 and numerically lower ratios, but the volvo doesn't...they're all 3.73+ carriers regardless of ratio.

Back