• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Amazon Brakes

Ahh, scouring the internet I found that the 2.25" MC spacing will fit on a Datsun 240z, 260z, and 280zx booster with only a little filing of the bolt holes. Readily available remanufactured and only about $100! Looks like a good match.

7" Mini booster:
meKeSbU-memMLXy8BXaewig.jpg

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=338927

OEM Amazon brakes were good enough...yes replacing lines with nickel-copper is good

EBC Green Stuff kevlar pads may be another solution. "After the break-in-period was over the car ended up having the best stopping power of any of the 122s and 1800s cars that I have owned and driven over the years....The brakes are working very well with the new EBS "Green Stuff" front pads on the street so the non-original Lockheed brake booster was removed (the original came w/the car) to see how the brakes would operate without it. Was pleased to find that it stops very well without a lot of pedal pressure and resulted in a loss of around 30 more pounds. ."

Problem with power brakes is when off hard surfaced clean roadways, they can lock up so quickly...that's one reason for ABS...when people panic and mash the peddle.

I found 122 single circuit brakes to be great

If you rebuild your system there should be no concern for pedal failure, you can feel it coming on anyway

There’s no need for boosters

4 big drums and no power assist,.
duo-servo drums, which work great with lower pressures.. Non-power (what everyone calls "manual", which means "hand") brakes suck with small discs if you size the master wrong.
Wilwood's master cyl is a close copy of a Datsun master, which came in many flavors.
210 had a 3/4", Trucks and Z cars had 13/16", 7/8", 15/16".
Wilwood even uses the same reservoirs.
Just be careful, too small and you get excessive pedal drop on application.

figure out a pattern for an adapter plate.

Not an issue for a machinist with the tools/equipment, but at what price.

I never had a stopping issue with OEM manual brakes (except on ice/snow)...considering how light these Volvo vehicles were, brake peddle pressure should not be an issue....if vehicle is within OEM specs. In panic situations, manual brakes on older vehicles are better, imho. Once a person locks brake drums/rotors at higher speeds, this can create an unwanted accident. ABS braking is a better means, but generally, an experienced driver does not need ABS if braking system is fit for duty. ABS is mostly for "dummies."

Hydro-Boost: The Non-Vacuum Booster - Hydro-boost brake boosters use the pressure of the power steering pump to power the brake booster.

But then he'd need to add power steering to an Amazon, which makes the process a whole lot bigger.

Story goes that they assembled 122S longer than that. There was a assembly line in South Africa which continued to the year 1971.

I was told that the police could still order them until 1975.

Also, Volvo didn't start installing dual circuit brakes until the very end of the 1967 production for both the 122 and 1800 Volvos and only for the US market, so the majority of 1967 122 and 1800 Volvos had single circuit brakes.

For those few made in 1967, we affectionately call them half breeds as they have some of the 1968 features like the dual brake masters, but not all of the features.

I know this for a fact as we currently have 3 half breeds in our shop, 2 of them are 122 Volvos and the other is an 1800.

Back