• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

D?j? Vu Mid-Blue - 1989 Volvo 245 DL

Quick note on the +T: the engine will handle everything a 15G will throw at it. The transmission won't. Would definitely get/go over a later AW71L before feeding the AW70 any torque.

Also, expect sub-20 MPG around town if you do that. Worth it? Yes.

Quick note on the +T: the engine will handle everything a 15G will throw at it. The transmission won't. Would definitely get/go over a later AW71L before feeding the AW70 any torque.

Also, expect sub-20 MPG around town if you do that. Worth it? Yes.

:rockon:
Great to know! Thank you. I feel like a massive newb for asking this, but for the most simple of conversions, is it really as easy as plugging in the turbo ecms, extending the AMM harness, and bolting on the turbo parts? Would I need to turn the boost lower than stock for a +T or will it not detonate on 93? I don't know what factory turbo fuel requirements are.

None of this would happen any time soon, but it's nice to have the information.

:rockon:
Great to know! Thank you. I feel like a massive newb for asking this, but for the most simple of conversions, is it really as easy as plugging in the turbo ecms, extending the AMM harness, and bolting on the turbo parts? Would I need to turn the boost lower than stock for a +T or will it not detonate on 93? I don't know what factory turbo fuel requirements are.

None of this would happen any time soon, but it's nice to have the information.

yep, other than splicing in an extra couple feet of wire length and adding an oil return, it's all plug and play.

That said, I'd get some chips for LH 2.4. The extra compression is no problem, but throwing boost at a stock computer is not ideal.

Even more ideal would be a microsquirt or better. Not necessary, but way better.

More run-ins with junk parts.

I went to address a reverse light that hadn't been working for a long time. Of course the bulb socket needed to be bent up a little and was fixed in five minutes. Since I was back there, I decided to look into another issue that was bothering me. The cargo light has never worked.

I quickly found out that the bulb was fine, there was no power, and no ground to the door switched side. Fun! I pulled the lift gate switch out on a hunch. The connector was broken, so I replaced that.
About a year ago, I tried to fix this issue with a new switch without diagnosis in sort of a "hero" attempt. Now that I know how the lamp works I know that this couldn't have fixed it, but oh well.
w0H4VEB.jpg

Then it broke when I reinstalled the connector. :grrr: Does anybody know where I can get a nice one? This design is pretty awful, and I wish I kept the original.

I also never found power, but I don't know where to test other than at the fuse or the lamp connector. Is there a connection somewhere in the middle I can check? Times like these make me really miss volvowiringdiagrams.com. I left the car with more knowledge and working reverse lights, but I'm a lot more frustrated! We are going to be taking this car on another trip next weekend so I don't want to start it feeling bitter toward the car.
0ryLdMj.jpg

Fianc? says she drove the whole way to work with the rear dome light on. :???: That would be the first reported sighting of that light working, so I guess I'll have to play with it a little more later. Weird.

Fianc? says she drove the whole way to work with the rear dome light on. :???: That would be the first reported sighting of that light working, so I guess I'll have to play with it a little more later. Weird.

I guess the light itself has a switch? These tend to break down and such. Check it out.

I guess the light itself has a switch? These tend to break down and such. Check it out.

I definitely have multiple issues because the door switch is known bad and the light will only come on when the key is on even though the power wire should be hot at all times. I never tested the light switch, but I know the door switch is toast. I'll probably have to deal with that first.

I found the dome light diagrams. Apparently there is a 4-pin connector up by the dash I can test, but then it's just a solid wire all the way to the back. Hopefully I can find out what's going on from there.

However this light is getting power is certainly not stock. I unplugged the mentioned 4 pin connector with the key on and the light stayed on. There's something really goofy going on there. I'm not prepared to go digging much further though. The best thing to do would be to remove or rewire the remote start. It's ugly to say the least, and massive pain to work around. Does anybody else know of a better place to check? Let me know.

Until then, I decided to fix the door switch. I'm guessing there isn't a quality replacement for these anymore anyway.
dmz4MTA.jpg

1rosypz.jpg

Yeah, that's right. I went there. $0.17 an hour. I live it.

I gave up on the lighting issue. Once I realized that I dove into an issue much bigger than I anticipated, I started focusing on more important stuff.

Also, we went on another road trip! Moose visited his 6th state with us.
zZpiHYa.png

xRwI0CG.png

...and the 7th!
5tp6v3u.png

49NT682.png

qJYW8Z5.png

Glam rack after a successful arrival
lOBbuEC.png

And glam caps
M5HATyw.png

Great Smoky Mountains National Park
4SrFF5T.png

I think there was some sort of Bronco gathering going on while we were in the Smokies, because I had never seen so many first gens in my life.
MBFhRPf.png

AuQEZJ8.png

ZN5C4iT.png

XmV0gH1.png

4qXag8v.png

hgv6caL.png

Massive centipede is massive nope.
r4tBs9u.png

ininUS9.png

The new chairlift and glass Skybridge in Gatlinburg are pretty cool. I remember feeling scared on the old lift (pre-fire), but the new one is so smooth that even I felt safe. I still hate heights though.
LzKvuEV.png

0PVteFu.png

cZ65xvw.png

QyCtWYS.png

XHVzHS7.png

rtuk0OO.png

49wXDql.png

2WMQv4R.png

I helped a little buddy cross the road. He was clearly scared.
OP8d4Sv.png

X2MTqUk.png

Ending mileage:
HKisJ29.png

Moose is a champ! He's not great in the steep sections of mountain roads, but you can bet that we got where we needed to go. More power would be nice, but I have higher priorities.

Awesome & wholesome update. Thanks for sharing these photos.
Such a gorgeous vehicle, and you're doing it justice by taking it on drives like that.

Keep it up!

Awesome & wholesome update. Thanks for sharing these photos.
Such a gorgeous vehicle, and you're doing it justice by taking it on drives like that.

Keep it up!

Thanks! I have delicate garage queens, but Volvo's cockroach reputation makes me feel obligated to keep that odometer rolling. It may not stay Volvo powered forever, but it will be a reliable and efficient driver for as long as we own it.

Thank you for doing that. Your karma bank account has been updated!

I like turtles. :-P

I bought two of my own when I was in middle school. Had I known what I know now, I would never have done it. Turtles are wild animals, and the wild is the only place they belong. Unfortunately, mine have been in my care for too long and would never survive in the wild. Therefore, I'm in this for the long haul. I hope they're relatively happy.
F4fRYKh.jpg

44FiQIm.png

I like turtles. :-P

I bought two of my own when I was in middle school. Had I known what I know now, I would never have done it. Turtles are wild animals, and the wild is the only place they belong. Unfortunately, mine have been in my care for too long and would never survive in the wild. Therefore, I'm in this for the long haul. I hope they're relatively happy.

I do too!

You make very salient facts that are often lost on the potential owner of a turtle, when they spot the hatchling in the aquarium at the pet store.

Turtles have never been domesticated and have a lifespan that, with proper care, can outlast the lifespan of their caretaker.

Good thing you got them when you were young.

The odometer started doing it's thing again so I started doing my thing again. I won't go into too much detail because it's all here. https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=350828&page=2
TzNq0ou.jpg

I'm hoping the new cap fixed it once and for all. So far so good! I didn't want to stop at 9AM though. There are other little things that bug me. First of all, the floor is wet all the time. I'm going to check that drain that everybody talks about.
2H0twYN.jpg

yz6NyX3.jpg

Oops! Judging by the placement of the heater hose, it looks like somebody was not careful when installing their updated valve.
oyNukcO.jpg

But there was plenty of slack to get it routed around the drain.
OZX5cJY.jpg

After a good vacuum job, I sucked up a lot of water from the floor and a big wad of leaves behind the dash. Is there any secret to keeping junk out of there, short of parking your car in a garage? It seems like it's way too easy for entire leaves to drop into the cowl and then get stuck behind the evaporator in these cars. At least cleaning it up seems relatively easy.

I decided to finally finish the brake failure switch while I was on a roll.
orRTT7W.jpg

t86NTBg.jpg

OtDnnQW.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q4cSnhlxbzc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then I wanted to finish the day with an oil change. Karma never seems to happen with me and my cars. :-( There's always something in need of a repair.
Hj6AY9Y.jpg

I have no idea where to get a connector like this. Is there a standard bullet connector I can use? I never even noticed that the oil light wasn't illuminating during bulb check. :grrr: lame. Beer time.

Last edited:
After a good vacuum job, I sucked up a lot of water from the floor and a big wad of leaves behind the dash. Is there any secret to keeping junk out of there, short of parking your car in a garage? It seems like it's way too easy for entire leaves to drop into the cowl and then get stuck behind the evaporator in these cars. At least cleaning it up seems relatively easy.

Snow scoops are popular in that regard. Wish a cabin air filter were remotely feasible.

You are optimistic with all the modification stuff that you do. I feel like maintaining an old car is expensive nowadays. Finding auto parts is not easy and there will always a problem along the way.

Thank you!

Snow scoops are popular in that regard. Wish a cabin air filter were remotely feasible.

I figured that would be the best solution. I'm not a fan of the cost or the looks though. I'd rather just clean my drain every now ant then.

You are optimistic with all the modification stuff that you do. I feel like maintaining an old car is expensive nowadays. Finding auto parts is not easy and there will always a problem along the way.

After 30 years of road time, I swear these cars are ready to yeet in any way possible. There's only so much we can do. There will come a time where repairs and or keeping the car original just aren't worth the headache anymore. I just adapt and overcome as those issues arise.

I do think this car will get turbo 3800 power if it remains in the fleet for another few years. If not, you'll probably see it for sale around 2022.

Back