• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Coolant Sensor: How Does it Work?

It's the level sensor in the reservoir right? No clue but pretty cool it doesnt touch the coolant. First time I replaced one I had a coolant bin ready and everything

There is a ring shaped float with the magnet inside the coolant tank. At the low position it activates the sensor which is actually a switch.

The "sensor" will have a reed switch inside the long black tip.

reedsw-itchglass.jpg

5S11752_1__ra_p.jpg

The tank should have a some kind of float inside (often donut-shaped, with a small magnet in it), that rides up and down on a molded-in, hollow waterproof tube. Here's an Audi tank cut open...

Auditank.jpg

The switch usually inserts into the bottom of the tank, up inside the hollow tube.

When the coolant level drops, the magnet in the float gets close enough to the 2 "reeds", they are attracted to each other and close the circuit, turning on the warning light.

reedsw-itch.gif

The tank should have a some kind of float inside (often donut-shaped, with a small magnet in it), that rides up and down on a molded-in, hollow waterproof tube.

Yes, Volvo 912997

93-940's owner's manual does not show idiot light for it, but it's shown in OEM parts for this sensor. Owner's manual does show a Low washer fluid level, so maybe I can rig something up if a ground circuit is used for triggering Low washer fluid level.

Thanks for responses...

I think only V/S90's and may be late 960's had that switch wired. It's a great safety feature, I thought about adding a warning light for that too.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="15717467" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.4067796610169492"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/magic-how-do-they-work-magnets-ho-wtf-gif-15717467">Magic How Do They Work GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/magic-gifs">Magic GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

It's a great safety feature...

Problem with OEM vacuum controlled heater valve on 7s/9s is when it leaks, engine may be toast...history....just depends upon your situation, local, highway, etc.

I had just rebuilt my 1984-B23F, which is installed in the 93-940, and I was 180 miles away from home, and heater valve shot craps...lucky me, I saw the temp rising, and there was a Dollar General store, one block away.

If I recall correctly Volvo was required by law to have that circuit for the Japanese market. Looks like a great addition to the car for safety.

If I recall correctly Volvo was required by law to have that circuit for the Japanese market.

On EFI based semi-trucks since around early 1990s, when coolant level was low or if temp too high, an engine could be shut-down if these parameters were turned on in ECM.

My 1993-940 US did not come with coolant sensor, and the Expansion Tank did not have this float inside. Same Expansion Tank (9122997) in design.

I used a Coolant Level Sensor For Volvo Truck FH VN FL FM NH VNL VHD 630 670 780 21399626, which is cheaper than OEM Volvo, plugged it into a new Expansion Tank, and spliced wires so a LED would light up just below dashboard. Works fine

The tank should have a some kind of float inside (often donut-shaped, with a small magnet in it), that rides up and down on a molded-in, hollow waterproof tube. Here's an Audi tank cut open...

Auditank.jpg

Ever since suddenly leaking coolant caused a blown head gasket in my '92 940 in the middle of nowhere (200km tow back home) I'm obsessed with preventing that trauma ever happening again. After the rebuild I installed an extra temp sensor to the (back of the) head that triggers a loud buzzer in the digital display in the cabin at a preset temperature. Of course I copied that setup to my present mildly tuned '97 230FT, but as part of switching to Evans waterless/pressureless coolant I put a level sensor in the coolant reservoir (not the original Volvo but a cheaper one, also magnet/reed type). Since the wiper washer fluid level sensor was broken (and I don't care about that) I have used the nearby existing wiring for that to conveniently make the connection from the reservoir to the instrument cluster and it will set off the wiper washer warning light now. For me it works just fine and I have peace of mind.

Back