• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 740 sputters then dies in rain

if you had this leaking issue between paravan and hood it is a good idea to take the dizzy cap off completely and clean/dry it inside and outside. Both the red cap and the black cap that sits over it. There might be residual moisture between the caps causing intermittent leaking of HT-energy leading to missfires

They were both brand new before I had this issue. Less than a week since I installed them. It's now been three weeks since I installed the new CPS and I've not had the issue persist. My only concerns are an intermittent long crank time and the car intermittently breaks up when I'm boosting over 10psi.

I was driving in my old 740 during a rainstorm and had to drive through a big puddle because I couldnt switch lanes. I was running IPD lowering springs so, closer to the water haha. When I woke up the next day and turned it on, it was puttering and sputtering. Sounded like stomach ache farts. Anyway, I checked the spark plugs and spark plug wires - discovered that water has affected 1 of my spark plugs and moisture was inside 2 spark plug wires. I changed the spark plug, checked every other one too, dried out the spark plug wires and opened the distributor and sprayed a little wd40 on it to remove any moisture. After that, the sputtering and puttering stopped and it ran smoothly again.

Pulled my spark plugs they each had a gap around 0.028-0.030. I noticed the threads were oily. I've been told by my friends that when I'm boosting in front of them on the road they see black smoke pop from the exhaust. Is this lh2.4 dumping fuel when it sees more than 7psi? Some TLAO chips may help?
IMG-2374.jpg

IMG-2375.jpg

Yes, I agree that the plugs look ok. Maybe try a slightly thicker oil like 15-40w and see if that improves. You can also with a cold engine remove the intake hose and check the turbo for excessive shaft play.

Back