• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Brake rotor opinions

Which is best?

• OEM Volvo

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Brembo

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bosch Quietcast

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Zimmerman

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

daniels740

I'm just about to order some brake pads and rotors for my 740 and I want to know what option is best.

For the pads, I'm getting the Bosch quietcast pads for all 4 wheels.

For the rotors, I'm split between the Bosch, Brembo, or OEM Volvo rotors. What are your opinions?

The problem with the Bosch is that only the rear rotors are available, so is it better to just go with Brembo to have the same brand rotor on all wheels?

Also, does anyone know if there are any promo codes I could use for an order for about $300 on Ipd?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
It's a hunk of steel, none of the brands listed have special features, or advertise special alloy mixes, carbon impregnation, slots, drilled, etc, they are exactly all the same.

The only reason I'm repeating myself here is because a poll is silly and not needed. Just buy some dam rotors and move on my man.

It's a hunk of steel, none of the brands listed have special features, or advertise special alloy mixes, carbon impregnation, slots, drilled, etc, they are exactly all the same.

The only reason I'm repeating myself here is because a poll is silly and not needed. Just buy some dam rotors and move on my man.

There absolutely IS a difference, ranging from coatings used for rust prevention to rotor balancing. I am not familiar with the brands so that's why I asked, and I certainly don't agree with the argument that they don't have ANY differences.
As for the poll, maybe it was a bit extra, but I don't see the problem in learning from others opinions. :e-shrug:

Sorry, no there isn't a difference. They are all well known brands who do things properly. None of them have painted hats, they are all balanced properly, you are over thinking this. I get learning from other opinions, I do it also, just saying this isn't brain surgery, and I gave you a well informed opinion from many years of experience. I appreciate the attention to details, it is just not that necessary on a brake rotor.

If you want a real recommendation, ceramic/carbon pads from Akebono or Powerstop, slotted rotors. Paint the hats with a high temp paint if you plan on keeping them on the car for a million years. I replace rotors with the pads every time so it is kinda not an issue for me.

Uh, no..It is not steel...It is cast iron....like the block...
The rest you are 100% right on..
Excprt for a lotta people they actually want to feel good about their purchases and believe old saws like "you get what you pay for".....so they actually want to believe the cast iron rotor very likely made in China (they were only about 1600 years ahead of the West in cast iron casting once they had invented it) but in this box is somehow substantially better than the very likely exact same rotor very likely made in China in that box>

Shirley you can see the difference in the boxes, can't you?....:oops:

truth is nobody really KNOWS where anything comes from any more and they didn't before, either.. so believing one thing is better is important..:nod:

Maybe we could suggest he prays? :oogle:

The various zinc platings is just cosmetic BS and in the plating business there is a big warning where I used to take stuff for zinc plating there was a sign "Not responsible for nitrogen embrittlement on cast iron"... That sign made me ask...they splained..
So I'd never touch a zinc plated rotor...

Sorry, no there isn't a difference. They are all well known brands who do things properly. None of them have painted hats, they are all balanced properly, you are over thinking this. I get learning from other opinions, I do it also, just saying this isn't brain surgery, and I gave you a well informed opinion from many years of experience. I appreciate the attention to details, it is just not that necessary on a brake rotor.

If you want a real recommendation, ceramic/carbon pads from Akebono or Powerstop, slotted rotors. Paint the hats with a high temp paint if you plan on keeping them on the car for a million years. I replace rotors with the pads every time so it is kinda not an issue for me.

Alright, I'll take your word for it.. I guess I have been over-thinking all this quite a bit. Thanks for all the help.

I've been buying the blue box Volvo rotors lately. Except the boxes aren't blue any more. Just ordinary cardboard color. Compared to the Brembo brand I used to buy they come packaged well, shrink wrapped and easier to clean off the anti corrosion coating, add to my collection of new caliper bolts with thread lock compound applied -- for about the same price.

On the other hand, we don't race or use ceramic pads, and I'm easy to please.

I put Beck/Arnley $10 vented 0832246 rotors from Rockauto on my Lemons race car and have used them for four races. Not a lot of mileage, but a lot of use and heat. They have not warped or cracked. I saw someone at one of the races try drilled rotors, they cracked the first day.

Pads are a different story, I spend a lot of $$ on my race pads.

I've been buying the blue box Volvo rotors lately. Except the boxes aren't blue any more. Just ordinary cardboard color. Compared to the Brembo brand I used to buy they come packaged well, shrink wrapped and easier to clean off the anti corrosion coating, add to my collection of new caliper bolts with thread lock compound applied -- for about the same price.

On the other hand, we don't race or use ceramic pads, and I'm easy to please.

I think I'll order the Brembo rotors, because as Roy suggested, they are the cheaper option and there's no significant difference. The Volvo rotors are ~$12 more per rotor from iPd, which is where I'm getting them.
That being said, anyone know any iPd promo codes that would apply to an order of around $300?
Thanks for all the help guys.

Now would have been a good time to upgrade to jumbo rotors and single piston calipers (and mounting brackets) from 92+ 740/940/92-94 960.

Installed Zimmermann fronts and rears on mine over a year ago. No problems. The box said Made in Germany, packaging was very nice, they have some coating on the hub section that prevents rusting. Looks to me like a quality product.

Back