• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

heh, the two manual 242 turbos i've driven were differnt but both were boring.

They were nearly perfect inside and out, one is non-IC and the other is.

the non-IC was a very nice car, tight and all, but it didnt really give that great torque that I was expecting and with the low compression... it was OK. I'd probally convert that car to IC and turn up the boost and have alot more fun, but thats not my car.

the IC one... ROFL. It ran great... just that the boost was turned down BELOW FACTORY! GROAN. I really wanted to drive a car like mine but with a turbo... sigh... not yet. I liked the way the torque kicked in, but it was too little.

heh

if you mean by my length of post... yeah i was bored.

"The intercooler has made for only plusses. More of yous guys should be thinking of doing something like this for your toys."

Just thought that wqas worth repeating. Seeing how it's what EVERYONE on here has been arguing with me about for months. ;)

Volvo78GT said:
Wow. When I have money I'll most definately direct my questions to you!

Could you tell us a little about it?

Yup. Lots of dough.
The shocks make for a descent ride yet one can really thrash on the car without having things ever get sloppy. Firm without harsh. Very Very controlled. Ya would just have to drive a car with this stuff in it. Sorry, not too likely that many of ya will be driving mine. I just don't seem to get too far from the West coast.

Oh guys and gals.......Nothing but plusses with the HUGE intercooler.
Nothing but plusses with the HUGE intercooler. Nothing but plusses with the HUGE intercooler. Nothing but plusses with the HUGE intercooler. Is it starting to sink in?
LOL. JohnLane.

OK! I get it now, if I'm running a T04 or a big ass hybrid, get the biggest frigging IC I can, and worry about trannys and axles and tires later! It all makes sense...why am I wasting my time with a 45-trim T03?

John- will you be giving test rides at the iPd garage sale? Or making an appearance at the VCOA National meet?

Nope. Still don't get it. ;)
This would apply to any turbo. Actually, maybe even more so to small ones since there'd be a greater tendency to run them at the edge of their efficiency range. A big ic like that should allow a person to get a few more psi of USEABLE (ie not superheated) manifold pressure out of a stock turbo. So it would shine in an otherwise stock scenario too.

I can't believe you guys are even bitching about any adverse effects on power production with a larger/better IC. The concerns are with fitting a huge IC, and making air can get through it without making your car too aerodynamically challenged. Both Kenny and John seem to have adressed the fitting and aerodynamic problem, and gasp are finding that it works. I notice that John held on to the square headlights. Looks fine, but if you want high beams you can fit single rounds and a GT/DL hood/grille. Or Just run dual rounds, since from the picture it looks as though they will fit. 28PSI is going to be fun in a PRV. I think even volvo knew their IC didn't flow that well when they made the 940 IC, since it is taller with a centered inlet. It is possible that for reasons Kenny already mentioned (small turbo cooling) it was important to make the tiny mitsu breathe a little easier on post 92 cars. If even the conservative volvo put a significantly larger IC on cars specifically designed for small turbos I think that would be proof enough that there was more to be had. I would be interested to see a comparsion between a 240/740 IC and a 940 IC.

gtlover said:
OK! I get it now, if I'm running a T04 or a big ass hybrid, get the biggest frigging IC I can, and worry about trannys and axles and tires later! It all makes sense...why am I wasting my time with a 45-trim T03?

John- will you be giving test rides at the iPd garage sale? Or making an appearance at the VCOA National meet?

I will be at Thunderhill at the end of April, and would not miss the IPD event if I am invited. That is always a nice day with nice folks. I will be at the Doo-Wop rallies the first weekend of March. Come out to see a good time happening.
JohnLane.

945ti said:
I can't believe you guys are even bitching about any adverse effects on power production with a larger/better IC. The concerns are with fitting a huge IC, and making air can get through it without making your car too aerodynamically challenged.

course ... I'd have one in there too but I am not about to get anywhere close to my car with a sawzall and start hacking away. I have been looking at maybe getting the PS IC cut down to fit instead but it doesnt look to "reweld" friendly as those bar and plate style, though I have looked at a PS IC in real life. :?

next on the list though is the LSD then the tranny .. then BIG IC.

-Oskar

760T man said:
John,
do you require an age of 21+ to drive your car?

I plan on roadtripping this and next summer and may try to head up that way. I have some friends up there.

The program is that you break it, you bought it. :roll:

OK guys and gals. I got some descent gas in the thing last night, and went to be a little naughty.
Freeway onramp. Two lanes merge to one. Second gear. Ford SVT lightning thing (the superdupercharged V-8 thing) in the next lane. I hear him plant his right foot (supercharger is noisy!!) I roll throttle to the mat. Boost comes up (set to 14lbs) G-forces build as I am pulled into the seat, and the rear tires break free on nice grippy tarmac. Grab third. Same drill. Oh-Oops. 6500 in third is 90mph or so. :shock: It is there as fast (or faster) as you are reading this. Oh and the pickup truck? He is a speck Wayyyyyyy back there wondering just what the hell happened. I back it down to 70 for the cruise home. The SVT thng catches me a few minutes later and gives me the big wave and a grin. No harm done. The EGO will grow back. Always does. :wink:
She is almost ready for the rally, and will be a LOT of fun. Now if I can just keep the shiny side up.
JL.

[quote:23a5c5aee2]Just thought that wqas worth repeating. Seeing how it's what EVERYONE on here has been arguing with me about for months.

Need I bring up the internet? The idea of putting a diesel truck intercooler into a car wasnt your idea Ken. You actually argued with me about it when I first mentioned it. "it'll never work, too large, it would take forever to fill...blahblahblah." Thats what you said about the holset too in one of those I-know-better-than-you ways...Any old timer will remember. I'd dig it up from the old message board, but I actually have a life.

No worries mate, you'll get that claim-to-fame one day.

Mr Lane and Mr lock what mods (if any) were requiered to put the M46 behind the B280 and would they work for an M90 or do you know an I6 M90H would fit as is. as over here it not that hard to pick them up.

thank you for sharing your wisdom :wink:

Ok John,
You are going to HAVE to quit writing those kill stories like that last one. :rant: You're making me want to build a damn :barf: V6! I absolutely refuse to build a PRV! :x I'm not listening anymore :pow: (hands over ears), na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na.

Patrick D.

PS, there are 6 Premiers at the PnP near me. :oops:

PPS, this emoticon is the shit! :woowoo:

ravennexus said:
Mr Lane and Mr lock what mods (if any) were requiered to put the M46 behind the B280 and would they work for an M90 or do you know an I6 M90H would fit as is. as over here it not that hard to pick them up.

thank you for sharing your wisdom :wink:

You will have to install a pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft. The hole is already there for it. The B-280 did not come with a amnual behind it in the USA. The M-46 is not up to the task.
Have fun with your project.
JL.

LOL I'd rather read one of John's stories than watch a movie.
Great stuff.

And raven the white block bell housing is not the same as the prv- so the M90 would require some mods. Back in the 70's I thought there were manual PRV's, at least in Europe. You should check into that, as they had M51's I think which are supposed to be pretty tough.

[edit]oh and just for poor obe, as I said in pm's sorry if you thought I was saying my idea, I was just saying I did it first, and I've been praising it for some time in spite of a lot of disdain. How long have i thought it was a good idea? have a look at this thread bro:
http://pub122.ezboard.com/fturbobricksfrm4.showMessageRange?topicID=8.topic&start=1&stop=20

a quote
"I'm starting to wonder if biggass, hi-eff IC might be a more worthwhile mod than it is given credit for.... I'm starting to wonder if a custom IC will be one of the *first* mods to go on my next car."

I said that in December of 2001. Yep, gotta love the internet.:) [/edit]

tuff240 said:
Ok John,
You are going to HAVE to quit writing those kill stories like that last one. :rant: You're making me want to build a damn :barf: V6! I absolutely refuse to build a PRV! :x I'm not listening anymore :pow: (hands over ears), na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na.

So Patrick.......I guess that you just are not into going as fast as I am easily able to huh?
I didn't mention the Corvette in the Battery Street tunnel did I? Poor guy. He had no idea. 'Twas a mean thing to do to him, but he was just a little too full of himself and I couldn't resist. LOL.
JL.

Back