• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B18/B20 six blade radiator fan.

spock345

I found something interesting while scrounging in the engine bay of a Amazon that was a bit too close to a house fire. A six bladed mechanical fan but small enough to fit an Amazon radiator and without a fan clutch.

It is similar in footprint to the stock metal four blade and plastic five blade fans and was mounted to the water pump with a little aluminum spacer. The blades are secured to the middle with rivets much like the later metal clutch fans.

Is this fan a niche OEM option or something aftermarket? Is it safe to run? I've heard some stories about the later clutch fans that had rivets give way. I gave it a quick repaint and it fits perfectly.

The OE flex fan was a 1970 only deal, and used with a ~7/8" spacer in the 140 application.

Much sought after back in the day for use with the early top loader smaller radiator.

NB:

Stand / keep clear when revving it up as they have been known to shuck a blade when over-revved.

The 6 blade rigid fan was part of the A/C kit. It's safe to run but most of them I see have bent blades. They're designed to be very close to the radiator and it doesn't take much for the engine to shift forward and make contact.

fan-02.jpg

The 6 blade rigid fan was part of the A/C kit. It's safe to run but most of them I see have bent blades. They're designed to be very close to the radiator and it doesn't take much for the engine to shift forward and make contact.

fan-02.jpg

I did notice that the fan had a spacer stuck to it by old paint. I pried that off before painting it. I am guessing that was to get it close to the radiator. Any diminished performance from removing that spacer to give a bit more clearance?

Luckily this one doesn't seem to have any obviously bent blades.

Back