• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Valve seal?

Wilford Brimley

Is posting from the grave
I've never dealt with this before but I get a good amount of blue smoke after about 1m of running then it will eventually devolve into small poofs of smoke sooo since I have covid(feel fine but still off work) thought I'd tear down the motor and clean and inspect everything upon which I found what I think is the culprit of my smoke? Is this a valve seal issue usually?

Exhaust guide doesn't use a seal from the factory, and the stock guide isn't machined for a seal.
Aftermarket bronze guides are the same for intake/exhaust (not all, but most are), and you can run those with or without a seal.

Exhaust guide doesn't use a seal from the factory, and the stock guide isn't machined for a seal.
Aftermarket bronze guides are the same for intake/exhaust (not all, but most are), and you can run those with or without a seal.

Ok didn't know i just don't know why oil would be there

Exh valve guides definitely wear on badly beat to **** 'ridden hard & put away wet' 240T non-IC higher mile cars, but not that much, commonly, on most of the rest of the Volvo SOHC, tho I don't bother much with 7/9s & did a bunch of HGs/dealt with a bunch of over-heats on those?

IDK what happens to them on overboosted TBed-ed out redblock time-bombs when the owner coulda just had a V8 or 3.0 B280 recombine?

If the crankcase has excess pressure I suppose it could be an issue? :e-shrug:

Intercooled cared for cars no exh valve seal hasn't been a 'problem' with synthetic oil & ZDDP additive?

Last edited:
I had an exhaust valve that had the seals installed seize, so I definitely would not do that again. That little trickle of oil gets burned off, I'm thinking your guides are a bit loose.

I had an exhaust valve that had the seals installed seize, so I definitely would not do that again. That little trickle of oil gets burned off, I'm thinking your guides are a bit loose.

Cost iron guide, or bronze?

Back