• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 brake upgrade

so the porsche bbk that you guys are putting on the 850's would bolt up to an early 940se/960/940 with the use of washers for the brackets?

No, only a 95+ 960 that has revised suspension with a separate strut and knuckle.

The caliper and bracket are more or less the same dimensions (if a different design) on 940/960/850 . However the 850 and late 960 discs have a different offset (by 6mm) and a corresponding sideways shift in the mounting point. Therefore to fit 850 discs on a early 940 you need to space the caliper inward by those 6mm (and use longer bolts).
Presumably any kit designed to fit the 850 could also be spaced in the same way to fit the 940.

For future reference, V70 caliper carriers and 302mm discs do indeed fit a 960, however v70 calipers are also required, ask me how I know...

Monty, until you mentioned V70 calipers, most of the rest of this thread made me assume the stock 960 calipers would work with the larger 302 rotors and brackets to match. What happened in your needing to use the V70 calipers? Do you need different pads with those also? Does the 960 brake hose work? Is the V70 caliper the same style-piston size much different?

FYI, Volvo once sold a Big Brake upgrade kit for 8 and 9 series. It came with bracket, discs, spacer, and bolts. On an 850 or late 960, didnt need spacers, but 9 series needs 850 calipers.

Monty, until you mentioned V70 calipers, most of the rest of this thread made me assume the stock 960 calipers would work with the larger 302 rotors and brackets to match. What happened in your needing to use the V70 calipers? Do you need different pads with those also? Does the 960 brake hose work? Is the V70 caliper the same style-piston size much different?

I also assumed the 960 calipers would bolt on as no one had mentioned they wouldn't, they are similar but the mounts are different so 850 calipers and pads are therefore required. I haven't change the rear brakes as they are only 6 months old, pretty sure the 850/s/v70 rear discs are near enough the same size as the 960 anyway so wouldn't really be an upgrade. So mine now has 850 t5 Black Diamond 302mm discs, 850 t5 caliper carriers to space out the caliper, 850 calipers as the 960 ones wont bolt on to the 850 carriers, 850 Black Diamond pads and 410mm long hoses which were standard fitment for the 960 and available from ECP's. Brakes are now fierce and the only significant outlay was the discs themselves so its been a worthwhile upgrade!

Back