home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-02-2022, 08:18 PM   #1
blakemcelroy2000
Board Member

Default 98? V70R Driveshaft

Hey all, recently bought a V70R and one of the previous owners took out the driveshaft. Ive read that different cars within ?98 have different driveshafts depending on flange size. Ive also heard to contact Colorado driveshaft, but they haven?t gotten back to me. Any other sources? Can I just rip one out of a junkyard XC? Thanks

Last edited by blakemcelroy2000; 06-02-2022 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Messed up title
blakemcelroy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakemcelroy2000 View Post
Hey all, recently bought a V70R and one of the previous owners took out the driveshaft. Ive read that different cars within ?98 have different driveshafts depending on flange size. Ive also heard to contact Colorado driveshaft, but they haven?t gotten back to me. Any other sources? Can I just rip one out of a junkyard XC? Thanks

Post back with the VIN. That determines which shaft you have.

I have a couple of the late 98 shafts, and probably 99-00 version (larger carrier bearing)

CV's can be replaced/rebuilt

Bigger issue is why did they remove it? Usually it's NOT because the joints are bad, but because the Angle Drive or Viscous Coupling are ****ed. This thread I made many years back (on Swedespeed) lists the variants, etc.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
blakemcelroy2000
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post

I have a couple of the late 98 shafts, and probably 99-00 version (larger carrier bearing)

Bigger issue is why did they remove it? Usually it's NOT because the joints are bad, but because the Angle Drive or Viscous Coupling are ****ed. This thread I made many years back (on Swedespeed) lists the variants, etc.
Vin is YV1LW5248W2433890. Colorado Driveshaft got back to me. $540 + $100 for core. Ouch! Is there any non R car that I can rip a driveshaft out of that will match mine? Id just want to use it to test my VC and Angle Gear aren?t shot, and then use it to get the core charge back
blakemcelroy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
ovlov760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post

I had to replace mine because the carrier bearing and center support had rusted enough to allow the driveshaft to flop around.
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Any chance you could re-post / re-host some of the missing pictures in this super-helpful and awesome thread from Swedespeed?

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:03 PM   #6
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

How do you determine quickly in the junkyard if the coupling or angle gear is bad?

How do you 'rebuild' the CVs or what other car takes that CV joint that's common & junkyardable

Concur on the rest, i'm just trying to keep time & costs as low as possible to roach down -'98XCs & V70Rs. The V70R valved/ride height rear nivomats are annoyingly rare in the JY but I've hoarded a few for cheap for mine as needed...$200ea self-leveling rear shock/spring things...love em when they work but silly to have the air pump & sprung part be part of the wear part (shock absorber/damper).

Mostly Rs not because I like them (I prefer the XC cladding & white paint to bash around with no sunroof/manual seats & 5 speed/n/A motor/less to break), but because of any of the P80s only those, mint stick shift 850s & super low mile 850Rs/T5-Rs aren't sale-proof if you should ever decide to sell it...

Buy a subaru with AWD that actually works/isn't made of glass with good viscous coupling & LSD options for all 3 diffs that you can recombine the junk drawer to get low range & dis-engageable rear wheels? Lower labor times, motor comes out easy, better weight balance, profit & profit again?
That said, the subaru motor is kind of a weak POS, so tho it's light & comes out in record time, all but the 90-94 non-interference EJ22 turbo closed deck forged crank blocks kinda...suuuuck? Lots of years of parts interchange/lots of them in the JYs in a nice way...kinda more so than the P80s tho they made whiteblocks plenty of years too mostly compatible broadly speaking...93-2010ish? RN swap being pretty 'doable'...

Prefer the Volvo safety, paint, rustproofing & comfy seats, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 06-19-2022 at 10:08 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote