home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-21-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
the_hairy_baboon
Board Member

Default Driver Side Fresh Air Vent Leak

I had left the driver side (left) fresh air vent open while parked and we had some rain and there was some water in the footwell. I've seen a few threads that says the old gasket comes loose/leaks and fixing that will stop water intrusion, so I plan to do that BUT I can't find something that explains the airflow pathing to know whether the rain could have forced in through the open vent on a stationary car.

A prior owner did ding the left fender / driver's door. The front left tire's wheel well liner is popped forward slightly to the rear of the tire. The beltline trim is also gone on the fender (so the mounting holes are open).

The vent gets good airflow when driving so I know it has to face some high pressure zone which means it wouldn't make sense to also get water intrusion which is why I suspect the gasket, but wanted to see if anyone could provide a good flow path diagram before I start dismantling to seal stuff.
the_hairy_baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:01 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

The air comes from the cowl, runs down that channel which turns to become the rocker panel.

Not likely to leak there I'd look further up on the firewall where leaks usually occur.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:03 AM   #3
planetman
Board Member

Do a water test 1st to determine where the water is coming from.

240?

With or without a sunroof?
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
2 old for this
Board Member

The a/c - heater box has a drain the gets clogged. It can be pulled out for cleaning.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Windshields can have sneaky leaks. I'd do that suggested water test and see what happens.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Window leak or heater box drain or bunch of Gunk from the cowl vents trapped around the wiper motor pass-thru making a dam more likely & spilling all over farther up?

Or rockers/pinch weld drains totally full of gunk & trapping water until it spills out the foot vent ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #7
the_hairy_baboon
Board Member

Poured water into the cowl, this is the resulting drain pattern, two main areas water came out of (much higher flow before I got the photo). Only poured maybe half a gallon in. The rain was monsoon and then a long light rain, so possibly filled up and overflowed.

I do have the volvo floor guards in and they did collect some water as well as the carpet below them, and since nothing else looked like water could have gotten into the floor guards due to angles, that's why I think it came through the duct.

I pulled back some carpet trim and saw the plastic discs that other threads show as a way of accessing that area. Are those something that are easy enough to put back in place that sticking a vacuum through there is a good idea?

the_hairy_baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

That is how you access the inner rockers to clean out crud. There are a few drains along the pinch weld edge that are good to use a stiff wire to clear out. Pop out the plastic plugs and use the vacuum. You can even take the round plugs out of the floor pan if needed for a total flush.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
That is how you access the inner rockers to clean out crud. There are a few drains along the pinch weld edge that are good to use a stiff wire to clear out. Pop out the plastic plugs and use the vacuum. You can even take the round plugs out of the floor pan if needed for a total flush.
Bent copper old Volvo brake line with a non-scratching tip on the air gun can be real nice for those to surgically reach everything & dislodge the crud that sits along the bottoms followed by the small flex hose on the shop vac…

Then, follow up with a good flushing & some cosmoline or lps marine cavity wax for corrosion prevention if the car isn’t already rusted out…

& make a note to install the accessory cowl vent cover I’ve had but haven’t installed all these years?
Volvo cheaped out 140 / 240 & later; no more retractable/close-able accessory stainless dealie / ‘snow cap’ like some of the 122s got…
Wiper motor & transmission is better designed on the 140, tho neither 140 nor ‘73+/240 design will likely fare well If the wipers are left or powered on while iced up/forget & leave the switch on…they didn’t wise up like the better of the Japanese automakers and have nylon lined ball-socket joints that can harmlessly pop off the ball if the wipers are powered up while stuck/trapped in ice carelessly or something that’s easy to do that makes a guy feel like an idiot for making a potentially costly error…

or magnet sign for storage/indoor storage or some corrugated roofing on the roof rack of the wagon to be parked outside? Idk? Have fewer cars & a climate controlled paved indoor storage & hyperbaric chamber?

Or at least carport that breathes well to park cars under Over dry/draining tamped gravel or pavement to deal with 99% of heat, humidity & UV as well as tree branches, sap/acid rain, most of the dew or salt fog that condenses, snow & whatever else even if not climate controlled/air tight indoor storage?
Maybe some frame mounted or similar jacks & cover bags to keep the pressure & heat off the tires for 100+ year storage?
No cat and some hi octane stabil/ smokeless 2 stroke oil & no oxygen or ethanol gas or the Gucci $$$ standby generator E0 gas that’s made to sit for decades @ a time short of propane that never goes bad?

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 06-25-2022 at 05:47 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #10
johfraser
Board Member

There should be a large opening at the bottom of the fender. Remove the interior side panel and check the vent door operation and seal.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote