home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #1
thesilverbrickpdx

Default B230 dumps oil post pcv install

Howdy y'all

Over the weekend I finally got around to replacing the PCV system on my 91 wagon. The engine has over 300k on it, and was suffering horribly from overpressure. That said on my first test run around the block post install I noticed a huge cloud of smoke, which upon further investigation I noticed ~1/2 qt of oil that seems to have come from either the headgasket or rear main.

The car runs fine, doesn't overheat and never leaked from these areas before. The smoke itself was from the oil burning off on the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Is it possible the change in pressure could've pushed some seals over the edge, or is this just an old fashioned case of user error?
thesilverbrickpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
2manyturbos

I have had more than 0ne redblock engine push a seal out. Since it is burning off the exhaust manifold your cam seal likely pushed out. A customer of mine had that happen. Her car's PCV box was almost completely plugged when it happened.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverbrickpdx View Post
Howdy y'all

Over the weekend I finally got around to replacing the PCV system on my 91 wagon. The engine has over 300k on it, and was suffering horribly from overpressure. That said on my first test run around the block post install I noticed a huge cloud of smoke, which upon further investigation I noticed ~1/2 qt of oil that seems to have come from either the headgasket or rear main.

The car runs fine, doesn't overheat and never leaked from these areas before. The smoke itself was from the oil burning off on the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Is it possible the change in pressure could've pushed some seals over the edge, or is this just an old fashioned case of user error?
What exactly did you replace? You replaced the breather box, pcv tube that goes from base of breather box into oil pan, flame trap?
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

If you don't spend time making sure the oil drain hose in the engine block is clear. You may still be developing excess crank pressure. The most likely seal being pushed out is the cam plug at the back of the head.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
thesilverbrickpdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
I have had more than 0ne redblock engine push a seal out. Since it is burning off the exhaust manifold your cam seal likely pushed out. A customer of mine had that happen. Her car's PCV box was almost completely plugged when it happened.
That makes sense, I did notice some oil on the valve cover.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
thesilverbrickpdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
What exactly did you replace? You replaced the breather box, pcv tube that goes from base of breather box into oil pan, flame trap?
Everything except the drain into the block got replaced. The original system was entirely clogged.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
thesilverbrickpdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
If you don't spend time making sure the oil drain hose in the engine block is clear. You may still be developing excess crank pressure. The most likely seal being pushed out is the cam plug at the back of the head.
That makes sense, I just found the post you made on modding the hose and might give it a shot.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Cool, hope that helps you out. Mine was completely clogged so the mod has worked out well. A friend of mine came up with a long wire brush that he uses to clean the drain hose. I haven't tried it on my car but it worked great on his. Busted right though all the crud and his system now passes the glove test.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote