home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
turbochimp
Board Member

Default How much can b230 deck be milled?

I'm getting a b230f rebuilt for a +t. I am going to replace pistons with o/s mahle turbo pistons. I would like to shave a little to get some compression back closer to 9:1. The MS isnt really excited about shaving the head and so are asking how much can come off the block. Is there a spec for this? I suppose the limit would be the final squish clearance? Are there any other considerations?

I'm trying to keep this build budget somewhat modest - Would it make sense to just ask for zero deck to get squish sorta close and avoid the putz/labor of figuring out squish to the nearest couple tho? I will be using china rods and ipd turbo cam.

First time working with a MS - any feedback appreciated - Thanks!

**oops maybe this should be in performance
turbochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

.010” off the block is about as much as you’d want to go with a stock HG. Squish should be about .035”-.030”
The head can be machined over .100” without any issues, FYI. Tell your MS to not be worried.

I’d recommend a .036” comedic HG and enough off the head to bring your CR into the range you want.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Mahle turbo pistons will stick up, mine were up .010".
Using them with a Cometic .036 gasket will put the pistons too close.
My motor someone cut the flat part of the piston so it did not stick up too high but the pistons would rock at idle and rattle.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
JohnLane
Board Member

If you haven't already purchased heavy as hell stock pistons do your engine a real favor and fit a set of H-Beam rods and modern forged pistons for a compression height at least from the 1980's. A longer rod does good things for it too.
Reduced reciprocating weight and a lot more strength. Guys here on the board offer them. Do it once right for far and away best results.

Last edited by JohnLane; 10-13-2019 at 10:27 AM..
JohnLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
gottarollwithit
Cooks with motor oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
If you haven't already purchased heavy as hell stock pistons do your engine a real favor and fit a set of H-Beam rods and modern forged pistons for a compression height at least from the 1980's.
Reduced reciprocating weight and a lot more strength. Guys here on the board offer them. Do it once right for far and away best results.
Agreed. This plus a good balance job on the reciprocating assembly. Really makes the motor a lot smoother and less buzzy. I remember going from stock b230ft to H beams and Wiseco pistons from RSI. Was like going from farm sounding motor, to more modern street motor. Definitely not cheap though, but if you're gonna go through the effort of dropping in a motor, might as well do it right.