• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Volvo radio service

xmlhack

I have a vintage Volvo radio i want to get serviced. it was made by Blaupunkt for Volvo. Im looking for an electronics guru that can check it out, take it apart, clean it, and repair it. The tuning belt needs to be replaced. And there may be something wrong with the fm section (tunes in AM but not in FM). It could be my crappy test bench. Anybody know an electronics tech?

Why bother?

It's the worst radio Blaupunkt ever made, so bad they wouldn't put their name on it, so they put Volvo's on it instead.

Leave it there for the vintage 'look' and put a real radio hanging up high in the glove box.

Why bother?

It's the worst radio Blaupunkt ever made, so bad they wouldn't put their name on it, so they put Volvo's on it instead.

Leave it there for the vintage 'look' and put a real radio hanging up high in the glove box.

This one says ?Volvo by Blaupunkt? on the front glass. I had an offer for $200 on ebay, but i messed up and the offer expired. Im thinking theres some purist out there that doesnt do tb but wants that radio

Gotcha. I have a vintage audio repair guy near me, he has restored my 1971 Kenwood home amp but I never asked about 12V stuff.

This one says “Volvo by Blaupunkt” on the front glass. I had an offer for $200 on ebay, but i messed up and the offer expired. Im thinking theres some purist out there that doesnt do tb but wants that radio

It might pull in some AM when it's sunny and possibly some FM when it's cloudy / raining, but other than that not much.

I'd sell it as is and :run: like hell.

Weird, my V50 gets no channels here, but the old ass stereo I have for sale got a bunch of them with no antenna attached. Much stronger tuner I guess

I dont want my radio i just want to get it serviced and sell it

I do know of one old school tech, but I suspect $100.00 and upwards, after S&H.

If a capacitor(s) have made a mess, radio may be history. Look around your local area...and ask.

...found my exact radio....

To my awareness, Blaupunkt has had good products...but solid state electronics, like tube radios, had limitations in those days.

I'm quite busy for next two weeks, but next time I visit with an old school tech, I'll ask a few questions. I know two of them, and one does car radios, where the other one does TVs in the same shop. The one that does radios has taught electronics at a local Vo-Tech school.

To my awareness, Blaupunkt has had good products...but solid state electronics, like tube radios, had limitations in those days.

I'm quite busy for next two weeks, but next time I visit with an old school tech, I'll ask a few questions. I know two of them, and one does car radios, where the other one does TVs in the same shop. The one that does radios has taught electronics at a local Vo-Tech school.

Yeah, i dont think theres tubes in this :lol:

I would think any electronics tech with a little experience and some desire could probably work on this. Heck, i think i even qualify. My problem is time

Back