• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the most safe power you can get out of a B23A?

VolvoLatAm

I have a 1982 carbureted 244GL with a B23A. Not doing any power mods any time soon. I know the B230A had a different crank and rods...

so 300hp with forced induction and fuel system?

I'm not sure if the b23 had the M rods or not, but if I recall correctly it did. That motor will be stronger than any b230 up until around 89-90 when they went to the 13mm rods. And even then, the M rods are stronger.

300 hp is definitely doable on a stock bottom end b23 as long as it doesn't detonate. (this is assuming it has M rods)

Crank forged? I doubt that. The only b23 with forged crank is 84 B23FT came in 760 turbo the one I got. Also has forged pistons. I got it in my shop on a stand. Just don't over rev it with those heavy rods. Above stock limiter. I did and number three rod bearing started to knock.. Might have been a lean tune also and don't forget number three runs lean with the stock LH intake.

But as stated only way to make a bunch more power is add a turbo and I'd go with the later bosch LH 2.2 or 2.4 injection. Stock maybe junkyard stuff if you got any up there.

Other then that you could add a better cam and exhaust and get some more power NA that way. Being Canadian it might have a nice cam in it as is. Might have higher compression then the US cars also.

Last edited:
You may run into a problem if there isn't a return line to the fuel tank, you might have to source an EFI sending unit/fuel pump assembly and run a return line from the engine bay.

I'm always right.

iu

don't wanna stress internals or cause any micro fractures

Then change the internals.

Back