• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 High Pitch Squeal/Whistle at Speed, Possible Causes?

dandeluca

I have a 91 240 that has been M46 swapped that has developed a high pitch squeal/whistle that seems to start around 60mph. It is speed dependent, not engine RPM dependent. It's varies in loudness and sometimes seems to almost disappear. Because of its high pitch nature its pretty hard to pinpoint a location but I feel like its coming from the front of the car, but don't hold me to that. It will happen in both 4th gear and overdrive.

I originally thought it was a wind noise, but I'm increasing thinking something mechanical.

My thoughts are wheel bearings or maybe the driveshaft bearing.

Is there anything else I should look out for? I appreciate any ideas.

^^ That is the most likely source of the sound. They sometimes sound like a siren. Get the car up to a speed past where the you hear the noise and pop it in to neutral and let the engine drop to idle. Listed closely as the car decelerates. It should help you pinpoint the location of the noise you are hearing.

Yeah I originally replaced the carrier bearing during the manual swap, then I had to use a different drive shaft and ended up not replacing the bearing on that one.

Lazy Mistake.

Back