• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shortening 940 struts

lee4391

Hi,

I wanna fit 200 shocks to my 940 and would like to shorten the strut tubes.

If I cut 20mm from the strut tube will I need to extend the gland nut thread internally or will there still be enough to safely secure the shock?

If the internal thread needs extending what size is the thread? Iirc m42 comes to mind but I'm unsure of pitch.

Any Info would be great.

Lee

Just cut out 20mm in the middle and not from the end ? ;)

BTW: Saab 900 shocks would fit also.. but thats a tight one..

The you have to weld them back up again which I don't have the facilities for.

I will however more than likely, be able to get the correct size tap to recut or extend a thread if necessary.

Right you are. But I'm not too keen to disassemble my strut Assembly to find out, if someone knows already.

drop a section of pipe in the bottom of the strut housing so that the sits snug up to the gland nut.

how low do you intend to run this car that you want to shorten the strut housing?

I could do that, but I'm 95% sure that I'd have access to the correct tap if I knew the size. And more travel is always an advantage.

Not excessively low. So I can chop 2 1/2 coils off the front springs without them unseating.

I kinda figured that would be the answer. Put together a coilover setup if you're going to want to be that low.

Also remember if you shorten the strut below the spring perch that translates into a lower ride height with more spring travel. That's another plus for the cut/weld method.

I honestly don't think there's enough tube above the spring perch to remove and tap for the shortened insert.

That is something i didn't take into account!

I was a bit overzealous when cutting the rear springs so it has reverse rake atm, and i've just fitted some 17s and another half coil off the front would have it sitting very pretty. But as you mentioned shortening the shock may not be as easy as i thought.

I may just dissemble one side to get all the measurements i need and see if its do able, if not i'll just get another set of rear springs and be a bit more sparing with the angle grinder. Or as you say use some form of spacer under the 200 shock.

I'd like to do a coilover set up, but i don't have the money to pay for decent quality parts for it at the moment.

If your buying new inserts anyway then coilover sleeves and a pair of springs will only set you back approx ?100.
They can be purchased from some of the old school ford rally suppliers.

Frontend sorted and you'll only be doing it once :)

Ben is there anyone in the EU that sells your products?

As Importing stuff means we get stung for import tax!

I'm sure i saw a swedish company listing some of your products...

Yea, LMR is our swedish distributor.

Mikael can get you anything from our site even if its not listed on his.

Last edited:
Back