home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #51
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

The GAZ coilovers and dampers I do all come with dyno printouts. I still have the very first pair of dampers that I had made to test before selling them. They have no done over 100,000 miles. They do look a bit crappy after the 8years they have been on and the all your round use including the huge amount of slat put on our roads. Even with all of that they are still working as good as the day they were fitted. That same car had blown a couple of sets of bilsteins and a set of spax dampers.

Cant help on the quality of the BC stuff as I've no first hand of them

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #52
chopperead
Board Member

Hi Classic Swede.

So your Gaz front coilover strut is it a complete unit ready to be fitted ?
Can i use a camber plate with them ?

What can i then do with the rear i currently have lowering springs 30 or 40mm and adjustable dampers bilsteins i think it was about 5 years ago when i fitted them but i havent done hardly any miles on them so there still good. Will my current damper be ok with cutting 1 or 2 coils of the rear spring ?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #53
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Yes complete unit ready to fit. Idealy you want to use them with a camber plate.

Rear end will depend on how long the springs are to how much you can trim them down. You need to make sure once cut that the springs stay located, normally you can get away with a couple of coils. f you want to go more you will need to make some kind of clamp to hold them into the bottom arm
Old 10-20-2015, 01:57 AM   #54
chopperead
Board Member

OK brilliant.

Rear end not sure of current length but i am currently using cable ties to keep them in at the minute because i was sick of guiding them in every time i jacked the car up. How does your spring perch thing work do you need certain springs to use with them or will my springs work ?

Any recommendations on where to get camber plates ?
chopperead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #55
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

you need to change the rear springs to work with the adjustable perches. Are you happy with the stiffness of what you have? You could just go with the 50 or 70mm rear springs and either clamp them or use a short damper.

Camber plates I should have a basic version available in a couple of weeks or you could go with the nice fancy ones Ben makes
Old 10-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #56
chopperead
Board Member

Yes pretty happy with stiffness.

Do you sell shorter rear shocks swell I couldn't see them.

Will your camber plate also allow caster adjustment ?

I'm in no rush so would be interested in seeing what you do.

Appreciate your help.
chopperead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #57
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member

Personally, I can't help but think of all the people here (and elsewhere) wanting high-dollar suspension parts, while buying cheap-ass tires. I've seen way more of this than I can possibly explain.
PNW940Pwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #58
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

For the dampers just select length in the drop down http://www.classicswede.co.uk/Adjust..._13465137.aspx

Camber plates are only basic type with only camber adjustement but you could alter them to give some caster.

PNW, fully agree with you. The Tyres are what makes contact with the road and good tyres will be one of the biggest improvements you can make to grip levels
Old 10-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #59
thebornotaku
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW940Pwnage View Post
Personally, I can't help but think of all the people here (and elsewhere) wanting high-dollar suspension parts, while buying cheap-ass tires. I've seen way more of this than I can possibly explain.
because tires are a wear item and suspension components, by comparison, are not.

My coilovers in my VW can and actually have outlasted my tires.

You'll also probably notice that people who don't actually race their car typically only get fancy suspension stuff to show off, and run one set of daily driver tires.

whereas the guys who go racin' usually have multiple sets of wheels and tires and swap them out as needed. No sense in running your fancy expensive 140 treadwear tires on the street, nor is there sense running your all seasons on the track.