• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

945 coil overs rear ?

beachcomber550

I have a live axle 940 Turbo Estate and I'm just starting out on modding it.

Question - has anybody fitted coil over shox on the rear end? And if so any problems / tweaks?

The reason ? My pal runs a business manufacturing replica C and D Type Jags and uses top quality alloy bodied coil overs. With my "mates rates" discount I can get a quality item for less than the cost of aftermarket 40mm lower springs and stock shox !

You will have to weld on the axle and/or have to fab an adapter to mount it to the body. I think tese are too short,..

What about the existing shock eye mounts ???? That is place the coil over where the shock is.

Length not a problem - I can specify any length, mounts, etc. IOW - custom made to suit.

Whereabouts in Lower Saxony ? My place is in Reichenau 40kms North of Dresden.

The 'swedes' use Gaz 'universal' coilover shocks in the stock shock location. From what i've seen a custom stud is made for the top and then bolted into the control arm as expected.

However it does mean that you may not have too much shock travel depending on ride height. If you know someone who can fabricate it may be better to have some mounts fabbed up so you can use a longer coilover for extra travel.

This is a 200 but the principles the same
36.jpg

LEE, THANX FOR THE HEADSUP AND PIX.

Travel is not a problem with the RAMSHOX as I can specify body length, spring, etc. to suit.

I'm thinking travel is restricted with a lowered car anyway, 4" - 5" ?

BTW - is that a GAZ shock pictured ?

If you put coilover in place of the dampers on a 240 then the bolt is prone to bending and causing the mounting point to fracture. Probably less of an issue on the 900 but that has issues of its own attempting to do it that way.

The photo posted by lee is of a GAZ unit like what I stock

If you put coilover in place of the dampers on a 240 then the bolt is prone to bending and causing the mounting point to fracture. Probably less of an issue on the 900 but that has issues of its own attempting to do it that way.

What kind of issues?

I've used GAZ products in the past - good kit.

In over 45 years of special / race car design and manufacture we've never had an issue with a design / material fault - suspension or otherwise. That includes a one make race series for our RAM Cobra replicas [ all using RAMSHOX].

Like Mad Dog, I'd be intrigued to hear of your concerns with the "issues of it's own" 900 series application ? Naturally your superior knowledge of Volvos would be welcome in addressing this issue. I'm new to Volvos - so would appreciate your input.

Re: the GAZ coilover you stock - can I assume that you don't recommend them for this application ? We've already had a cursorary look at the idea, and can't immediately see an area where our RAMSHOX wouldn't be up to the job [ as the GAZ quite frankly ]. As for bolts / fixings - just a case of selecting the correct grade. As the bolts are in double shear - I suspect they would break before bending.

However, I appreciate your feedback and when we look at this idea properly - we'll certainly take your concerns into consideration. Some sort of local reinforcement may well be the answer. I'll be the test pilot, so you can be sure I'll want to get it right !

As always - all feedback appreciated.:cool:

JIC anyone assumes I'm just blowing smoke - here are just a few of our designs / products -

25 identical RAM Cobras in the one make RAM / Bardahl Trophy - a 3 season series held in France.

One Heavy Duty application - my C Type replica designed with Blown Jag V8 replacing the standard straight 6.

Not just 4 wheel suspension design. Here's my BMW Oilhead reverse Trike design with inboard pushrod suspension.

What kind of issues?

Nothing major to overcome but the damper goes up into the chassis. You would need an upside down mounting so that the spring would clear. You could otherwise go for a long section at the top to bring the top spring seat down but that will reduce the travel available. Without going to one an measuring I don't know how far down it would need to come

Nothing major to overcome but the damper goes up into the chassis. You would need an upside down mounting so that the spring would clear. You could otherwise go for a long section at the top to bring the top spring seat down but that will reduce the travel available. Without going to one an measuring I don't know how far down it would need to come

Check out the extended top mount in the previous pix - these are made by Realm in a variety of lengths to suit applications. However, the RAMSHOX can be mounted USD or normal orientation from the box.

That said, USD might make the dampening adjuster knob hard to get at - even though it's a simple finger adjustment.

Realm do the bodies in a variety of lengths - and that is what sets the available travel.

Swede, let me have the measurements of a stock unit, and that will give me the nod as to how much travel can be accomodated - 4" minimum on even the 325mm centres units.

Rule of thumb - for every 10mm extra length 5mm of additional travel.

As soon as the weather breaks, I'll crawl under my 945 and have a good look around !

Back