home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
xDread92x
Board Member

Default Weird Transmission Leak

I noticed continual minor seeping of tranny fluid through this area while car is running.

I thought it was coming from the front of the transmission pan but after tightening and watching it closely it looks like fluid is making its way through this "seam"

Can anyone tell me what this could be? Transmission lines from bracket arent leaking and there is no fluid coming from bellhousing or the vents on the bottom of the tranny.

I have never seen anything like this before, I circled the area in red above the transmission pan.

https://ibb.co/LvCCY0K
xDread92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
hessam69
Board Member

How tight did you tighten the pan bolts? If you tighten them too much, it will leak. The torque for those bolts is 5Nm
hessam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
xDread92x
Board Member

I tightened them down pretty tight possibly more than necessary but I had to keep tightening them down and fluid stopped passing the gasket.

I checked the front of the gasket and didnt feel or see any fluid coming through. It just seems like fluid is coming through that seam

If thats not common then it could very well be coming through the top of the bolt holes? I can loosen and retry the spec but it just seems alittle low.

I guess with these old pans it really doesnt help tightening it on clean isnt enough. I know some people use rtv sealant or silicone on the pan bolts to disallow fluid from passing through

Last edited by xDread92x; 12-01-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
hessam69
Board Member

You might need to do the job again because you may have comprimised the gasket.

What seems like a correct torque setting for an M6 bolt on a cork pan gasket to you? I could be wrong though, you might have a cracked case right above the pan. Either way you'll need to take the pan off to find out.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
xDread92x
Board Member

I see what you mean. With the case being cracked you would hear it doing so while tightening? Strong steel i feel like the bolt would break off in the housing case before allowing the top of the transmission case to crack. Is that usual for the top of the case to do so?

I guess its possible the gasket got compromised?

Last edited by xDread92x; 12-01-2020 at 08:49 PM..
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 AM   #6
hessam69
Board Member

No, I was talking about the case cracking due to the car driving over something putting extreme force on the pan thereby cracking the case. Sometimes cracks form due to stress but it is unusual to find cracked AW70's
Old 12-02-2020, 02:54 AM   #7
xDread92x
Board Member

Oh okay.

The only possible explanation I have is that the pan gasket is compromised and tossing fluid up in that area. As I watched it, it looked like fluid was coming from the metal seam but I guess thats not a leak area.

Figured it could be bellhousing where meets tranny or something. I dont know. But when you’re down there on your back its hard to get a top view to see whats going on. Its more than likely the gasket I am just not able to catch the fluid making its way up there and seeing it myself.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
xDread92x
Board Member

If anyone can tell me if that is a possible leak area it would help greatly. I know the bellhousing attaches to the transmission and thats what the "seam" is there. Is it a bellhousing gasket that could be the culprit? Is it something internal in the transmission that would be leaking? I am hoping it is just the pan gasket but if its not I may be dealing with a bigger issue.

Anybody?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
hiperfauto
The Librarian

There's a large o-ring between the bell housing and trans case. It's #7a in this pic. The part number is 6814812.

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
xDread92x
Board Member

Okay yea that seems like the likely culprit. I wonder why its gone bad? Doesn't seem like a common failure on these cars.