• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Irs nivomat conversion

Wesdunns70t5m

Hey there everyone, hope y'all are surviving the 'rona virus! Anyway, I've got a (silly?) Question. So I've got 2 1990 760s, one wagon with live axle and the other is a sedan with irs and the dreaded nivomats!

Since day one, I've been wanting to convert the sedan to live axle, but that's a bear of a job. In the meantime however, I was wondering if I could use the rear struts from the wagon to convert the IRS car to non-nivomats. I've researched how to do this conversion and it doesn't seem hard at all, but I'm not sure if what I've read only applies to live axle nivos, or the IRS cars as well. Also, what is everyone doing for springs in the IRS non nivo converted cars? Thanks in advanced and stay safe everyone!

I'm not an expert on those IRS cars, but I will tell you that a buddy bought the IPD Nivomat deletion conversion kit and was very disappointed. He ended up buying shocks/springs from Kaplenke Racing and was happy with their offerings.

I used Toyota sienna springs and shocks from Rock Auto on my 780. I had to fabricate a little bar out of 1/4" plate that went across the bottom spring mount to hold the "top" of the shock, which is now the bottom.

I dislike the Nivomats on my 760 IRS, just before my daughter was born, I bought new replacements from FCP for those trips to the hospital- ride was very soft and my wife was comfortable, later on (12 years) I still have the same Nivomats but I like better my live axle 760 Wagon with IPD sway bars and spacers, the only time the IRS with Nivomats feels better is at highway speeds 70-100mph- the rear end sticks to the road versus bouncing from the live axle, but when it comes to cornering and exit ramps...I really hate them. So few years back was able to obtain a low mileage S90 with a Front end collision, which I bought for the new interior, and noticed the rear sub frame will match the mounting points of the 760 IRS. As you know this is the fiber-reinforced plastic transverse leaf spring IRS found on Corvette and also the new XC90- on the S90 comes with anti-roll bar and with upgraded shocks, should be a good performer( you have to transfer the differential as gear ratio is different) and you could get it cheap from a u pull scrap yard, bring an electric impact wrench and a helper, I can send you pictures of mine( have not installed yet)

I've not heard great things about ipds conversion kit, so my mind's been made up against that.

I'll have to research the Toyota sienna option and see how to spring rate and height and shocks match up to what I've got. Are you saying you mounted the shocks upside down??

Dialex, that is an option I didn't know about, but if I were to go through all that work I'd probably just swap out the rear subframe and axle from my live axle wagon. It's already got chopped springs (tb style yet?) Ipd panhard, 19mm anti roll bar, and a modified g80

I've not heard great things about ipds conversion kit, so my mind's been made up against that.

I'll have to research the Toyota sienna option and see how to spring rate and height and shocks match up to what I've got. Are you saying you mounted the shocks upside down??

Dialex, that is an option I didn't know about, but if I were to go through all that work I'd probably just swap out the rear subframe and axle from my live axle wagon. It's already got chopped springs (tb style yet?) Ipd panhard, 19mm anti roll bar, and a modified g80

Yes, I assume they're upside down, the rod with the nut goes down, the big hole with the rubber bushing goes up.
Actually it's a Toyota Previa not Sienna sorry. https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/1133699/940/960/980/V90/S90/ipd_nivomat_conversion_nivamat_irs_92_960.html

I bought the anti-nivo billy HDs from IPD and used springs from Speedway ($99/pair). If I were to do it again I would make my own adapters for the bottom of the shocks and pay much less.

I still have my old set if you want them. You could at least pull the metal adapters from the shock and use them on whatever you decide to get. Send me a PM if you're interested

Back