• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71L Output Shaft Seal?

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
I'm pulling motor & trans on my 92 740t. While I'm resealing things, I was inclined to replace output shaft seal.

It's not leaking, nor does it have bushing play. But it's a good bit easier to do now, than later.

Is it as easy as knocking the driveshaft flange off, pulling seal and driving new unit in?

If it is an AW-71L it has a roller bearing output shaft and likely will never leak from the seal. Either way, the seal is an easy job if that is all that needs to be done.

I seem to have been wrong and DON'T have a AW71L. I have a AW71, in my 92 Turbo 740

Going to do the seal. Looks like it's the same seal as the '82 Toyota Cressida, so I'll get one from Toyota, because Volvo doesn't really want to sell us many parts anymore.

Does the drive shaft flange have a bolt attaching it to the output shaft or a nut? Bolt = plain bushing output shaft. Nut = roller bearing output shaft. I think the seal size is different between the 2 versions.

Does the drive shaft flange have a bolt attaching it to the output shaft or a nut? Bolt = plain bushing output shaft. Nut = roller bearing output shaft. I think the seal size is different between the 2 versions.

Its a nut

To the best of my knowledge, it's the original transmission from my 1992 740 Turbo Wagon

You can still get a Volvo output seal. I ordered some last year. I'd have to look up the part number.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Sealing-ring/1102203/235728.html

Thanks for that. I've been calling the local Volvo dealer, and one in Bay Area, CA. The attitude on the phone seems to be "we're just too lazy to look that far back"

I ended up ordering a Genuine Toyota transmission filter, because the Volvo people didn't want to help, and I'll likely use Toyota ATF.

In an effort to crack the nut off the flange, can I just rely on the Park Pin to hold the shaft, or do I really need the special tool.

If the park pin can hold the weight of the car on a hill, I don't yet see why it won't withstand the torque of loosening/tightening

1992 appears to be a transition year. My 1992 also has the roller bearing. Not all 92s have it. By 93 all AW-70/71 and the AW-71L have a roller bearing tail shaft.

I hope I ordered the correct seal

At this juncture, I'm not even confident I've identified a roller vs bushing type

You said your AW-71 has a nut holding the output flange to the shaft, that equates to a roller bearing tail shaft.

Okie dokie, i was still a little gray before, and this is the first time I am working on a Volvo and keeping it automatic.....new territory for me.

If I ordered the "above" seal that was referenced, did I order the wrong one?

Seems like there are a considerable number of riddles with AW series transmissions.

It's hard to tell whether you ordered the correct seal. If 1992 or 93 is entered as the year of your 940 it says it is the correct seal. If 1994-95 is entered it says it is not the correct seal. The transmission was the same from 1993-95 here in the US. So, I think their system has been loaded with incorrect data. IOW, you probably ordered the wrong seal even though the system says it is correct.

It's hard to tell whether you ordered the correct seal. If 1992 or 93 is entered as the year of your 940 it says it is the correct seal. If 1994-95 is entered it says it is not the correct seal. The transmission was the same from 1993-95 here in the US. So, I think their system has been loaded with incorrect data. IOW, you probably ordered the wrong seal even though the system says it is correct.

greaaaaaat. well I got it on Amazon, so might have a chance of easily getting money back

Wow Rock Auto is also no help. They show two SKF seals for a 1994 940 Turbo. And when you look at what each fits, it pretty well lists every RWD volvo since the mid 60's.

I guess we will see what shows up and go from there.

In the mean time, maybe this helps you help me...

AL9nZEXquc7K-TPBRm7sRcoOeivJk6icSV1PC9fPn2vp3Ab2n6Qwixlid8ImZmZn35eTzf-rOW90GO2McMlX6MutmcO5Da-OeBllxf2sjYxCajUgA5r35d08Ya9UVinJdjGMPQrvuJlZ-AgzfKS3gEpLRHZ6vQ=w898-h673-no

AL9nZEU8L5Fe4LOxisSrxSDdeV16H7BYt0PEQRgbW2Joqk-sLmgLJh1rShYtR_GRMLrzQTF5b3rSuU7HJ4xKyKXTF6p8RRUrICiZuPZprnsKgn8NuwbDy9KV-OhG5DvlIDz4RLl8VUMNj9jKDEbAp6bRD3rBoA=w898-h673-no

Yeah, that's the early seal for housings with a bushing. You need a 3549226 which comes up as discontinued from Volvo even though there's over 100 of them in the warehouse in Sweden. Sometimes the dealer can still order the part so you might give them a call and see what they say.

FCP sells a Corteco seal for a good price.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-at-rear-seal-240-740-940-960-s90-v90-3549226

The SKF seal from RA might work. When I plugged in the Volvo part number this National seal came up.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,710719,main+/+output+shaft+seal,8792

Yeah, that's the early seal for housings with a bushing. You need a 3549226 which comes up as discontinued from Volvo even though there's over 100 of them in the warehouse in Sweden. Sometimes the dealer can still order the part so you might give them a call and see what they say.

FCP sells a Corteco seal for a good price.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-at-rear-seal-240-740-940-960-s90-v90-3549226

The SKF seal from RA might work. When I plugged in the Volvo part number this National seal came up.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,710719,main+/+output+shaft+seal,8792

Thanks, the part number is essential.

I really don't want anything but Genuine Volvo on this project. Yeah, I know "they don't even make their own seals" but I want what I want.

Back