• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

redblock octane and ping

esmth

The member
I'd like to know about peoples experiences with knock/ping/detonation, mods, and octane with redblocks.
I read some people have no problems running 87 octane but I seem to not be able to as mine wants to rattle to pieces. I can hear heavy knock from in the cabin over my exhaust at high load and wide open throttle with low octane fuel. I also have a det-can setup using a knock sensor bolted to the engine wired to a cheap headphone amplifier with a pair of ear buds, so I can hear the light ping as well. Here's a pic of it. The knock sensor plugs into the black port, the "3D sound" usb dongle is to record what I hear in the headphones on my laptop.

I am running a stock ignition ezk mapping, and mostly stock LH fuel, just lowered the open loop threshold to target 0.88 lambda / 13 afr across the board at high load and wot in an attempt to reduce the ping, which did seem to help a bit vs running it at stoic. I have also verified that the ezk does in fact pull timing when I hear this ping, most of the time. It goes ham pulling timing with 87 in the tank. Here is the target ignition map for reference, it doesn't seem agressive.
2022-03-11-120747_833x263_scrot.png

If I pull a ton of timing from the bottom ~3 rows the pinging will stop with 87 octane. It needs quite a bit removed:
2022-03-11-135735_834x272_scrot.png

I recorded a 4 minute clip of the last miles of my commute home last night through the det cans. I was running a half tank of 93 octane and half 87 octane. So somewhere around 90 octane? I would think that would be enough for my stockish setup. You can hear ping at timestamps 0:06 0:24 0:44 1:00 1:10 1:24 1:36 1:47 2:04 2:23 2:51. I let off the throttle when I heard it, but if I held it in it will rattle consistently until the ezk pulls it. You can also hear the power steering pump at 3:01 3:19 and 3:25, some reverse gear crunch at 3:07, reverse gear whine at 3:10. The main tappy noise you hear throughout is directly proportional to engine rpm.
<audio controls>
<source src="https://esmth.com/f/220311/n16.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">
Your browser does not support the audio element.
</audio>

My engine setup is mostly stock. Stock head, head gasket, stock manifolds, but with LH3.1, wasted spark, a B cam, and 2.25" headerpipe to a race cat to 2.5" catback.

Can any of you run 87 in your redblock?

Dude I have real 9.8:1 with a V cam and I run Shell 87 with no problems. I'm not sure if Cam outfit me with a daughterboard in my EZ116K or not. If yes, it's got the race car tune, if no, it's a stock -169. All my stuff is stock aside from the head mill and the cam. What kind of valve lash are you running? I'd think that with the longer duration on the B that your application would be numb as a fart with regard to detonation sensitivity.

I didn't mean to imply they cant run 87 I was just wondering any reason why i wouldn't be able to. i would also think the B would make it more knock resistant like you said. I'll have to re check my lash once I get my shim kit back I borrowed to another local

I checked my notes and I did the valves May 9th 2021 and the clearances were in mm, 0.35 0.36 0.36 0.35 0.35 0.35 0.34 0.35. So on the tighter end. I still will check again but probably will not be able to this weekend

I didn't mean to imply they cant run 87 I was just wondering any reason why i wouldn't be able to. i would also think the B would make it more knock resistant like you said. I'll have to re check my lash once I get my shim kit back I borrowed to another local

Didn't you say it detonated on 87? I understand that it still functions as an internal combustion engine on it, just not well at higher cylinder pressures.

I was also wondering about your TPS, have you checked it for proper voltage sweep so that the LH knows you're leaning into it?

To be honest, mine detonated on 91 big time over about 10psi, to a point I had to run booster or E85, never figured out why. Different engine configurations didn't seem to matter, brand of fuel helped to some degree, but only a minimal amount. I've got single digits for timing on the top load rows, and that's with a 3" MAF as well, which just hits into that row at full boogie. The new motor is better than the last one, slightly lower SCR, but it still picks up a little detonation and pulls timing. I've also been fighting EZK doing whatever it wants, with the limited control I have over it.

That said, just preventing the stupid mistakes...have you filled that map into all 4 sections of the bin? I don't know how many times I tuned in 1 but didn't fill the other 3.

Run 93 octane and live a happy life. Run e85 and it?ll never ping until it spins a rod bearing.

Id have to pull my original owners manual out and look but im almost 100% sure volvo recommended 91 or better from the factory.

I've never had an issue with 89 in a normally aspirated B230. Running 87 seems like abuse, it really isn't hardly any more money if you work it out mathematically. I run 93 in my turbo cars, that is a lot more at the moment. Just paid $5.15999 per gallon :-(

Hi

Your timing in the red area is where it pings with a small "stock" turbocharger, a reduction of 5-10 degrees is needed to play safe.
Your timing in the blue area seems too high and your economy may be hurting from this.
Other option is lower your compression, a B230 is very happy below 8:1 on high boost.

YS
Jaybee

Attachments

• timing.jpg
    timing.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 194
On LH2.4 you can't adjust the timing externally, only via software.

JB...yeah, that's where I've had to pull a good bit of timing as well. I have NO idea how the hell they got by with maps that hot and **** gas we have here.

On LH2.4 you can't adjust the timing externally, only via software.

JB...yeah, that's where I've had to pull a good bit of timing as well. I have NO idea how the hell they got by with maps that hot and **** gas we have here.

My experience is that under completely stock settings those cars would ping from the factory.

Those ignition maps I posted are for a naturally aspirated b230f if it wasn't clear. The top one is a factory map.

Over the weekend I verified both cam and ignition timing. I'm running the KL underdrive pulley so it didn't slip. (I hope, lol) The tdc mark I scratched into it was still right on the money with a piston stop. I replaced my crusty Bosch W7DSR plugs with NGK BPR7ES. Need to burn the rest of my tank of 93 off to try some 87 again. Also wanted to experiment with octane booster, just to see if it does anything.

I think i'm seeing aluminum specs but idk, only a couple.

Did anyone play the embedded sound file? (Can you even see it?)

Is the cam timing correct?
I had a LH3.1 car that pinged a lot due the cam being off a tooth.
If everything is correct, I’d start to look at what sensors could be sending bad info to the ecu, and how that would impact timing/fueling.

I get slight ping on my mostly stock NA b230 auto, running Cali 87. I just have a T-Cam, but 29" tires and it will ping when I take off hard right around 3k RPM nothing crazy, but its there. This is on California gas, which I feel is watered down or something

The audio file worked fine for me. The pinging is surprisingly easy to hear with your setup - where did you get it? Once I have some spare time, I want to open your mp3 in audacity (now at audacityteam.org), enable the spectrogram view, and see what the pinging sections look like.

I'm not familiar with LH3.1, does it use the same EZK boxes as LH2.4, or are there different versions for 3.1?

-Bob

Thx for trying the file. My listening setup is a spare stock ez116k wideband knock sensor bolted to the distributor hold down bolt which is wired to the input of a cheap NE5532 based headphone amplifier. (Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184208439428) I modified it by adding a rc high pass filter with cut off of 4.5khz before the amp input. idk what is optimal for filtering though, that was just an attempt to make it clearer, which did help. Then just headphones (or PC microphone in) from the amp output. I also powered the amplifier using 2 18650 batteries as the car 12v was way too noisy. I haven't tried analyzing the file yet. I recorded it in .wav format originally as I think it is lossless.

Like redblockpowered said the LH31 ezk is the exact same as paired with some LH24, in my case the common 169 box. Also i'm not sure how known it is but LH3.1 is pretty close to the same thing as 5xx LH2.4. The pcb of the ecus are the same with some swapped bridges/resistors.

Thanks, I didn't realize that it would be so easy, and especially that the distributor hold down is a good enough location for a 2nd knock sensor -- I was expecting that the sensor needed to be on the iron near the top of cylinder to work well.

I see on ebay that there are cheap rechargeable headphone amps available link - do you know if these would work instead of your NE5532 board?

I have a couple links to old knock threads on the MS forum, but haven't looked at them for ~5 years: link1 link2
In one of them, Boris740 (sometimes on here and maker of knocksense) said the ping frequency is:
f(KHz)=573/bore dia in mm. Similar formula appears in chapter 2.6 of this paper http://www.fs.isy.liu.se/Publications/MSc/03_EX_3497_KS.pdf

So your 4.5KHz is pretty good (a little lower might be better with a simple RC filter).

Back