home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #26
122power
dude

Ahh thats right. Yes just did track day Friday. Did the race last year solo, would have been there but co driver plans changed so just did the track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #27
rb92673
Board Member

We raced 24 Hours of Lemons Sonoma in December. We originally planned for a three man team, but our third was not able to attend and our backup was sick from a booster shot. So my teammate Rick and I decided to two man it.

Before the race we upgraded to a full BNE suspension. Race Konis, Eibachs, shortened struts, and quick steer roll correctors. Cut and hammered the hell out of the front wheel wells, but I was still concerned about rubbing.

Day 1 we were a bit lazy. We worked on getting used to the new suspension, which didn't rub, and our lap times. I saw Randy Pobst in the paddock and he jumped on my offer to take the checkered flag. Got Randy in with about 35 minutes to go and at the end of his first lap one of the two bolts connecting the ball joint to front suspension arm sheared leaving him with only one wheel steering. A quick repair and he was out for the last 3 laps of the day. He instantly beat my fastest time by 1 second and said there was lots more time he could have taken off.

Day 2 we decided to work on our race game and made an effort to have fast pit stops and stay on track turning laps as best we could. Car would lose power above 5000 RPM, so we just short shifted all day. We could have taken time off track to troubleshoot, but we just sent it instead. We had one of our best days ever. No time off track and some of the fastest driver changes.

At the end of the race we were 50th out of the 140 cars that turned laps. A pretty decent standing for our team.

We were getting lots of wheel spin on right hand turns with our open diff, so we ordered a Spartan lunchbox locker to try at our next race. We also were not able to get more than about an hour and a half before fuel starvation, so I am rebuilding the fuel pump hanger with a used one I got from 2manyturbos. We blew out our exhaust, so I am upgrading to a 3". I think the loss of power above 5000 RPM is timing related, so I will do a stage 0.

Here are a couple of videos of bad behavior we saw:
https://youtu.be/NVFhf6LBBSI
https://youtu.be/Ppitpz7pV5E

Here is the video of our fastest laps:
https://youtu.be/5XrhE7Aj75A

Next race Lucky Dog at Willow Springs.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 AM   #28
okoye
Board Member

Why don't you swap in a 93-95 940 tank? It's much bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:31 AM   #29
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Why don't you swap in a 93-95 940 tank? It's much bigger
Thanks, I was not aware of that. I am not sure where to find a decent one. As far as I know the junkyards around here pierce all the tanks to drain them. We will move to a fuel cell eventually.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #30
rb92673
Board Member

Interesting... according to Volvo the 93 940s have a 19.8 gallon tank, but the 93 960 sedan has a 21 gallon tank. That is close to fuel cell size max of 24 gallons, at a lot less cost. Is the 21g sedan with an aux tank?

Volvo says I have a 15.8 gallon tank. Most I have ever filled it is probably around 12 g. I burn about 7-8 gallons per hour. So with a 21 g tank I could probably a little over 2.5 hours.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #31
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I would definitely get a 960 tank for the car. Its well engineered, it fits, and is available for not much cost.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:22 AM   #32
okoye
Board Member

Well the thing about the 960 IRS tank is that it has a bracket surrounds the driveshaft, which is fine for IRS because the diff doesn't move.

this is the IRS tank

solid axle 83-92 you can see that it is smaller.

93+ 940 the tank is shaped differently vs the 92- I suggest taking the hard fuel lines that run over the top of the tank. Also 91+ uses press fittings vs the hose clamp style on the earlier cars.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:31 PM   #33
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Well the thing about the 960 IRS tank is that it has a bracket surrounds the driveshaft, which is fine for IRS because the diff doesn't move.

this is the IRS tank

solid axle 83-92 you can see that it is smaller.

93+ 940 the tank is shaped differently vs the 92- I suggest taking the hard fuel lines that run over the top of the tank. Also 91+ uses press fittings vs the hose clamp style on the earlier cars.
Thank you for clarifying the difference between the tanks.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #34
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Shouldn't the 960 91-94 wagon tank be good to go? those cars never received the IRS setup.

Did wagons have a smaller capacity?
Old 01-30-2022, 02:37 PM   #35
okoye
Board Member

Iirc wagons had about the same capacity as their sedan counterparts as far as the solid axle cars are concerned. A for sure drop in will be a 940 tank with brackets and fuel filler rubber. It’s an easy swap I did in my driveway on my old 89 wagon.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:36 AM   #36
pat244ti

Fun fact - the original builders towed this car to the track non running with it entered back in 2015. I was going back and forth between this car and my own car we were doing an engine swap to because it blew up a few hours in.

I never got it running for them. I've had like 7 different teams recruit me to fix their car, and this is the only one I failed at.

Glad its serving you well!
83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #37
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat244ti View Post
Fun fact - the original builders towed this car to the track non running with it entered back in 2015. I was going back and forth between this car and my own car we were doing an engine swap to because it blew up a few hours in.

I never got it running for them. I've had like 7 different teams recruit me to fix their car, and this is the only one I failed at.

Glad its serving you well!
Thanks for the history, I purchased it from Pagel in 2017. If you are ever at a Lemons race, please stop by.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:21 PM   #38
itb-volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
I think there are a bunch of displays you can get for the mega/microsquirt CANBUS already. If you could find a bright screen, you could use the Pi, but it takes about a minute to boot. I don't really want my drivers staring at the screen, I like idiot lights. It is hard enough to get them to come in when the oil light goes on.
You should really look into the Race Capture setup. We really like the setup in the General Leif. If your divers don't watch gauges you can watch them for them in the pits.
itb-volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #39
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itb-volvo View Post
You should really look into the Race Capture setup. We really like the setup in the General Leif. If your divers don't watch gauges you can watch them for them in the pits.
Thanks for the suggestion. We got a Race Capture earlier in the year. I use the predictive timing and have some custom idiot lights. I use a Fire tablet as the display, but it is not in a good place to view. I am going to redesign the dash after the Sonoma 24HoL race in March making the tablet is easier to see.

I like how you can overlay info on top of video:
https://youtu.be/5XrhE7Aj75A
Old 02-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #40
122power
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by itb-volvo View Post
Ive seen their set up and its pretty cool.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #41
escondidoron
Board Member

Are you planning to run LD at Willow Springs May 1-2?

We're just back from the Sonoma LD race last weekend. Randy Pobst drove a stint for us on Saturday. His input after was very helpful for our setup. BTW he ran a 1:59 in our car while the best we did was a 2:03. No substitute for talent!

FYI Randy has a 740 to run in LD and Lemons on the east coast.

'73 145
'16 V60

“A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom.” - Michel De Montaigne 1588

Last edited by escondidoron; 02-21-2022 at 04:41 PM..
escondidoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #42
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escondidoron View Post
Are you planning to run LD at Willow Springs May 1-2?

We're just back from the Sonoma LD race last weekend. Randy Pobst drove a stint for us on Saturday. His input after was very helpful for our setup. BTW he ran a 1:59 in our car while the best we did was a 2:03. No substitute for talent!

FYI Randy has a 740 to run in LD and Lemons on the east coast.
We are planning to run LD at Willow Springs. I got four LD sticker tires in my trailer ready to go on after 24HoL Sonoma in March.

What car are you running? Those are really fast times, what was the cutoff for Superdog?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:37 PM   #43
122power
dude

They don't run the bus stop fyi so the times will be lower.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #44
escondidoron
Board Member

We're running a '94 MX-5. It's an old ex-Spec Miata racer that we bought thru Craigslist. Sonoma was our 3rd race. We DNF'd our first two events with a blown head gasket at Willow on Sunday afternoon and a broken exhaust pipe up at Laguna, again on Sunday Afternoon. We're all virgins to on-track racing. Our first race was Willow Springs. After the blown head gasket we bought an '03 junkyard engine and installed an MS3 ECU along with a pretty thorough rebuild of the car along with a total home made wiring harness.

We were over the moon after Sonoma. We fell in love with the circuit and had an amazing Sunday race.

Our high points;
A) We finished with the car fully intact. We didn't break anything and avoided the carnage from the huge field that started on Saturday.
B) We managed a podium on Sunday.

Maybe we'll see you in May at Willow.

Last edited by escondidoron; 02-22-2022 at 12:05 AM..
escondidoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #45
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
They don't run the bus stop fyi so the times will be lower.
Ahh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by escondidoron View Post
We're running a '94 MX-5. It's an old ex-Spec Miata racer that we bought thru Craigslist. Sonoma was our 3rd race. We DNF'd our first two events with a blown head gasket at Willow on Sunday afternoon and a broken exhaust pipe up at Laguna, again on Sunday Afternoon. We're all virgins to on-track racing. Our first race was Willow Springs. After the blown head gasket we bought an '03 junkyard engine and installed an MS3 ECU along with a pretty thorough rebuild of the car along with a total home made wiring harness.

We were over the moon after Sonoma. We fell in love with the circuit and had an amazing Sunday race.

Our high points;
A) We finished with the car fully intact. We didn't break anything and avoided the carnage from the huge field that started on Saturday.
B) We managed a podium on Sunday.

Maybe we'll see you in May at Willow.
Sounds like winning to me.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #46
rb92673
Board Member

So we are racing this weekend and since we blew up our 2.25" Summit Racing turbo muffler after two races, we built a 3" exhaust with a new ATP 3" Ultimate wastegate and Borla race muffler. Hopefully it holds. No idea if I ported it enough.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #47
122power
dude

Woop! Looks good!
Old 03-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #48
rb92673
Board Member

So much overboost. Above 5 k pegs the boost gauge. Oops.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 PM   #49
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Sounds like correct boost.

How is the CD009 thus far? Did you wind up using the front mount shifter from Autosports Engineering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #50
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
So much overboost. Above 5 k pegs the boost gauge. Oops.
I had a lot of boost control issues with my side exit exhaust as well. No issues with full length setup.