home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default How often do rear brake proportioning valves fail?

non abs 240s pn 1228738
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...4-bar/1014313/

I have asked around for consensus whether or not these parts fail due to exterior rust or interior clogged valves from dirty fluid with debris...got different responses

Since they are no longer made, I am curious what TB owners are going to do? Install used ones? They are 34 bar...are people going to run adjustable rear proportioning valves from summit racing or something? (getting the exact pressure right by self adjusting seems impossible)

You can rarely find them nos, but they cost more than some cars for 2 of them:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36348287697...oAAOSww3Fepjzf
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
142 guy
Board Member
 
142 guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Default

You can find new ones. Scandcar lists them for a nose bleed price. The earlier valves as used on the 140 could be taken apart (4 bolt flange held the top hat on) and you can buy rebuild kits for them. The top hat on the 2 series appears to be crimped on so clearly not intended to be serviced. If you did pry off the top hat you would have the hassle of resetting the spring which is perhaps why they do not appear to list rebuild kits.

I pulled the valves off my 1971 142. Put plugs in the ports and sandblasted the outside clean and then disassembled and cleaned the internals. Didn't use a rebuild kit. Made sure not to touch the top hat adjusting screw. Painted the outside with Eastwood extreme chassis black and stuck them back on the car with new brake lines. They work - as far as I know. Push comes to shove you can delete them and install a bulkhead fitting for the flex to hard line connection. Put in a proportioning valve if you think its necessary. You could also find a pair from a salvage 140. At least those a rebuildable.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Generally speaking they're only bad on cars that have sat unused for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post

Since they are no longer made, I am curious what TB owners are going to do?
Go to the junkyard like we always do or beg in wanted if there's nothing around locally.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
Install used ones?


See above.
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?


Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
Radtap
Board Member
 
Radtap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Sweat zone, Arizona
Default

Wait until a 91 pops up in the junkyard and pull the octopus from that, has no sensor like the other years and instead uses a sensor on brake fluid reservoir, you don’t need a light on your dash to tell you that you’ve lost brake pressure. The 91 octopus will never leak
__________________
Feedback
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtap View Post
Wait until a 91 pops up in the junkyard and pull the octopus from that, has no sensor like the other years and instead uses a sensor on brake fluid reservoir, you don’t need a light on your dash to tell you that you’ve lost brake pressure. The 91 octopus will never leak
not the octopus
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Generally speaking they're only bad on cars that have sat unused for some time.



Go to the junkyard like we always do or beg in wanted if there's nothing around locally.






See above.
a car in a junkyard would probably be one that has sat unused for some time
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
a car in a junkyard would probably be one that has sat unused for some time
Not around here they crush them within 30-45 days.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #8
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Not around here they crush them within 30-45 days.
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=354006

seems like the solutions are not very good
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #9
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=354006

seems like the solutions are not very good
IDK if you're worried about it find a 'fresh kill' with collision damage and the proportioning valves will very likely be fine here in Cali.

If they're not you have 30 days to return them for another part or a credit slip for another pull at the JY slot machine whenever you choose to use it.

Unless you're being silly and expecting any kind of a guarantee with 30+ year old car parts, NOS or otherwise.

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
IDK if you're worried about it find a 'fresh kill' with collision damage and the proportioning valves will very likely be fine here in Cali.

If they're not you have 30 days to return them for another part or a credit slip for another pull at the JY slot machine whenever you choose to use it.

Unless you're being silly and expecting any kind of a guarantee with 30+ year old car parts, NOS or otherwise.

again assuming everybody on turbobricks lives in the U.S.

Live in Medellín, Colombia. Volvos here were owned by cartel members here in the 80s, they were luxury cars and there are not many of them.
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #11
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
again assuming everybody on turbobricks lives in the U.S.

Live in Medellín, Colombia. Volvos here were owned by cartel members here in the 80s, they were luxury cars and there are not many of them.
That's why I mentioned posting in wanted for 'known good' which is always cheaper and often times better than NOS which only means "It hasn't been sold in a retail setting" nothing more & nothing less.

EX:

It can be sitting on a wet shelf for 30+ years and have shelf wear / be rusty or have been stored in a hot attic and have dried out seals & O rings.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:31 PM   #12
Radtap
Board Member
 
Radtap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Sweat zone, Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
not the octopus
pfft didn't look at the part #, im going to the junkyard this weekend and there was a 244 with the valves still there last I checked if interested
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:10 PM   #13
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

I just replaced them with a pair of SS front brake lines. Direct replacement, but not everyone is going to be comfortable with this.
__________________
Feedback thread https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=144924

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #14
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I just replaced them with a pair of SS front brake lines. Direct replacement, but not everyone is going to be comfortable with this.


With big brakes that's what you do to keep the bias balance in the ball park.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:46 PM   #15
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Ya it was on my R brake swap.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:22 PM   #16
adamdrives
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose
Default

I recently had a pair on an 84 turbo that wouldn't allow any brake flow at all. Couldn't find replacements so I blasted them with brake clean and compressed air and they regained flow. not sure if theres a diaphragm or spring in piston in there so I'm not sure if it was a good idea, but it worked.
__________________
Feedback thread
78 242 DL clean daily
80 244 rescued retired autox car
83 245T just for fun
adamdrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:48 PM   #17
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdrives View Post
I recently had a pair on an 84 turbo that wouldn't allow any brake flow at all. Couldn't find replacements so I blasted them with brake clean and compressed air and they regained flow. not sure if theres a diaphragm or spring in piston in there so I'm not sure if it was a good idea, but it worked.


Probably not the best idea to introduce petrochemicals into the braking system, but carry on...



And yes it's a spring loaded rising rate joker valve.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #18
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

are those proportioning valves specific to the car? If not why not pull/get/install/use one from a similar RWD car or pickup truck ?
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #19
VolvoLatAm
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Barrio Pablo Escobar, Colombia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
are those proportioning valves specific to the car? If not why not pull/get/install/use one from a similar RWD car or pickup truck ?
you would have to find ones with the same fittings and pressure. If anybody did here there would already be a swap solution to a part still being produced...
VolvoLatAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #20
Radtap
Board Member
 
Radtap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Sweat zone, Arizona
Default

I’ve seen people replace them with an octopus block with the extra ports blocked but then you’ll have a little more brake pressure in the rear than usual, can be done if you’ve upgraded front brakes
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #21
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ocean Beach S.F.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
are those proportioning valves specific to the car? If not why not pull/get/install/use one from a similar RWD car or pickup truck ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoLatAm View Post
you would have to find ones with the same fittings and pressure. If anybody did here there would already be a swap solution to a part still being produced...
Similar units can probably be found on German cars but they're very likely more expensive than the Volvo ones.

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 02-21-2022 at 12:12 PM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #22
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster
 
Andrewhans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ near Philly
Default

Well... that's interesting. Is it really that simple to delete the bias valve? Which front lines? ABS or Non ABS car front line? Any brand you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I just replaced them with a pair of SS front brake lines. Direct replacement, but not everyone is going to be comfortable with this.
__________________

Current setup - Aluminum L33/Summit Turbo Stage 2, Billet 80mm turbo, single Walbro 450 and Dual AEM 400's, Bosch 210's
3060lb no driver
3240lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.