• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 1992 volvo 740 horrible squealing

bigjoe04

My car started making a high pitched squealing noise it makes this noise nonstop at idle driving warm or cold. I verified that it's not the belts it still does this with no accessory belts at all. I also removed the timing belt cover that all looks good. Its also not the turbo. I checked over the hoses pretty thoroughly for a vacuum leak I haven't found anything but I haven't fully ruled it out. Im lost as to what's going on could it be the transmission or something inside the engine? Could it be air getting around the injectors Im running bosch green giants

If the timing belt tensioner is seizing that may make a squealing noise. The tensioner can look fine but when you roll it by hand you'll feel the worn bearing.

Sounds like something rotating when running so the tensioner came to mind.

If the timing belt tensioner is seizing that may make a squealing noise. The tensioner can look fine but when you roll it by hand you'll feel the worn bearing.

Sounds like something rotating when running so the tensioner came to mind.

Sorry I forgot to mention I tested the tensioner it was smooth

It's definitely an air leak. You can tell because the pitch changes as soon as you crack the throttle.

A split intake gasket can whistle like that. Get a piece of hose and hold one end to your ear and search around with the other to find the source of the leak.

It's definitely an air leak. You can tell because the pitch changes as soon as you crack the throttle.

A split intake gasket can whistle like that. Get a piece of hose and hold one end to your ear and search around with the other to find the source of the leak.

I'll give that a try thanks!

Back