• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recomendation - Body work Houston

Murploid1

Car is an 82 244 Turbo.

Can anyone recommend a body shop / person in Houston Texas?

I would like to get my car prepared for paint. So, jobs like replacing doors, adjustments so that door jams are even, filler, etc.

Most body shops can't be bothered with that kind of work. I live in the Northeast and few shops will do that kind of work. You need to find a shop that does ? restoration/custom work, it might not be cheep. There is a shop near me that does that kind of work but I'm in NY. Check around, good luck.

I'm assuming Houston still has plenty of cheap labor nearby. I know Tucson will have body men advertise their shops and side jobs on CL. You might check there or check local car clubs for these services. Plenty of shops advertise with the British Car Club here in Tucson since those cars rusted, even in the desert.

So you want a body shop to do all the work short of spraying then haul it to Maaco for the spray? I'm confused at what you're looking for here. I am local to the H and know some people in the biz I'm just confused.

Take a deep breath and look around. Remember where you are.

Most of these guys have never heard the name Sikkens before. It's a Krylon world 'round here.

:lol:

For sure.

OP: you will want the shop that does the work to also spray it. Otherwise, expect a whole lot of drama and finger pointing between the two shops.

Take it to Maaco and pay them the $1200 for a scuff and bulk single stage squirt.

I wouldn't trust them to prep it. I will prep car myself. By prep I mean I will remove plastics and sand entire car.

They may be able to refine my work, filler, additional body work etc.

Some parts may need replacing, door and hood. And like I said I want all shut lines even.

I wouldn't trust them to prep it. I will prep car myself. By prep I mean I will remove plastics and sand entire car.

Some parts may need replacing, door and hood. And like I said I want all shut lines even.

Do you have any idea what you are doing? That's a real question. Just sanding the car can screw it up so bad when it is painted it will look like crap.

Do you have any idea what you are doing? That's a real question. Just sanding the car can screw it up so bad when it is painted it will look like crap.

Not sure we need to look that deep or past the problem. Lets focus on my requirements, not why, or if, or but....

If anyone has any suggestions great, if its too much of an ask, that's ok.

Not sure we need to look that deep or past the problem. Lets focus on my requirements, not why, or if, or but....

If anyone has any suggestions great, if its too much of an ask, that's ok.

That comes off as, I don't care what you have to say, I already know it all.

I can tell an amateur prep job 50 feet away no matter how good the painter shot the paint. 90% of a good paint job is the prep. That said, it's like a stage zero before turning up the boost. The prep is that important. That was a legitimate question from someone that spent 23 years operating a body, paint and restoration facility.

:rofl:

They didn't come that way from the factory, what makes you think it will ever happen?

Add 40 hours shop time to the bill and you can have all the gaps even and lined up. They will have to twist panels, move every panel. shift the core support etc, etc.

I had an 84 244 sprayed back in 95.

It was $4000 for what murploid is asking for. I didn't get a door done, mine was a color change on the trunk lid.

Man was she purdy. $4000 though. Not maaco

That is a totally legitimate suggestion. There is no way I would paint a car someone else did prep on unless I was familiar with their work. Even then, that would really be pushing the comfort zone. I certainly would not guarantee my paint work over the body work and prep someone else did. It is just plain a recipe for disaster.

Back