home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
isaac
The Isaac

Default Cam seals on a V70/S60R

So Iím about to do this job on my 04 V70R and am pretty intimidated by the dual adjustable timing gears. Is there a trick to really making sure those things are set right and arenít misadjusted? Thanks!
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:17 AM   #2
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
So Iím about to do this job on my 04 V70R and am pretty intimidated by the dual adjustable timing gears. Is there a trick to really making sure those things are set right and arenít misadjusted? Thanks!
First, install Volvo special tool 9995451 through the proper hole in the block to lock the crankshaft in position.

Then install Volvo special tool 9995452 onto the non-sprocket ends of the camshafts to lock them in position. You'll need it to torque the VVT sprocket unit retainer bolts to 120nm (88 ft-lbs). And also to loosen them (feels like a LOT more than 88).

Then do the rest of the complicated and precision stuff.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Honestly, I never lock the crank. In fact, I don't think the VIDA instructions even tell you to lock the crank. Turn the crank until the line lines up and you can get the cam tool on. Then just don't touch the crank.

Jordan
Old 01-15-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
isaac
The Isaac

Mmbien
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Location: Californicated Oregone...suggestions for a way out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Honestly, I never lock the crank. In fact, I don't think the VIDA instructions even tell you to lock the crank. Turn the crank until the line lines up and you can get the cam tool on. Then just don't touch the crank.

Jordan
This, tho had one green-horn mech second guess/not trust the crank mark (which isn't always TDC on #1 except on the 4-hole S40 whiteblock?) & use a chopstick to put #1 @ TDC, do a T-belt & bend uhhh...IDK...something close to all 24 valves?
I couldn't believe the engine started looking back on it/noises it made after the fact!

'murika idiocracy / elroy FTW?

Tho that one was particularly funny to me because it takes a certain kinda foreknowledge/imagination to even think to do that, but also not refer back to the factory manual or check with the spark plugs out that it spun over no resistance/bending of valves or something by hand gently once the t-belt was on IDK?

Poor kid just outta auto-tech school finally fessed up to it.
Nice kid, didn't get fired, but did have to go source a head on his time (pistons survived that little mis-adventure) & recondition it.
One of my favorite bumper sticker slogans applies I think?
"oh no!,
not another learning experience!"

I don't use the crank lock tool, either, but technically I suppose if you use both cam & crank lock tools, you can't get it 'wrong,' easily...tho where there's a will & smarter (deviant/imaginative?) idiots, there's gotta be a way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 01-15-2022 at 09:41 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote