• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

84 245 Fuel Pump/Gauge Issues

Terry1941

I am on my third tank of gas on this thing and thus far when it is in the Red Zone it took just over 10 gallons to fill. I believe the capacity is 15.9 US Gallons. The gauge reads full when filled, and I filled it the first two times at about 3/4 gauge and it took 10.2 gallons. Yesterday I filled it when it was dipping into the red and it took 10.5 gallons. The first two fill ups the trip was 200 miles, the last fill up it was 235 miles. I think something is not right here somewhere. Maybe the gas tank float assembly and pump are not working? The pump is quite noisy from 1/2 tank gauge to empty.

Any thoughts??

I have a 1984 2.3L 244. The tank capacity is 15.8 gallons. The "red zone" line means five gallons remain. (This is in the owner's manual and still holds true 37 years later.) When the needle initially hits "E" that means four gallons remain, at least on mine.

That is most interesting, quite a reserve! I received a link to an on line owners manual and it only tells you the tank capacity, does not address the "red zone". I would guess the original written version has it. I am curious, how many miles can you get on a tank of mixed highway and city?

That is most interesting, quite a reserve! I received a link to an on line owners manual and it only tells you the tank capacity, does not address the "red zone". I would guess the original written version has it. I am curious, how many miles can you get on a tank of mixed highway and city?
Approximately 300.

My recommendation is to keep the tank full at every opportunity unless you're on a long trip. The practice reduces corrosion from water vapor as well as stress from worry about running out. You can gradually push it to the limit on a long trip, but yes, I expect I need to stop when the trip odometer turns over 300. Write mileage on your gas receipts.

The noise you hear when the tank is 1/2 empty indicates there is indeed something wrong that will have you looking In The Tank

Back