• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 dumps oil post pcv install

thesilverbrickpdx

Howdy y'all

Over the weekend I finally got around to replacing the PCV system on my 91 wagon. The engine has over 300k on it, and was suffering horribly from overpressure. That said on my first test run around the block post install I noticed a huge cloud of smoke, which upon further investigation I noticed ~1/2 qt of oil that seems to have come from either the headgasket or rear main.

The car runs fine, doesn't overheat and never leaked from these areas before. The smoke itself was from the oil burning off on the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Is it possible the change in pressure could've pushed some seals over the edge, or is this just an old fashioned case of user error?

I have had more than 0ne redblock engine push a seal out. Since it is burning off the exhaust manifold your cam seal likely pushed out. A customer of mine had that happen. Her car's PCV box was almost completely plugged when it happened.

Howdy y'all

Over the weekend I finally got around to replacing the PCV system on my 91 wagon. The engine has over 300k on it, and was suffering horribly from overpressure. That said on my first test run around the block post install I noticed a huge cloud of smoke, which upon further investigation I noticed ~1/2 qt of oil that seems to have come from either the headgasket or rear main.

The car runs fine, doesn't overheat and never leaked from these areas before. The smoke itself was from the oil burning off on the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Is it possible the change in pressure could've pushed some seals over the edge, or is this just an old fashioned case of user error?

What exactly did you replace? You replaced the breather box, pcv tube that goes from base of breather box into oil pan, flame trap?

If you don't spend time making sure the oil drain hose in the engine block is clear. You may still be developing excess crank pressure. The most likely seal being pushed out is the cam plug at the back of the head.

I have had more than 0ne redblock engine push a seal out. Since it is burning off the exhaust manifold your cam seal likely pushed out. A customer of mine had that happen. Her car's PCV box was almost completely plugged when it happened.

That makes sense, I did notice some oil on the valve cover.

If you don't spend time making sure the oil drain hose in the engine block is clear. You may still be developing excess crank pressure. The most likely seal being pushed out is the cam plug at the back of the head.

That makes sense, I just found the post you made on modding the hose and might give it a shot.

Cool, hope that helps you out. Mine was completely clogged so the mod has worked out well. A friend of mine came up with a long wire brush that he uses to clean the drain hose. I haven't tried it on my car but it worked great on his. Busted right though all the crud and his system now passes the glove test.

Back