home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition > the vault

Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #251
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

My issue is that the fan runs (it seems) when I am on the freeway so I am trying to eliminate that, it doesn't need to run. I'd love to try that.
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #252
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

I will set the switch aside. If you don't come up this weekend I can give it to Scott for you.

93 245 m47 300k miles, one owner, zero compression
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #253
eurotrash940
Board Member

Dumb question - the temp switch in the radiator has two prongs - why two? I guess I had assumed this switch grounded through the radiator, but the more I think of it maybe I am wrong.

If one side should be hooked to ground, I assume it doesn't matter which side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
TB the new home of the internet special olympics.
eurotrash940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #254
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Doesn't ground through the rad, that could cause electrolysis (which is bad). Technically that switch doesn't need power, I use mine on the ground on my relay. When it closes, it gives the relay a ground completing the circuit.
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #255
doucheNozzle

Yea I've been happy with the way Alden and I have the system setup on our cars.

Ground through the SAAB thingy, sender in the lower hose and power to the relay.

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #256
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Yea I've been happy with the way Alden and I have the system setup on our cars.

Ground through the SAAB thingy, sender in the lower hose and power to the relay.
mine is similar to this but im using the upper temp sensor in the radiator. Im in Dallas and Ive seen temps up into the 103º and the temp gauge goes slightly above center. Im loving the 940 efan relay.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #257
PaulSimonon
Board Member

I apologize for the basic question, but when using a 940 relay and the Saab sensor in the T-fitting will the temp sensor essentially be functioning where the ECU was before and sending the signal to ground? Am I getting this at all?

My conception is that there is one power to the relay, the harness from relay to motor can remain unchanged, and the Saab sensor will be wired from the yellow/brown wire to ground for high speed or from the green/orange wire to ground for low speed...

Are there any tradeoffs between running high or low speed?

If I am confused in my thinking, could anyone explain it to me in extremely simple terms?

Wanted Thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=203777
PaulSimonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #258
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

I kept my e-fan on the key-on circuit and it worked fine all week including at the autocross. Still runs a little cool, so the switch will happen soon, but it's not a priority.
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #259
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSimonon View Post
I apologize for the basic question, but when using a 940 relay and the Saab sensor in the T-fitting will the temp sensor essentially be functioning where the ECU was before and sending the signal to ground? Am I getting this at all?

My conception is that there is one power to the relay, the harness from relay to motor can remain unchanged, and the Saab sensor will be wired from the yellow/brown wire to ground for high speed or from the green/orange wire to ground for low speed...

Are there any tradeoffs between running high or low speed?

If I am confused in my thinking, could anyone explain it to me in extremely simple terms?
Here you go:

When using the relay and the saab temp sender, ground one terminal to the chasis and the other terminal goes to the Green/ Orange wire on the relay. That is if you want the saab sender to run the low speed.

I keep my high speed on a toggle switch in the dash on my 240 incase I see high temps in Dallas here. The low speed has kept up with 103º here. I am using the radiator temp sender on the top of the radiator which is a little to warm for me. I will be changing that soon.
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #260
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
Here you go:
When using the relay and the saab temp sender, ground one terminal to the chasis and the other terminal goes to the Green/ Orange wire on the relay. That is if you want the saab sender to run the low speed.

I keep my high speed on a toggle switch in the dash on my 240 incase I see high temps in Dallas here. The low speed has kept up with 103º here. I am using the radiator temp sender on the top of the radiator which is a little to warm for me. I will be changing that soon.
So far my 940 e-fan has been performing great in the Dallas heat, now over 3 yrs.
I use the low speed for general engine cooling, with the upper radiator switch being the NAPA 87 deg on/82 deg off, completing ground for the main fan relay. I switch the main relay by a small 12v/10amp relay with power off the coil + wire to go on only with ignition.

The high speed fan is switched by the pressure sensor in the A/C line to go on when the A/C pressure drops at idle. This has been the best part of the whole conversion, giving me 48 deg at the vents at idle.

Also, I took out the temperature compensaion board and jumpered the pins to by-pass it. This gives you accurate temp readings. My gage is sitting at 8:30 most of the time (winter is about 7:00) and gently rises to ~9:30 then back down to 8:30 when the fan goes on. Prior to putting the lower switching NAPA switch the temp rose to nearly the bottom of the red, then came down when the fan went on.
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #261
PaulSimonon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
Here you go:

Thank you, the help is very much appreciated. I ought to be good to go.
PaulSimonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #262
bigbret
Campin in your backyard.

Got my ish wired up. 960 e fan, 92 degree temp switch in the rad wired to the low speed. High speed wired to a switch. Fan cycles twice when car is hot and it is not on too much. Very nice.
bigbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #263
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Been quite a few years since I updated my original e-fan conversion info. I recently put in a big fan from a Ford T-Bird SC in my 242ti and it is a serious fan. More on it in my e-fan page: http://www.davebarton.com/ElectricCoolingFans.html, but here's what it looks like...
Dave B

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because I like. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with modded 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff, unmodified G80.
Volvo Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #264
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

can i see some pics of the saab fan switch in line?

it's supposed to go in the lower hose, right?

like on my radiator mount fan switch, one peg to ground, other to relay?
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #265
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylesofsmyles View Post
can i see some pics of the saab fan switch in line?

it's supposed to go in the lower hose, right?

like on my radiator mount fan switch, one peg to ground, other to relay?
Yup. Just cut your hose in half, stick the t-pipe in there and get a new fan switch from Amazon.
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #266
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Yup. Just cut your hose in half, stick the t-pipe in there and get a new fan switch from Amazon.
right on...and can you explain to me the correlation between t-stat temp range and fan switch temp range. want this baby prepped for high temp driving, ie desert at 100+ degrees
Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #267
bigbret
Campin in your backyard.

I run a 92 degree Celcius in the rad itself, and the car runs excellent. I verified head temps were exceptable with an infared thermometer. The fan is turned off at 88 degrees celcius. It will cycle three times on a hot day after I turn off the car. Current temps in Sonoma county have been 80's to 90's. This set up is real nice. I am running the 2 speed fan from a 960 with the relay. LOw speed is controlled by the temp switch. High speed is a center console mounted switch. It is nice to be able to turn on the fan in traffic or after shut down if I want to wrench sooner on a hot engine.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #268
eurotrash940
Board Member

I just completed my fan conversion with the low speed hooked up to a relay switches ground on ignition abd the high speed is hooked to the radiator temp switch.

Should I be concerned about reducing the life of the fan by running the low speed all the time when the key is on?

Btw, the 940/960 shroud and relays look like a factory install is done properly. I'm very pleased.
eurotrash940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #269
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbret View Post
I run a 92 degree Celcius in the rad itself, and the car runs excellent. I verified head temps were exceptable with an infared thermometer. The fan is turned off at 88 degrees celcius. It will cycle three times on a hot day after I turn off the car. Current temps in Sonoma county have been 80's to 90's. This set up is real nice. I am running the 2 speed fan from a 960 with the relay. LOw speed is controlled by the temp switch. High speed is a center console mounted switch. It is nice to be able to turn on the fan in traffic or after shut down if I want to wrench sooner on a hot engine.
so u didn't do the saab fan switch, but instead did what I did and used a radiator mount fan switch?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #270
bigbret
Campin in your backyard.

Quote:
so u didn't do the saab fan switch, but instead did what I did and used a radiator mount fan switch?
Yep I used the rad mounted temp switch. It works great. I run a 92 degree Celsius on, 88 degree Celsius off. Works great can't complain.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #271
Rectilinear
Longitudinally Mounted

I have had problems in the past with the temp switches in the radiator. I just installed an efan on my 242 this weekend and used a relay to power up the low speed anytime the ignition is on. I have a second relay I have yet to wire that will engage high speed when the a/c is turned on, hopefully this will allow the a/c to cool better. So far, low speed is working fine by itself.
Rectilinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #272
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
right on...and can you explain to me the correlation between t-stat temp range and fan switch temp range. want this baby prepped for high temp driving, ie desert at 100+ degrees
I use an 82 deg t-stat with an 87 deg on, 82 deg off rad mount switch from NAPA and works, cycles great in the Texas heat, keeps the temp exactly at 9:00 (temp comp board by-passed) without waiver at 100 degrees, A/C on max. 3 1/2 years now on e-fan.

see post #103
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #273
yellow95
Board Member

with my saab switch and the comp board bypassed I see about 3/4 rise before the fan kicks in. Should that concern me? It never goes to the red. Let me know your thoughts.

Gary

1998 V70 T5A Blue
1998 S70 T5M Red
1998 XC70 White SOLD
1998 S70 T5M White SOLD
1995 854 Turbo SOLD
1998 C70 HPT TRADED
1996 850 Turbo SOLD
1998 V70 T5M (Formerly Owned by Paul Newman) SOLD
1998 V70 T5A SOLD
1996 850 Turbo SOLD
1993 244 SOLD
1991 244 SOLD
1985 245 Turbo SCRAPPED
1982 244 Turbo SOLD
1998 V70 T-5M 18T SOLD
1997 854 GLT 16T SOLD
1995 854 18T SOLD
1997 855 SOLD
1996 850 TLA SOLD
yellow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #274
UTAHGTBRICK
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow95 View Post
with my saab switch and the comp board bypassed I see about 3/4 rise before the fan kicks in. Should that concern me? It never goes to the red. Let me know your thoughts.

Gary
too bad you didn't have an infrared thermometer, but 3/4 is more than i'd like to see. Perfect place is just a tick or two beyond halfway.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...86#post5022386
UTAHGTBRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #275
xylopagus
(xylo)

I went to O'Reilly's today to see if I could find an 87 degree temp switch, but nobody had any idea what I was talking about. They ended up selling me a "Hayden fan thermostat kit" with a relay, probe, and pigtail. It said it was adjustable from 90 - 210F, but I don't think it has an off temperature as my fan never switched off.

Do you guys just ask for a temp switch and they know what you mean (at NAPA) or do you have to specify a make/model of vehicle that happens to have an 87 on and 82 off temp switch. I think I'm going to re-wire this straight to a 40 amp relay and separate temp switch rather than use a boxed setup. I'd like to simply plug into the temp sender that's already in my radiator and wire a toggle to the interior for high speed.
xylopagus is offline   Reply With Quote