• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage 140 Dash Tach pod - Anyone ever drill for this?

MisterBLC

Folks,

Working on a '70 Volvo 145 and I am trying to work up the courage to drill the dash to install the very cool OEM Tach dash pod accessory. I'm trying to decide where to place it and how best to drill this. Anyone ever done this and have any tips? Or better yet, anyone ever seen factory instructions on how/where to drill this? The few pics I have seen (mostly 122) place it on the center of the dash, to the right of the driver, while I was initially thinking tucked on the left side of the dash. I would love to see pics if anyone has done an install to see what it looks like in either place on a 140 dash.

Thanks!
Brian

Pedestal tachs were available for 122 and 140/160 series cars. The 122 tachs have a rectangular foot and an angled spacer. 140/160 tachs have a round foot and a straight spacer.

DashTach1.jpg

No idea where they're supposed to be mounted.

Every picture I've ever seen has been to the right of the driver. I would guess that since it was an accessory and probably installed at the dealer, there's no precise place for it. Just don't drill through anything important.

Dash is already cracked, so I don't feel quite as bad :) I have done a small tach in the ash tray slot before, but its so far to the right its kind of useless. Will take a look and see what things look like in the center of the dash...I am guess I will have to remove some of the heater/vent controls in order to have enough space to drill.

Brian

Dashboard is pretty cluttered on a '70 145. Left of the speedo cluster with 5 switches and 3 to the right? No practical area close to the driver is available. But I agree that the ashtray area is kind of far away. I've done a few small tach inserts into that space too.

Pulling out the HV controls seems kind of short sighted unless the car is headed to the race track. Wouldn't make a comfortable daily driver - at least not around here where heat is nice.

See post # 104.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?201780-What!-Another-142-Project-Car/page3

This is where the hole for the dashboard mounted tach is/was on my car. It now holds an AFR gauge since I did a custom gauge insert for my car which included a new tach.

If you have cracks in your dash pad, it is fairly easy to do a respectable job of filling those cracks and repainting. Filling a hole for a dashboard mounted tach - not so easy!

I had a 142 that came with the dash mounted tach. I liked it. It was functional and not in the line of sight.

142_19a.jpg

Back