• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

EV turbobrick - the turbobrick way?

All my EVs are under NDA and haven't been publicly released yet :e-shrug:
There is one hybrid UAV I developed the powertrain for, that might be out flying about these days. I'll have to check.

There are a few members on this board that have seen them under construction, but no photos were allowed... and I'll :ninja::skullbones: them if the mention anything.

They're all up and running just fine, doing real world testing, and hopefully they get the go-ahead for production soon.

Also, stop recommending ancient motor technology that has really poor torque to current ratios. Those Warp9 motors are fine-ish, but there are much better motors out there which will offer more torque for each amp.

And I'll echo what bobxyz is saying, you're gonna get someone electrocuted or have their garage... I mean HF carport, burned to the ground.

What t-bricker would build an inverter hook up all the voltage in the world to it in the car it goes in with an try a maiden with zero safety implemented. WHO DOES THAT?.

Have you met anyone from this forum in real life, or seen the cars they modify?

Who hasn't done a massive burnout, blasted some back roads, and then realized they never torqued their lugnuts?

Thats nice can he buy it for 3 grand? I mean if its "yours" whos the NDA with? anyway

There's nothing any more dangerous here than it is already. If you want to use that to persuade a mod to only let you speak thats cool but its bs and know it. How is it you've accomplished all these things in EV and dont know how widely series wound dc machines are used in diy EV. OF COURSE ITS SOMETHING BETTER I SHOWN YOU THE BEST. YOU VIEWED IT 11,000 times so far BUT IT ISNT WITHING HIS BUDGET. OR DO YOU NOT GET THAT? What people do on turbobricks with there car has absolutely zero bearing on building his own Inverter. You can get dramatic about it but anyone that's really familiar with it doesn't find it terribly intimidating.

You are welcomed to chase you own tail for 5 more pages of brainstorming. Your gonna get around this somehow . I cannot wait to see it. EV experts than cannot build an h-bridge. Im the fraudulent one your correct. I mean what's to worry about with danger this budget wont buy batteries.

The idea that hacking an electrical system from another car is any less dangerous is bull**** period! This thread is too because there no EE senior in the world afraid of building an inverter for a DIY ev project. Universities do it everyday. Evidently you don't know much about EV and hyperloop challenges either. He doesnt care about 20 points of efficiency remember??? Is it now an issue with the series wound machine that will put him in the 10 without another vehicles entire drive train??? What can he do with suggestions from builds that cant ne shown because of NDAs and if people here have seen it you already broke the agreement. :) The flux capacitor and DC Plaza are both builds he can view from beginning to end. A build threads worthless without photos...

Just chasing tails....

It's ashame that one thread from another site linked here by someone with zero experience has become grail here in an instant. Even worse the gross overcite on motor control IC's , copper fill, were all incorrect lessons, learned in this thread. Then you top it off with a proposal that comes no where near his budget but only points to the fact that yes its about 10-20k to be my ev "friend".

Last edited:
This thread is too because there no EE senior in the world afraid of building an inverter for a DIY ev project. Universities do it everyday. Evidently you don't know much about EV and hyperloop challenges either.

I've advised those EE seniors before, and I've seen the sketchy mechanical work they do. I also see how they don't design around proper cooling or component sizing and selection. This goes for the German uni students I've worked with an advised as well.

I've also been on collegiate teams that have built extremely successful EV race cars. Guess who we worked with to design the controllers..... RMS

The reason for working with RMS: See above about EE students (BS/MS) not being able to design products for the real world.

attachment.php

To bad im not just an EE cullberro. You will never advise me because Im a certified machinist manual and CNC and ive spent 5 years Under a ME and toolmaker name James Allen what you can do if you need brownie points is ask Childress racing about him. While with him I learned alot about building small engines, fixtures , tooling, metallurgy etc. Im pretty retentive as well as have everything I've ever learned filed away for reference at any time. Yeah and who said hes a real EE besides him? The other ME in my life is whop brought you lessons about efficiency. Swedebrick needing you has zero to do with me. Everything Ive posted already exist and is working in the real world. You haven't advised anyone at NC STATE DEECS or The university of Bundeswehr in Munic. I have no idea about any other incompetent paths you may have crossed but you didn't cross them in either of these places and that a fact. You dont hold the resume to recieve a hubertus award for post docs. This is one of James torque cradles for small engines. How bout this for sketchy mechanics? If you think your the only person on the board that knows which way to hold an adjustable wrench you're crazy.

And again this is going to build his car within budget how?

Last edited:
To bad im not just an EE cullberro. You will never advise me because Im a certified machinist manual and CNC and ive spent 5 years Under a ME and toolmaker name James Allen what you can do if you need brownie points is ask Childress racing about him. While with him I learned alot about building small engines, fixtures , tooling, metallurgy etc. Im pretty retentive as well as have everything I've ever learned filed away for reference at any time. Yeah and who said hes a real EE besides him? The other ME in my life is whop brought you lessons about efficiency. Swedebrick needing you has zero to do with me.

You left out your highest qualification, you're incredibly humble... On a scale of 1-10, where do you think you fall? How do others see you? 1 = ego out of control. 10 = monk. It's simple math. It doesn't even involve derivatives or imaginary numbers.

Cool.
You like to throw out your accolades and accomplishments to justify what you say. That's fine.
You should realize that there are people on this board who have more experience than you in a lot (and I mean a lot) of areas. Sure we all play with old Volvos, but we also have day jobs doing things that progress the future of science and technology. Or bio-medical research, or physics, or automotive engineering, or woodworking...

These people are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt when interacting with you, but it's getting hard and tiring.

You left out your highest qualification, you're incredibly humble... On a scale of 1-10, where do you think you fall? How do others see you? 1 = ego out of control. 10 = monk. It's simple math. It doesn't even involve derivatives or imaginary numbers.

He brings it up I answer and it becomes my ego because it doesn't apply to me. Im not a sketchy mechanic regardless. Its no matter of ego its a matter of what I know and what I do not know. The bottom line is I'm very mechanically inclined no mater how many labels you throw out there.

Please cullberro what exactly is it when you throw out what youve done as a reason for why people should listen to you. There is zero difference. I dont need the benefit of the doubt this imaginary car will not happen at budget or likely at all. I know this and nothing you post will change it. Not a bolt has been shown or moved here in its name.

Last edited:
How's that? The OP ask just a few post ago for me to show other options and I have. You have not shown him how he can go faster for cheaper. Have you? What he posted is he didn't have my experience and the terms I used were unfamiliar. If he's a young engineer it is my duty to share the things I know and encourage him that the task is not daunting. Telling an engineer to buy what he can build for himself because he will get shocked is SHOCKING! Showing him what is possible from the DIY end of things doesn't stop you from showing him anything but you haven't really as of yet. Generalities and what you have done. BUT what can HE do is what gets his car built not ev's under NDA's

Last edited:
He brings it up I answer and it becomes my ego because it doesn't apply to me. Im not a sketchy mechanic regardless. Its no matter of ego its a matter of what I know and what I do not know. The bottom line is I'm very mechanically inclined no mater how many labels you throw out there.

I guess the car and how to build it within budget is a dead topic here.

He didn't bring up anything about you. You seem to take everything as a personal attack. I personally know culberro and he is not like that. Try sharing your ideas and if someone disagrees with you, or doesn't like your suggestion, let it go. Nobody here is on a mission to Mars where everything has to be 100% efficient and there can be no mistakes because the entire crew's lives are at stake. Chill a bit.

I'd love to know what an actual expert would say about HK's recommended controller chip and example designs.

For those following this thread with access to real EV Inverter design engineers, and who can ask them non work related questions, please send them the below link to the datasheet and ask them about using this chip for a DIY high-voltage EV Inverter using the topology shown on Page 18 of the datasheet (3-phase 6-step Full Wave Motor Controller).
https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mc33035-d.pdf

[Don't tell them this, but it's a ~30 year old Motorola chip with a maximum motor voltage of 40volts when used in the recommended topology. It's suitable for small motors, not traction motors. An example of a suitable electric vehicle application, using 24V drive, can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzqItc3o52s]

Experts? Motorola isnt? OK.... But Bob theres no need to try to slam the chip many people are using it in EV already. :) This thread isnt about that chip but your making that your only argument because of your overcite about it. You know no battery power hand tool runs at 30hp and no rc toy uses sensored bldc controllers but RC CARS. Your still chasing your tail because I started off showing controllers much more advanced than reinharts and his budget wont by them either. Its isnt my fault real ev cost real money! If you have to write and ask somebody about the chip then its safe too say you dont much about it.

If you want to ask them about drives ask them about MGMCOMPPRO or APD.... and when you aske them about any of it they will tell you yes it works....

And why would you ask them about that topology when that isnt the one you were shown by me to drive a high current bridge

See this is really quite silly. What you have just posted about the chip mean nothing. Its a logic based ic you know fast acting . I suppose if you really knew about this there would be no heavy debate. He only needs basic motor control and a good regenerative brake the brushed or brushless dc motor provides. Its a great IC and particularly helpful for people not at inverter design and the complexed programming involved. You should be aware that digital logic circuits are very fast. Logic arrays are what you find in missile control systems and one problem with FOC based controllers is there ability to process fast enough for high pole count motors. High pole counts mean more torque. Fast MCUs mean more money and complex programming. You pay for that.... Since my proposal is fairly antiquated and simple it work within his budget and doesn't not require a fancy controller. It bring the price down considerably. This build wont don a 6000 inverter so why even go there if there even a chance to materialize. Why worry about high efficiency when HE said he doesn't care about 19 points of. And still sub 5s aren't too shabby for the money he will spend. There is nothing any simpler or safer about retrofitting a drive train or electronics from a 4 wheel drive toyota to a volvo. It def isn't cheaper.

Last edited:
See this is really quite silly. What you have just posted about the chip mean nothing. Its a logic based ic you know fast acting . I suppose if you really knew about this there would be no heavy debate. He only needs basic motor control and a good regenerative brake the brushed or brushless dc motor provides. Its a great IC and particularly helpful for people not at inverter design and the complexed programming involved.

Where is all that regen energy going to go when the batteries can't take it?

You mean you dont know and you work with this? How bout you tell me? Wed love to generate so much as to overcharge the battery. Underline your answer because thats hardly an engineering obstacle for those in the know.

Hubert

Last edited:
You mean you dont know and you work with this? How bout you tell me?

Hubert

I cannot facepalm hard enough at this.

You're telling people to build a simple motor controller, and then mentioning the fact that it can regen.
Sure, for a while. Until there's no where else for that power to go and it blows up the motor drives. :wtf:

Here's something that's actually constructive: https://trampaboards.com/1x-vesc-75...lectronic-speed-controller-ever--p-26627.html

Decent drive, but it does need constant cooling to hit those current targets. Like it either needs a heatsink and a 6" Spal fan, or a watercooled chill plate.

HK: You will post all day about how amazing such and such drive is, but there's a reason that vehicle motor drives are liquid cooled, or run with forced air convection and de-rated.
Those "small" drives wouldn't make it a minute of hard driving with the power levels you keep throwing around.

You mean you dont know and you work with this? How bout you tell me?

Hubert

It seems to me culberro asked you a relevant question that you once again evaded. That is your MO throughout this thread and others you are in or started. So, if you are SUPPOSEDLY trying to help with the bench racing project, be helpful. Quit with the penis measuring contest.

It seems to me culberro asked you a relevant question that you once again evaded. That is your MO throughout this thread and others you are in or started. So, if you are SUPPOSEDLY trying to help with the bench racing project, be helpful. Quit with the penis measuring contest.

That is a question he should know based on his experience. So he should be able to answer it. It make no sense to ask a question like this if you build evs for a living. The controllers are built and the ev's are moving down the track.

And I m here to help swedebrick the OP and have offered him alot if he chooses to use it . Right now I'm having to defend my advice to him which actually has nothing to do with helping him.

Last edited:
Where is all that regen energy going to go when the batteries can't take it?

Not to mention burning up your brushed DC motor by using Regen.

Yeah it can be done, but it requires more knowledge and more circuitry than most hobbyists are going to be willing to mess with.

That is a question he should know based on his experience. So he should be able to answer it. It make no sense to ask a question like this if you build evs for a living.

He did answer it, you didn't. I think he called you on bull**** and you had no logical response that didn't make you out to be a bull****ter. That's just my take on how your responded and continue to respond.

I'll sum it up for you. In a real world design meeting you would get the living **** slapped out of you and would be shown the door if you behaved like you do here. That's why I have already shown you the door here once. Do you have any clue how to carry on a discussion that actually becomes a learning experience for those involved?

Back