home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition > the vault

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #351
tryingbe
Boosting along.
 
tryingbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Default

Are you looking for high impedance or low impedance injectors?
__________________
85 GLH 367whp
00 Insight mpg > yours.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #352
Hog Hauler
Board Member
 
Hog Hauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cali
Default

So I have read through this whole thread from start to finish. I am also trying to do the e-fan conversion on my 87 740ti and it appears that there just isn't enough room to put the 940 fan in there. I have tried removing the studs on the water pump and putting bolts in there and still not enough room. Is there any way to make this e-fan fit or do I need a slimmer fan? I already have the whole setup so I'm hoping I can make it work. Is there a slimmer water pump and pulley setup?
__________________
1987 745tic full IPD sways, springs, bilsteins HDs, chassi braces, ipd turbo cam, sbabbs fuel chip, body kit, full 3" turbo back exaust resonator magnaflow, custom cold air box, garett @15psi, triple a-piller.

1998 V70 XC black on black, bone stock with volans
Hog Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #353
miguel.760ti
Board Member
 
miguel.760ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Default

Ditch the 940 shroud and adapt the fan to the stock shroud by using zip ties. The kind that auto zone sells to mount e-fans/oil coolers to radiators work great, I can get you a part number/UPC if needed.

Posted via Mobile Device
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #354
leslie_s
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Default

I wish there was a way to get my 740 fan and shroud on my 240 without any zipties. I'm going to have to use them on the bottom though, it seems. :(
__________________
i drive a 2008 Jeep Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer man View Post
On May 21st 2011, the official majority language will be Hispanic in the great U.S.A. Adios Gringo.
leslie_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #355
Texas240
Prius Owner
 
Texas240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Hauler View Post
So I have read through this whole thread from start to finish. I am also trying to do the e-fan conversion on my 87 740ti and it appears that there just isn't enough room to put the 940 fan in there. I have tried removing the studs on the water pump and putting bolts in there and still not enough room. Is there any way to make this e-fan fit or do I need a slimmer fan? I already have the whole setup so I'm hoping I can make it work. Is there a slimmer water pump and pulley setup?
are you serious, I have a 940 fan/ shroud on my 240 and I have a food 2" of space. I think you can do it on your 740
__________________
93 245 LS Engine Swap Project
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #356
Hog Hauler
Board Member
 
Hog Hauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cali
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
are you serious, I have a 940 fan/ shroud on my 240 and I have a food 2" of space. I think you can do it on your 740
Yes I am serious! I already know it fits in a 240 there is even tons of pics on here of people that have installed them on 240's. There is a ton more room. Again the fan just physically doesn't fit in my 740 turbo. Even if I ditch the 949 fan shroud and adapt it to my factory shroud still doesn't fit. So if anyone has any suggestions (shorter water pump or different pulley) it would be much appreciated.
Hog Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #357
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15147
Default

You have one of those triple core radiators. PM windowsbreakerG4 and ask him how he did his. I can't remember. I think he used a china fan.
__________________

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #358
Texas240
Prius Owner
 
Texas240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
You have one of those triple core radiators. PM windowsbreakerG4 and ask him how he did his. I can't remember. I think he used a china fan.
I have the triple core radiator and the 240 has less engine bay space
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #359
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS
 
WindowsBreakerG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western PA
Default

Engine sits back a bit further, nissens 3row+ 740 turbo + 940 fan =s no fit. The one that i could get it to almost work was mounting the fan in the stock shroud but even that was no go.
__________________
ovlover: Its an auto. Problem found, Manual swap. Problem solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #360
Hog Hauler
Board Member
 
Hog Hauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cali
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Engine sits back a bit further, nissens 3row+ 740 turbo + 940 fan =s no fit. The one that i could get it to almost work was mounting the fan in the stock shroud but even that was no go.
So was there a different fan that you got to work?
What about that duel Toyota fans in the modification section has anyone done that?
Hog Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #361
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS
 
WindowsBreakerG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western PA
Default

I used a chinese spal knock off though i have cooling issues and IDK if they are related to the fan or not.

I am hoping with a 360 waterpump I can squeeze in a thunderbird fan. Might try it now but I think it's too thick
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #362
Texas240
Prius Owner
 
Texas240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Engine sits back a bit further, nissens 3row+ 740 turbo + 940 fan =s no fit. The one that i could get it to almost work was mounting the fan in the stock shroud but even that was no go.
thats a damn shame
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #363
swiftjustice44
Central Coast Brickyard
 
swiftjustice44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DALLAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
Engine sits back a bit further, nissens 3row+ 740 turbo + 940 fan =s no fit. The one that i could get it to almost work was mounting the fan in the stock shroud but even that was no go.
I suppose there may be a tiny amount of variation between individual cars. Granted my 84 760T had a B23, but I was able to do it by using the stock fan shroud. I had to grind down flush the centering snout that comes through the water pump pulley. I also had to grind down the heads of the bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump...pretty sure I ended up with a solid 1/8 inch clearance! And that was w/ a 3 row...
__________________
________________________________
Used to have a few old Volvos...a couple even ran...


feedback thread
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...swiftjustice44
swiftjustice44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #364
leslie_s
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
I used a chinese spal knock off though i have cooling issues and IDK if they are related to the fan or not.

I am hoping with a 360 waterpump I can squeeze in a thunderbird fan. Might try it now but I think it's too thick
are the cooling issues worse when youre idling/driving in heavy, slow traffic, or when youre cruising down the highway at speed? the fan makes a lot more difference on the slow side of things, unless its ridiculously powerful, like the fan on semi engines which wastes up to 70 horsepower. rather than some knock off fan, you're better off getting an oem fan that'll fit. tape measure plus junkyards are awesome. i especially like how at my junkyards, i can grab a part like a fan, with a 20 foot tail of electrical wiring for it, relays, etc, for it, without them paying attention to the tail. I paid $20 for an e-fan from a 92 740..not bad. there's GM fans, etc, that'll fit, thats what the tape measure is for..
leslie_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #365
miguel.760ti
Board Member
 
miguel.760ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Default

I'll take some pics of my 940 fan setup, it's adapted to the stock clutch fan shroud with the stock rad & an NPR with a 1/2" or so clearance.

You guys are doin it wrong
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #366
Lord_Athlon
300+ Clurb
 
Lord_Athlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eau Claire, WI.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
I'll take some pics of my 940 fan setup, it's adapted to the stock clutch fan shroud with the stock rad & an NPR with a 1/2" or so clearance.

You guys are doin it wrong
They dont have ME installing fans =P
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
simple...just throw the redblock in the trash and install, well, almost anything modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #367
miguel.760ti
Board Member
 
miguel.760ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Default

Alex has the magic e-fan touch!
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #368
sandrock740
Board Member
 
sandrock740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bayamon,Puerto Rico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
I'll take some pics of my 940 fan setup, it's adapted to the stock clutch fan shroud with the stock rad & an NPR with a 1/2" or so clearance.

You guys are doin it wrong
i did the same i use the fan clutch shroud too
__________________
1989.740-SE look /hd billys's,apex springs,ipd sways,ipd panhard rod,ipd chassis braces kit,ipd cam kit, 1988 765T daily driver
photo(17) by 89turbo, on Flickrfeedback thread http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=218447
sandrock740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #369
leslie_s
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrock740 View Post
i did the same i use the fan clutch shroud too
the only important part is that the shroud is ducting air through the entire radiator, and that it looks good (which is important to me, but not others...heh!). I probably would have done that, but i got my e-fan at the same time as installing a turbo and intercooler, and the stock shroud wasnt even close to fitting. I cut down the 92 740 shroud to fit though. I'll have pics after i get the damn thing in the car. F my job.
leslie_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #370
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS
 
WindowsBreakerG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftjustice44 View Post
I suppose there may be a tiny amount of variation between individual cars. Granted my 84 760T had a B23, but I was able to do it by using the stock fan shroud. I had to grind down flush the centering snout that comes through the water pump pulley. I also had to grind down the heads of the bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump...pretty sure I ended up with a solid 1/8 inch clearance! And that was w/ a 3 row...
Well I guess if I ground it down i'd have about an 1/8th" of clearance too but that seems crazy close to me. I had about a 1/16" if I only attached it on 3 sides but that was too close for comfort for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_s View Post
are the cooling issues worse when youre idling/driving in heavy, slow traffic, or when youre cruising down the highway at speed? the fan makes a lot more difference on the slow side of things, unless its ridiculously powerful, like the fan on semi engines which wastes up to 70 horsepower. rather than some knock off fan, you're better off getting an oem fan that'll fit. tape measure plus junkyards are awesome. i especially like how at my junkyards, i can grab a part like a fan, with a 20 foot tail of electrical wiring for it, relays, etc, for it, without them paying attention to the tail. I paid $20 for an e-fan from a 92 740..not bad. there's GM fans, etc, that'll fit, thats what the tape measure is for..
I don't have issues at highway speed unless i am climbing a fairly steep long grade. My 2.5" thick knock off spal barely fits which makes finding an OEM fan that fits almost impossible. That's why i started this thread http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=3721986 so i can put a ford fan in. If you'd like to help me figure out my issue please post in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_s View Post
the only important part is that the shroud is ducting air through the entire radiator, and that it looks good (which is important to me, but not others...heh!). I probably would have done that, but i got my e-fan at the same time as installing a turbo and intercooler, and the stock shroud wasnt even close to fitting. I cut down the 92 740 shroud to fit though. I'll have pics after i get the damn thing in the car. F my job.
I used the mech fan shroud too 940 fan with the cut should also rubbed
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #371
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

Gonna go grab a 960 fan tomorrow. That one looks the cleanest, and plus it plugs right up to a stock relay. Great read! So much good info on this site.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin
i improved my life by just getting rid of my 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Space time farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #372
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS
 
WindowsBreakerG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western PA
Default

late 940 and 960 have the same fan as far as I know.
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #373
Hog Hauler
Board Member
 
Hog Hauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cali
Default

Well I got my 940 e-fan installed today and it's working great. My first attempt didnt go so well because I used the cut down 940 shroud and it just wouldn't fit. So today I tried again and adapted it to my factory shroud and with a few minor adjustments it's working great with a good 3/16" of clearance between the water pump bolts and the fan motor. I know it's pretty close but I think I can live with that. Thanks for everyones input.
Hog Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #374
wooble
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Surrey, UK
Default

Ass. Turns out the ECU in my '93 240 doesn't have E-fan control, so not all 9xx series ECUs have it as standard as I was told. I think I'll have to go with the BMW 50042 fan switch in a tee on the upper rad hose.

EDIT: Or I would if you could get a rad hose too with an M14 thread in it, which you can't apparently. Anybody know what car I could get a 2-speed fan switch like the BMW one out of, but with a 1/8 NPT thread to fit the rad hose adapters on the market? or hell, even a 1/8NPT to M14 adapter would work if I could find one the right way round.

Last edited by wooble; 05-07-2011 at 01:19 PM..
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #375
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Just use the switch in the radiator, if it has one. I put a colder switch in mine though. It works great and holds the temp solid with the 87 deg. Celsius tstat in there.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.