home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition > the vault

Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #201
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

As a heads up, I found out this weekend a 940 efan doesn't fit with a 3 core nissens, it might barely clear if you cock the shroud to the side by leaving the passengers side bottom mount out but that doesn't seem like a good idea (I bolted it into the mech fan shroud, the normal one won't fit either cause it hits on the water pump).

I ordered a single speed fan (16") spal knock off for $50 on eBay that flows 2500 cfm From these guys http://championcooling.com/. I am going to mount it in the stock shroud. Anyone see an issue with running a single speed fan? Should I change my saab sender temp or move the sender? Or both?
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #202
MrBill
fige=500Dollar Mistake

You shouldn't use the original shroud.

Use the entire shroud that came with the efan and cut it down using a chopsaw.

or if you have $ pull the 940 radiator, intercooler, and piping and get yourself a nice little upgrade
1978 244dl - Down for paint/16vt
93 245 - Kaplhenke Shortened coilovers with adjustable Koni Reds, adjustable rear spring perches with revalved bilstein S-10 shocks. Turbo 2.5 motor in the works.
10 v50 - Unobtainium T5 R-Design AWD M66
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #203
WindowsBreakerG4

Even if I cut it it wouldn't fit, that wouldn't gain me anything sadly. I thought about going that route at one point but I like my oil cooler and want to add in my npr but some day i might still do that. Got my 16" could probably do a bit bigger but w/e, just need to figure out how to mount it in the stock shroud.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #204
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

you will need a Volvo 360 waterpump and pully.

My Seller Feedback
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #205
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #206
WindowsBreakerG4

I thought about going that route, I might still, The fake spal i bought should clear fine. It's freaking thin!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #207
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

I'll admit, custom electrical isn't my forte, though I've been really, really jazzed about putting an electric fan in my '79 242. I grabbed an e-fan out of an 850 yesterday, and grabbed a couple of the wires and relays that were in the holder just above it, though I don't think I got everything I need...

I seem to think that separate harness has nothing to do with the e-fan. I need what plugs to the connector on the fan, right? Installation makes sense, drill a couple holes for four screws to hold it into place. As for wiring, I'm still a little lost...one lead to the battery with a 30 amp fuse, but then there's two other wires on the fan...what do I do with those? Am I missing a connector, wires and a relay still? The temp sensor that came in my '79's radiator will or will not be sufficient? Will a temp sensor from a 740 16v be any better?
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #208
Texas240
Prius Owner

the green wire coming from the fan is the low speed. red is high speed.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #209
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

will this relay work...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #210
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylesofsmyles View Post
will this relay work...
beats me, I dont know the know the 850 electric system other then the efan is the same
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #211
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

looks like i forgot to snag the relay i needed, so back to the bone yard. I'm hoping to have this done by tuesday night. oh. and what rating am i looking for on the temp sensors?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #212
WindowsBreakerG4

If you're using a saab one, buy a new one. They seem to like to go bad
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #213
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

i'm pretty well there, just a wire or two crossed.

got the fan installed, with the 850 relay, fusible link from starter and used a 740 compression-fit radiator fan switch. The fan won't go on and lets the temp run up way too high...north of 9 o'clock, which it's never done before. Lan told me something about grounding one of the temp wires and triggering only the high or low speed. it seems silly, considering i have a dual speed fan, to not utilize that...maybe it's overkill though.

i wired the two skinny yellow wires off the relay to the the two prongs on the fan switch, so what do I do with the two yellow leads and what do I do with the two prongs on the fan switch.

Also, there's rumor that my 740 fan switch will turn on too hot...what's the magic number for keeping my water cool?

either way, I need to get one of those two speeds working ASAP, as in now!

wired the way i have it now, red wire on the positive, black grounded, will the fan work regardless of ignition position? could I route the positive to the starter as on the 850.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #214
WindowsBreakerG4

The switch in the top of the Rad tends to let temps get way too hot, use a saab switch in the bottom hose, Think I used an 87on/82off and honestly I think I could go a tad warmer. I'd just hook that to the high speed and call it a day.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #215
miguel.760ti
Board Member

Looking to do this swap on my 760, I have a 960 fan with the relay.

I want to wire the fan using the saab temp switch for low speed but I don't want to wire it to constant 12v, I want to do it to switched 12v. How would i go about doin that?

Also, on the saab temp senders there's 2 prongs, one is for the signal wire coming out of the volvo relay and the other one is for ground, right?

1988 760 Turbo - garage queen, everlasting project
also
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - size small daily
1995 Ford F150 - size large daily
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #216
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
The switch in the top of the Rad tends to let temps get way too hot, use a saab switch in the bottom hose, Think I used an 87on/82off and honestly I think I could go a tad warmer. I'd just hook that to the high speed and call it a day.
as in, the fan come on too soon?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #217
WindowsBreakerG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
Looking to do this swap on my 760, I have a 960 fan with the relay.

I want to wire the fan using the saab temp switch for low speed but I don't want to wire it to constant 12v, I want to do it to switched 12v. How would i go about doin that?

Also, on the saab temp senders there's 2 prongs, one is for the signal wire coming out of the volvo relay and the other one is for ground, right?
Why would you want it to be switched? It's nice having it be able to run after you shut the car off imho. You Could use a relay on the signal wire inbetween the switch and the ground that would close when ever they car is turned on but again I ask why? My fan runs maybe 15-20 seconds max when I shut my car off
Quote:
as in, the fan come on too soon?
No it's not coming on soon enough. Also the rating of that switch is really really warm, it's supposed to be the OH****WE'REOVERHEATING OMGWTFBBQ!!!1ONE1!!!11! switch. I think the position can cause it to come on too soon as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #218
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
No it's not coming on soon enough. Also the rating of that switch is really really warm, it's supposed to be the OH****WE'REOVERHEATING OMGWTFBBQ!!!1ONE1!!!11! switch. I think the position can cause it to come on too soon as well.
haha, this one goes to 11. gotcha...gonna inquire about lower temp switches. yeah, maybe just wire it into the high speed and call it a day.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #219
WindowsBreakerG4

I would, no idea if you can put something lower temp in that top spot but i don't like that top spot regardless, if you get a tad low on coolant you might not have that sensor in coolant still, giving you false readings.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #220
miguel.760ti
Board Member

Quote:
Why would you want it to be switched? It's nice having it be able to run after you shut the car off imho. You Could use a relay on the signal wire inbetween the switch and the ground that would close when ever they car is turned on but again I ask why? My fan runs maybe 15-20 seconds max when I shut my car off
I don't want the damn thing draining my battery, but if it's only going to run for a short while after I shut the car off I'll just leave it alone
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #221
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

got it working, sorta!

i tried running a ground to the temp sensor/relay...the only bummer is that i gotta manually connect the wire under the hood when I start it up and take it off.

no less, I have an e-fan on my 242! so much quieter!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #222
WindowsBreakerG4

Quote:
got it working, sorta!

i tried running a ground to the temp sensor/relay...the only bummer is that i gotta manually connect the wire under the hood when I start it up and take it off.

no less, I have an e-fan on my 242! so much quieter!
Like I said, saab switch ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.760ti View Post
I don't want the damn thing draining my battery, but if it's only going to run for a short while after I shut the car off I'll just leave it alone
It's not going to kill your battery
Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #223
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

spoke to the folks at Groton. they are familiar with the e-fan conversion.

the tech rep I spoke with suggested I use fan switch #1274962; it'll fit the radiator like stock and should start the fan in time...

http://auto-parts.fcpgroton.com/sear...?query=1274962
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #224
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

I've just gotta better understand my wiring. from the relay, there's a single power wire...I have it on the "+" side of the batter, but am wondering if I put it on the starter, will it only work with the ignition on?

the harness that goes from the fan, just plugs into the relay, so there isn't really any question there.

there are two leads small yellow leads off the relay, labeled output. I have one directly connected to a single prong on the fan switch, the other one is connected to the other prong on the fan switch, but I spliced it so I can run a lead to the ground.

the ground coming directly off the fan is grounded as well.

This setup means I have to manually connect and disconnect my ground. sorry, wiring isn't my thing, and I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I want it such that the fan will turn on and off on it's own, preferably only on the high setting.

I'm starting to think that the two wires off the output of the relay are for two separate switches, one to trigger high and one to trigger low...no? so unless I install another fan switch, I'll only have one speed...sorry if this has all been said in the 8 pages before me, but I'm just not getting the big picture.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #225
eurotrash940
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
960/940/850 all had the same 2 speed electric fan.

15 months after installing the 940 fan in the 240, it finally blew the 30a fuse this past weekend. I caught it in traffic as the temp gauge (compensation board removed) spike past the half way point but long before the red. I replaced the fuse (always carry spare fuses in the glove box) and I was back in business in 3 minutes.
This is the wiring diagram for the Volvo fan and relay.
If you hook up the thin wire labeled in the above diagram as B2 (Yel/Brn) to Ground, you'll get high speed only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
TB the new home of the internet special olympics.
eurotrash940 is offline   Reply With Quote